Students

Ask any question you have about applying to Med School!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2010 11:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes

Ask any question you have about applying to Med School!

Hey guys!

I just thought I'd add a thread about med schools here. I have reasonable expertise about a lot of different facets about the Canadian medical school system and know quite a bit about international medicine as well. I know that there may be some others on this forum who can help as well.

First tip:

If you want to practice in Canada, try your best to avoid Caribbean Medical Schools. Not only is it an almost-insurmountable amount of work to get back, but there is (wrongfully) a negative stigma attached to those who graduate from such institutions.

Ask away!
131 replies
Nov 4, 2006
462 posts
1 upvote
I have some friends at SGU, and I had a small group tutor who did his MD in Ireland who's doing family practice here (originally from Canada). Foreign grads might get second tier choices in CARMS matches, but it's not like you won't be able to practice...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
sockhead wrote: I have some friends at SGU, and I had a small group tutor who did his MD in Ireland who's doing family practice here (originally from Canada). Foreign grads might get second tier choices in CARMS matches, but it's not like you won't be able to practice...
Ireland and SGU are two completely different ballgames (Ireland leaving more possibilities open). And the fact of the matter is that SGU costs about the same as most American medical schools but will leave you at a disadvantage even though an exceptional few can match. We can't say how much of a disadvantage but looking at any of the previous years shows that a majority do NOT match in Canada. They will be able to match in America, but Canada the stats are quite clear.

If you're a Canadian at a US school, you are no longer considered an international grad for residency matching and thus you a huge advantage over any other foreign grads.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1816 posts
29 upvotes
_RFDealt_ wrote: Hey guys!

I just thought I'd add a thread about med schools here. I have reasonable expertise about a lot of different facets about the Canadian medical school system and know quite a bit about international medicine as well. I know that there may be some others on this forum who can help as well.

First tip:

If you want to practice in Canada, try your best to avoid Caribbean Medical Schools. Not only is it an almost-insurmountable amount of work to get back, but there is (wrongfully) a negative stigma attached to those who graduate from such institutions.

Ask away!
Which medical school did you attend?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
sweeper wrote: Which medical school did you attend?
Haha, I have not attended just yet. But I was hoping to give advice to those in high school and in early undergrad! I am currently waiting to hear back from Canadian schools after applying and have acceptances at 3 American institutions (Case Western, Wayne State and Saint Louis) for Sept. 2010.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1816 posts
29 upvotes
_RFDealt_ wrote: Haha, I have not attended just yet. But I was hoping to give advice to those in high school and in early undergrad! I am currently waiting to hear back from Canadian schools after applying and have acceptances at 3 American institutions (Case Western, Wayne State and Saint Louis) for Sept. 2010.
Congratulations.

Medical school in Ireland / Caribbean can cost upwards to 200 000K plus. Yikes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
sweeper wrote: Congratulations.

Medical school in Ireland / Caribbean can cost upwards to 200 000K plus. Yikes.
Yup! It's about the same in the States, maybe slightly more. But you have a huge advantage if you want to come back to Canada or do something more specialized in the States.
Feb 24, 2008
853 posts
6 upvotes
Why don't they increase tuition further? I'm sure they can profit a lot more as demand stays around the same.

And why don't they open up more spots to profit even further?
Aug 22, 2007
752 posts
33 upvotes
_RFDealt_ wrote: Hey guys!
but there is (wrongfully) a negative stigma attached to those who graduate from such institutions.

How is it a wrong stigma? That someone failed canadian standards and went aboard with lower standards and essentially paid for their MD.

Ok, may be that was an unfair remark, but let me explain:

Just because someone is a doctor, regardless of where they got their education, does not make them a good practitioner. I have heard plenty of horror stories and seen first hand the kind of idiots that are in the system.

Most Canadian medical schools fail to admit problem solvers, and generally kind of individuals that make good physicians. The narrow focus on GPA by schools like UofT for example. I am admitting there to be a severe deficiency in the Canadian medical school admissions.

Good physicians are hard to find, like good mechanic, lawyers, accountants etc. But if had nothing else to go by except where they got their eduction, a doctor with foreign training would have to work extra hard to prove their worth.
Jun 29, 2005
906 posts
25 upvotes
Knitecrow wrote: How is it a wrong stigma? That someone failed canadian standards and went aboard with lower standards and essentially paid for their MD.

Ok, may be that was an unfair remark, but let me explain:

Just because someone is a doctor, regardless of where they got their education, does not make them a good practitioner. I have heard plenty of horror stories and seen first hand the kind of idiots that are in the system.

Most Canadian medical schools fail to admit problem solvers, and generally kind of individuals that make good physicians. The narrow focus on GPA by schools like UofT for example. I am admitting there to be a severe deficiency in the Canadian medical school admissions.

Good physicians are hard to find, like good mechanic, lawyers, accountants etc. But if had nothing else to go by except where they got their eduction, a doctor with foreign training would have to work extra hard to prove their worth.
As a patient, how would you know? Do you normally open the conversation with your physician with, "Hey, where did you go to school?"
xIcewind
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
funzone36 wrote: Why don't they increase tuition further? I'm sure they can profit a lot more as demand stays around the same.

And why don't they open up more spots to profit even further?
Opening up more spots is a hot topic. Apparently in the early 90s, there was a push from practicing doctors of the time to reduce spots in schools as they thought their jobs were at risk. How silly that was in hindsight. They have added more spots this year but it is always going to be in small increments. The limiting step is having enough spots in hospitals to learn during clerkships.
xIcewind wrote: What are your stats?
Gpa = 3.83. Mcat = 34R (11/11/12/R)
xIcewind wrote: As a patient, how would you know? Do you normally open the conversation with your physician with, "Hey, where did you go to school?"
You'd be surprised how well informed some patients are. Some already have their own diagnosis from Webmd and other sources and they've gone here to read everything they can about their doctor and his/her education history:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/docsearch/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
Knitecrow wrote: How is it a wrong stigma?

That's how. There are thousands of qualified applicants that don't get through the process each year. Some of them, based on sheer luck. Who you get on interview day, how you come across, there's only so much someone can do. Some of the students who I thought would make the best doctors are now in Ireland, Australia and yes, some are in the Caribbean. The stigma is that the education is substandard. The hoops that one has to jump through to get back likely amount to a physician who is more qualified (they're having to pass twice the amount of licensing exams to get back) but people will still not want to deal with them at times.
Jun 29, 2005
906 posts
25 upvotes
_RFDealt_ wrote: Gpa = 3.87. Mcat = 34R (11/11/12/R)
Damn it. I should have applied to American schools...
xIcewind
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7782 posts
973 upvotes
Man, Wayne is sooo friggin expensive.