160 upvotes
ballz wrote:Leacock?
Nope....downtown......in the hood...parkdale CI
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1292 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
boonjaca wrote: In my opinion, for really good authentic Chinese food, Spring Rolls doesn't even compare, the food at Chinese restaurants are so much better. But the presentation at Spring Rolls is more pleasing.
I always thought SR is southeastern asian with few added chinese dishes to please non-asians. at least the one at Bay atrium is. never been to others.
"Life is short, running makes it seem longer."
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
Dogs aren't our whole lives......they just make our lives whole.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
I first knew of their food during the mid-'80s when they had a restaurant on the second floor of a new (then it was) mall on Dundas west of Spadina. It was a refreshing experience as pretty much all other Chinese restaurants at that time served only Cantonese food. Their northern specialty beef noodles & pancake combo was awesome. The owners were very friendly. We spoke mandarin when we ordered (pretty rare at the time) and they came out afterwards to talk to us afterwards.

Nowdays, Asian Legend is too commercialized. The food is not bad but not as good as before. And expensive as hell. It's definitely catering towards the shi-shi foo-foo caucasian crowd who thinks it cost $2 to make a Chinese pancake.

Would I go? Probably. But only for special occassions when I can justify the higher price.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:I first knew of their food during the mid-'80s when they had a restaurant on the second floor of a new (then it was) mall on Dundas west of Spadina. It was a refreshing experience as pretty much all other Chinese restaurants at that time served only Cantonese food. Their northern specialty beef noodles & pancake combo was awesome. The owners were very friendly. We spoke mandarin when we ordered (pretty rare at the time) and they came out afterwards to talk to us afterwards.

Nowdays, Asian Legend is too commercialized. The food is not bad but not as good as before. And expensive as hell. It's definitely catering towards the shi-shi foo-foo caucasian crowd who thinks it cost $2 to make a Chinese pancake.

Would I go? Probably. But only for special occassions when I can justify the higher price.
i find their prices to be very cheap compared to other comparable places with similar or inferior quality like fang's or ding tai fung
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2769 posts
160 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:I first knew of their food during the mid-'80s when they had a restaurant on the second floor of a new (then it was) mall on Dundas west of Spadina. It was a refreshing experience as pretty much all other Chinese restaurants at that time served only Cantonese food. Their northern specialty beef noodles & pancake combo was awesome. The owners were very friendly. We spoke mandarin when we ordered (pretty rare at the time) and they came out afterwards to talk to us afterwards.

That place was their first start-up and had their best food.....The chef was the father...and he once had an article written up in the Toronto Star about his chinese donuts....I think the clippings is posted up on some of the other restaurants now..

I still remember how those donuts taste, so tasty.....And the fresh soya milks they had....with the sticky rice roll....and the cold sliced pig's feet.....and the steamed dumplings filled with soup....
Very good northern delights. Too bad the quality has declined...But that is to be expected as it has become more of a 'chain' like restaurant.
The food is still better than alot of its competitors though.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3629 posts
768 upvotes
Candiana wrote:I always thought SR is southeastern asian with few added chinese dishes to please non-asians. at least the one at Bay atrium is. never been to others.
Yeah, it is a mix of southeastern asian foods but I was only referring to the Chinese portions of the food.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
Candiana wrote:I always thought Spring Roll is southeastern asian with few added chinese dishes to please non-asians. at least the one at Bay atrium is. never been to others.
Spring Roll was started by a Chinese person who probably lived in Vietnam and Thailand.
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
keanefan wrote:Spring Roll was started by a Chinese person who probably lived in Vietnam and Thailand.
That would explain why the food is mediocre like every other Pho restaurant you see except this one serves pad thai.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
Irb wrote:That would explain why the food is mediocre like every other Pho restaurant you see except this one serves pad thai.
The original Spring Roll on Yonge, near Bloor was good. Everybody agreed that it was good.

Then Spring Roll expanded and it's now like a chain restaurant.

I looked inside their kitchen at the Yonge/Dundas location and there were young, non-Chinese people cooking the food.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4586 posts
1728 upvotes
Markham
not a big fan of spring roll, guess i know that I can better quality food at lower prices elsewhere minus the decor/atmosphere. Then it's because I eat at a lot of different asian places. Though I love the trend of modern looking chinese places (go4tea, crazy sushi, etc), I love modern decors. Haven't tried asian legend but my consensus from my friends is that like the ramen place at warden and steeles, decent food at overpriced.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
1120 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Asian Legends on Yonge is pretty good. Their braised beef is soso, but their other dishes are better than most chinese restaraunts. You can totally tell it's catering more to non-asians now. The pricing is more expensive then your typical scarborough restaraunts.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2171 posts
2 upvotes
every Chinese restaurant in downtown & mississauga Chinatown is more expensive than Markham Scarborough Chinatown. It's a fact everyone knows.

For me I feel the price at Asian Legend is quite decent mainly b/c I live in Etobicoke and downtown is the closest place I can go for Chinese food.

I like the taste at Asian Legend as well, especially since I came from North Eastern China. The new renovation at Dundas location is great, who likes to eat at a crappy, dirty and smelly place?? Besides the AC in the summer is simply awsome.

If you feel Asian Legend is overpriced, you should come to small town like Kingston and order some Chinese food, it'll cost at least $8/dish before tax, and everything sux majorly, no kidding at all.