Asia top 10 Expat package breakdown

23 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1602 posts
809 upvotes
GTA
Interesting information...
On another note, I'll surprised middle eastern countries such as United Arab Emirates or Kuwait did not make it.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1598 posts
627 upvotes
Ottawa
This is from the employer perspective I guess. As an employee who cares how much tax my employer is paying on my behalf I just care what I actually receive. In other words I am not better off in Japan than Singapore or Hong Kong.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2955 posts
2345 upvotes
Full article from a Thai paper.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30369903

What is spurring that low cost countries like Thailand are almost on par with Japan, HK and Singapore.

No wonder everything is getting so expensive in Thailand.

martydxb wrote:
May 24th, 2019 6:02 am
On another note, I'll surprised middle eastern countries such as United Arab Emirates or Kuwait did not make it.
Asia focused.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1841 posts
767 upvotes
HK
BiegeToyota wrote:
May 24th, 2019 6:25 am
No wonder everything is getting so expensive in Thailand.
Still relatively cheaper than western world, if you are able to command the same salary.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the long working hours in Bangkok (or Asia is general).
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1559 posts
1087 upvotes
martydxb wrote:
We don't know the methodology behind this data. Expats from Africa, India or Pakistan in UEA and cie earn peanuts so they would drive the avg down. Also these countries provide income tax free compensation (for most) so the overall compensation doesn't have to be as high.

On this, I would have expected Singapore and HK to be higher.
Feb 13, 2017
238 posts
152 upvotes
toronto, ontario
peli33 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 1:38 pm
We don't know the methodology behind this data. Expats from Africa, India or Pakistan in UEA and cie earn peanuts so they would drive the avg down. Also these countries provide income tax free compensation (for most) so the overall compensation doesn't have to be as high.
+1

On its surface, much of this "data" is bogus.

What is the definition of "middle management"?
What are considered to be "benefits"? This shows all benefits as taxable when, in reality, many benefits (company subsidized housing and even flight allowances) are non-taxable.
Is the "salary" portion assumed to be after-tax cash-in-hand? Does this mean no middle management expat earns more than $100,000 after-tax? Why would a foreign-trained middle manager work at any of these locations since they could earn an equivalent (or better) salary in their home country?

I have first-hand experience with Japan, Hong Kong, and the Philippines. The "benefits" numbers are grossly inflated and the salary portion is grossly undervalued.
Aug 7, 2014
536 posts
217 upvotes
1) These foreign expats are generally highly foreign educated, with work experience and/or connections
2) They are generally bi or tri linguals, with fluent in local languages
3) They work long hours

Many middle managers in north america wouldn't fit.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4951 posts
4865 upvotes
Vancouver
martydxb wrote:
While the Middle East is technically in Asia on a purely physiographical basis, physical geography is hardly the yardstick used to define Asia these days. I mean, who really thinks of Qatar, Israel, or even Russia when someone mentions Asia? Even including India is a bit of a stretch for many.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Jul 5, 2010
280 posts
123 upvotes
Off course all those countries are in Asia? You seem to be confusing Far East with Asia.

Turkey is famous for being 1% in Europe and 99 in Asia.

More than 2/3 of Russia is in Asia. Indian sub continent is in Asia, it’s called South Asia. People of sub continent are called south Asians.

Your definition of Asia seems to be straight out of Markham.
Kiraly wrote:
May 24th, 2019 9:42 pm
While the Middle East is technically in Asia on a purely physiographical basis, physical geography is hardly the yardstick used to define Asia these days. I mean, who really thinks of Qatar, Israel, or even Russia when someone mentions Asia? Even including India is a bit of a stretch for many.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1061 posts
120 upvotes
chicu1981 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 10:50 pm
Your definition of Asia seems to be straight out of Markham.
Or maybe even South Carolina - this came to my mind :) -

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21937 posts
2455 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote:
May 24th, 2019 9:42 pm
While the Middle East is technically in Asia on a purely physiographical basis, physical geography is hardly the yardstick used to define Asia these days.
Physical geography is the only yardstick used to define Asia.
Nov 25, 2009
276 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver
What are those benefits that are so high?