• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 3:30 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3489 posts
860 upvotes
ammaretto wrote: hi,,,no he did not explain the procedure. my current crown is about 18 yrs old & it became "wobbley" so he removed it & cleaned under it said there was some decay. ;-( a few wks went by & I went back for a mold for my new crown...that's when the post broke. I have no idea if part of it is still in my gum/tooth...

I was just reading about Crown lengthening"...it takes 1-2 weeks to heal.....does that mean I wont have a tooth for that time?......lol...oh lordy
I'd suggest when you see your dentist next time ask him/her all the questions you have in your mind, it's their job to explain to you exactly what they're doing. If you think of anything now... write them down so you won't forget to ask. That should help you settle your nerves a bit by understanding everything that's going on. and you should ask is how confident is your dentist on the longevity of the tooth with a new post/crown/possible crown lengthening. What are the chances that things will break again in a short time?

Sounds like the post was on it's way out anyways if the old crown is " wobbly" in the first place.

As for crown lengthening ( if that's whats being recommended..) don't worry about having no tooth.. if they can temporize it now... it'll be the same. They don't have to remove the temporary crown. The point of the whole procedure is to expose more tooth for the crown to wrap around, since that's where the stability of the crown depends on. It shouldn't be relying on the post for overall structural support. As for time frame, it depends on how your gum heals after the procedure. But usually impression can be taken within 3-4 weeks since the gum will rebound... some say longer.. but depends on the case.
Jan 16, 2019
3 posts
Help. I need some advice. I had recently went to a dentist for a filling on an upper second premolar. When I got home afterwards, I had noticed bruising ("bluish hue") on my face. This looked very embarrassing for me especially when I go out in public. I emailed the office upset that this happened. I stated in email that I would go find another dentist. Is my dentist at fault here for giving me a faulty injection? I am thinking of filing a board complaint. Don't ever want to see that dentist again.
May 13, 2012
530 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
EricH39989 wrote: Help. I need some advice. I had recently went to a dentist for a filling on an upper second premolar. When I got home afterwards, I had noticed bruising ("bluish hue") on my face. This looked very embarrassing for me especially when I go out in public. I emailed the office upset that this happened. I stated in email that I would go find another dentist. Is my dentist at fault here for giving me a faulty injection? I am thinking of filing a board complaint. Don't ever want to see that dentist again.
Sounds like hematoma from local anesthesia injection
It is a very rare incident that can happen to anybody. It will go away with time and it's not the dentist's fault. If you had no problems other than this incident, I recommend you keep seeing the dentist (if you had been seeing this dentist for a while).
Oct 24, 2011
153 posts
104 upvotes
Markham
Silly question, how much does 'color restoration' cost?

The reason why i'm asking is, when I went for my recent cleaning, I was 'advise' to get some 'filling' by the dentist, and for the whole time i thought it's for my sensitive teeth. So I went back to my next visit, they sat me down and did some work on my teeth.

To be honest, i don't really know what they did, the dentist worked on my teeth for about 15 minutes, put 'something' in between my teeth and gum area (surface), and told me i'm done.

My problem (i guess not really a problem) is she charged me $177 per teeth for "Color restoration", and she did it on 3 teeth. The total bill came out to $531 dollars, with my insurance paying for 85% of the cost, i still have to pay around 70 bux out of pocket. Regardless $531 for 15 minutes of work seems a little outrageous to me.

Did i get scammed? What exactly did she do? Is it usually that much for "Color restoration" or whatever she did?

I'm leaning towards not going back to her as I 'feel' that she's not very trustworthy, but I want to get an fair opinion on how much do these dental work truly cost, and the range that dentists might charge.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3489 posts
860 upvotes
Sorkid49 wrote: Silly question, how much does 'color restoration' cost?

The reason why i'm asking is, when I went for my recent cleaning, I was 'advise' to get some 'filling' by the dentist, and for the whole time i thought it's for my sensitive teeth. So I went back to my next visit, they sat me down and did some work on my teeth.

To be honest, i don't really know what they did, the dentist worked on my teeth for about 15 minutes, put 'something' in between my teeth and gum area (surface), and told me i'm done.

My problem (i guess not really a problem) is she charged me $177 per teeth for "Color restoration", and she did it on 3 teeth. The total bill came out to $531 dollars, with my insurance paying for 85% of the cost, i still have to pay around 70 bux out of pocket. Regardless $531 for 15 minutes of work seems a little outrageous to me.

Did i get scammed? What exactly did she do? Is it usually that much for "Color restoration" or whatever she did?

I'm leaning towards not going back to her as I 'feel' that she's not very trustworthy, but I want to get an fair opinion on how much do these dental work truly cost, and the range that dentists might charge.

Thanks in advance.
What does it say on the receipt ? I am guessing it's just a one surface filling that was placed near your gumline. Perhaps you had some erosion/abrasion/abfraction lesions. These frequently show up as "notches" or "divot" on your tooth near the gum line. Could cause sensitivity if they're deep enough. Filling them up sometimes will help prevent the sensitivity. You should just call back to the office and ask what really is "color restoration" , I am sure they'll explain it to you. Next time ask the dentist to explain what and why before they do anything :)
Oct 24, 2011
153 posts
104 upvotes
Markham
coilz wrote: What does it say on the receipt ? I am guessing it's just a one surface filling that was placed near your gumline. Perhaps you had some erosion/abrasion/abfraction lesions. These frequently show up as "notches" or "divot" on your tooth near the gum line. Could cause sensitivity if they're deep enough. Filling them up sometimes will help prevent the sensitivity. You should just call back to the office and ask what really is "color restoration" , I am sure they'll explain it to you. Next time ask the dentist to explain what and why before they do anything :)
The receipt literally said "Color Restoration" x 3... but does 177 per tooth seem much? It's literally 5 minute per tooth work~
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3489 posts
860 upvotes
Sorkid49 wrote: The receipt literally said "Color Restoration" x 3... but does 177 per tooth seem much? It's literally 5 minute per tooth work~
If it is a one surface filling... sounds about the range for that. Yeah you might feel cheated a bit.. but thats how fillings are charged by, not by time spent.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1714 posts
151 upvotes
If I have one dentist, which is okay. But I'd like to get an opinion of another, how would I go about it? I do have dental benefits.

Also is it normal for a dentist to know I clench my tooth but not eager to offer a night guard? Instead suggesting sleep analysis? I feel like I'm wrecking my teeth every time I sleep. But the doctor seems more interested in doing crown work, etc. I could be mis interpreting it though, don't know dentistry.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3489 posts
860 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: If I have one dentist, which is okay. But I'd like to get an opinion of another, how would I go about it? I do have dental benefits.

Also is it normal for a dentist to know I clench my tooth but not eager to offer a night guard? Instead suggesting sleep analysis? I feel like I'm wrecking my teeth every time I sleep. But the doctor seems more interested in doing crown work, etc. I could be mis interpreting it though, don't know dentistry.
Just call up another dental office and make an appointment. Most general dentists' office will welcome new patients. You can always ask them to check if what they have planned will be covered at what % if at all.

As for the sleep analysis thing... perhaps they want more solid evidence that you're clenching. But it'll be better to take care of the clenching/grinding before doing any major restorative work... or else things will break.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3089 posts
588 upvotes
Vancouver
Is a pulpectomy typically considered as part of a root canal? I had an issue where I had to go in for a emergency visit because I was experiencing pain in a deep cavity that was recently filled. Doctor determined tooth was dead and I needed a root canal. She got started with a pulpectomy. The 2nd visit was the rest of the root canal. I got charged for the pulpectomy and for the root canal.

My insurance is now saying they're not covering the pulpectomy because they consider the pulpectomy is done as part of the root canal.

Any insight would be great!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2514 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
Dentist sent me bill for unethical charges

I have had my wisdom teeth removed recently and my dentist told me on the phone that my insurance company will be able to pay for the whole amount. I have noticed that they have submitted two claims for the exact same thing (anesthesia).

They told me that my insurance company only paid for one of the claims, which seems logical considering I only took one pill.

They said they will send the bill to collections unless I pay the remainder.

What should my course of action be? Pay them even if its a fraudulent charge?

I spoke with them and they said based on the record, I still need to pay to clear my account, even after I asked the reason for charging me twice for one pill.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3489 posts
860 upvotes
litebrite wrote: Is a pulpectomy typically considered as part of a root canal? I had an issue where I had to go in for a emergency visit because I was experiencing pain in a deep cavity that was recently filled. Doctor determined tooth was dead and I needed a root canal. She got started with a pulpectomy. The 2nd visit was the rest of the root canal. I got charged for the pulpectomy and for the root canal.

My insurance is now saying they're not covering the pulpectomy because they consider the pulpectomy is done as part of the root canal.

Any insight would be great!
Pulpectomy is basically a Root canal procedure's first part where by the pulp/nerve tissue is removed and maybe some preliminary shaping of the canals. Second part would be final shaping and "filling/sealing" of the canals. Technically a pulpectomy was done... but if you return in a reasonable amount of time to finish the root canal, it's should be counted as a 2 appointment root canal. Talk to your dentist about your concerns and about what the insurance say... I have a feeling the dentist will back down on the pulpectomy charge if you question it. A fair dentist would credit you back the pulpectomy charge or charge something more reasonable to something like " pain control" . Good luck! Hopefully you've solved this issue already!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3489 posts
860 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: Dentist sent me bill for unethical charges

I have had my wisdom teeth removed recently and my dentist told me on the phone that my insurance company will be able to pay for the whole amount. I have noticed that they have submitted two claims for the exact same thing (anesthesia).

They told me that my insurance company only paid for one of the claims, which seems logical considering I only took one pill.

They said they will send the bill to collections unless I pay the remainder.

What should my course of action be? Pay them even if its a fraudulent charge?

I spoke with them and they said based on the record, I still need to pay to clear my account, even after I asked the reason for charging me twice for one pill.
You should talk to the dentist about your concerns of the charges and get some clarification as to the specifics of what was charged and what is it that you have to pay. Is it a co-pay of your insurance? It may even be a procedure that is not covered by your insurance. Check your receipt as well if it is the same procedure the " code" will be the same. If it's a different code then they're different charges. You can also call into your insurance provider to get clarification to the break down of the charges, I am sure they'll want to know if they're being double charged. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3089 posts
588 upvotes
Vancouver
coilz wrote: Pulpectomy is basically a Root canal procedure's first part where by the pulp/nerve tissue is removed and maybe some preliminary shaping of the canals. Second part would be final shaping and "filling/sealing" of the canals. Technically a pulpectomy was done... but if you return in a reasonable amount of time to finish the root canal, it's should be counted as a 2 appointment root canal. Talk to your dentist about your concerns and about what the insurance say... I have a feeling the dentist will back down on the pulpectomy charge if you question it. A fair dentist would credit you back the pulpectomy charge or charge something more reasonable to something like " pain control" . Good luck! Hopefully you've solved this issue already!
Thank you! You hit the nail on the head. I had called back to my dentist a week or so after my insurance told me they wouldn't be covering the pulpectomy and the receptionist told me the dentist looked into it and they would be writing off the amount the insurance isn't covering. So I was off the hook from having to pay the additional difference. I was quite thankful. But afterwards thinking about it some more, they probably tried to see if they could squeeze more money from my insurance. And ya, essentially they backed down after I asked about it.
Oct 16, 2009
50 posts
3 upvotes
I have a question regarding cavity fillings.
I have ~7 fillings in my mouth, mostly metal. I just switched to a new dentist via Opencare, having been with my prior dentist for over a decade (I moved, and my old dentist is a bit of a drive now). On my first appointment, my new dentist informed me that they want to replace 3 of my metal fillings. Dentist showed me pictures of my teeth, the "worst" looking one actually looks pretty bad (in my uneducated opinion) but the dentist poked it pretty hard but I didn't feel any pain (dentist actually poked it before informing me that my fillings needed replacement, to try to "show me" before telling me it needed replacement). The other two fillings the dentist recommended replacing didn't look so bad (but again, that's my uneducated opinion).

Here's the thing, my previous dentist made no mention about any fillings needing replacement (that I remember) and I saw her every 6 months for cleanings (and X-rays as often as my insurance allowed). Actually, I don't remember ever having any fillings replaced (I'm middle-age now), so when my new dentist informed me that they wanted to replace, 3 fillings it was quite a shock to me.

My memory ain't the best, so it's POSSIBLE my previous dentist mentioned filling replacements and I just don't remember. It's also possible I had fillings replaced decades before and I simply don't remember.

Anyway, any thoughts? Is it possible I need to replace 3 fillings, or is the new dentist just trying to take advantage of me?

I have a picture of the filling in the "worst" condition (the one the dentist poked):