• Mar 1st, 2006 5:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
186 posts
1 upvote

Asian Legend - great food

I went to Asian Legend in Markham today (3636 Steeles Ave E) and it was really good. I loved the green onion pancake and the corn & crap soup (among other things). Went with a bunch of colleagues and they all loved it too...will definitely go back!
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1665 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
They have a store in downtown China Town too. They renovated it 1-2 yrs ago. Very nice decor. Highly recommomanded despite the filthy Dundas Street in China Town. I once took my colleagues (non Asian) there to have lunch and they love it very much.

Just did a google search and they actually have a website http://www.asianlegend.ca/

For those who never had Chinese food, take a look, it's pretty yummy.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3642 posts
781 upvotes
ayeung wrote:They have a store in downtown China Town too. They renovated it 1-2 yrs ago. Very nice decor. Highly recommomanded despite the filthy Dundas Street in China Town. I once took my colleagues (non Asian) there to have lunch and they love it very much.

Just did a google search and they actually have a website http://www.asianlegend.ca/

For those who never had Chinese food, take a look, it's pretty yummy.
By the look of the new place, it seems as though they are trying to compete with restaurants like Spring Rolls whose decor is reallly modern looking. I've seen a lot of non-asians there too, the place is really good. In my opinion, for really good authentic Chinese food, Spring Rolls doesn't even compare, the food at Chinese restaurants are so much better. But the presentation at Spring Rolls is more pleasing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5180 posts
272 upvotes
I went to Asian Legend on Yonge St. north of Sheppard and I would never go back again. The food was not that good and it was way overpriced. I don't think the food was meant to be Authentic chinese because it was definitely not. It's more like what they would serve at Mandarin. More westernized style.
This space for rent.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24265 posts
1530 upvotes
Markham, ON
ive been to all the locations and all of them are good...but if i had the choice i would go to 369 at hwy 7 and kennedy...love the green tea they serve
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2769 posts
160 upvotes
I know the owners of Asian Legend, my brother went to high school with him, and was his best man at his wedding..
What he has done with Asian Legend is really a good entreprenuer success story..

He started with one little food court style booth at the chinatown center serving taiwanese style food back in the 1980's......And expanded to 5 flourishing restaurants and a bar(Used to be called Midnight Oil, now I think its call R.Lounge) on Steeles and Warden in a short time period is very good.

He food used to be so good and authentic taiwanese food. When his father was the chef of the original restaurant in Spadina Chinatown, that was the golden period of their food.....
They used to have the best chinese donuts(the long fried dough thingy) and the sticky rice rolls...
But after his dad retired, and the opening of the other stores...The quality of the food is not as good as before...
however, they still have some of the decent Taiwanese food in toronto.

Nice people too, really down to earth.....treats their employees well.....as evident by the long-time serving employees working for him...
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2002
1066 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I used to love goin to that place, especially when they were on like the 2nd level of a shopping center west of Spadina / Dundas, the food was really great there. It was still good after they moved to their own location, but I found the food quality started to fall after they had that renovation, haven't really gone in 3 years...
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
my friend who was a cook at asian legend (at a few locations he worked) said the best one is at commerce gate. the other locations' chef's pay less attention to the quality he said. but when he cooks, it tastes just like asian legend, especially the braised beef noodles :lol:
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24265 posts
1530 upvotes
Markham, ON
gilboman wrote:my friend who was a cook at asian legend (at a few locations he worked) said the best one is at commerce gate. the other locations' chef's pay less attention to the quality he said. but when he cooks, it tastes just like asian legend, especially the braised beef noodles :lol:

hehe for some reason i would rank the one at commerce gate the lowest among them...for some reason i like the one at Warden and Steeles...dont know why tho... :confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1043 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
tonic wrote:I went to Asian Legend in Markham today (3636 Steeles Ave E) and it was really good. I loved the green onion pancake and the corn & crap soup (among other things). Went with a bunch of colleagues and they all loved it too...will definitely go back!
I have never eaten corn and crap soup and I would never promote a restaurant that has corn and crap soup. :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1307 posts
3 upvotes
jesterwilly2004 wrote:I have never eaten corn and crap soup and I would never promote a restaurant that has corn and crap soup. :lol:
I was just about to say "HOW COME NOBODY NOTICED THE FACT THAT HE SAID CRAP AND NOT CRAB?!?!"

ahha
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
186 posts
1 upvote
hahaha oops..it definitely was CRAB, not crap!!
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
385 posts
commie wrote:I know the owners of Asian Legend, my brother went to high school with him, and was his best man at his wedding..
What he has done with Asian Legend is really a good entreprenuer success story..
Leacock?