• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 3:30 pm
Oct 3, 2017
655 posts
491 upvotes
litebrite wrote: Thank you! You hit the nail on the head. I had called back to my dentist a week or so after my insurance told me they wouldn't be covering the pulpectomy and the receptionist told me the dentist looked into it and they would be writing off the amount the insurance isn't covering. So I was off the hook from having to pay the additional difference. I was quite thankful. But afterwards thinking about it some more, they probably tried to see if they could squeeze more money from my insurance. And ya, essentially they backed down after I asked about it.
Sorry for the long delay in responding to this post but I must say you got lucky with the refund. Our insurance never pays the straight 80% we are supposed to get back (50% on major restorative like crowns etc). They always reduce it and don't cover things. Never EVER had a dentist eat the difference.
Oct 3, 2017
655 posts
491 upvotes
@jellytot88 How can you expect anyone in a public forum to give you such specific advice as to what to get fixed in your mouth? If you are not confident with the dentist you just saw, pony up the $200 to $300 and get a 2nd opinion.

Failed fillings can lead to lost teeth.
Oct 16, 2009
50 posts
3 upvotes
George613 wrote: How can you expect anyone in a public forum to give you such specific advice as to what to get fixed in your mouth?
True enough, but the thread name is "Ask A Dentist", so I saw no harm in asking. And specifically because it's anonymous, there's the advantage that any dentist responding would give impartial advice (as opposed to me seeing another dentist).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3502 posts
861 upvotes
jellytot88 wrote: I have a question regarding cavity fillings.
I have ~7 fillings in my mouth, mostly metal. I just switched to a new dentist via Opencare, having been with my prior dentist for over a decade (I moved, and my old dentist is a bit of a drive now). On my first appointment, my new dentist informed me that they want to replace 3 of my metal fillings. Dentist showed me pictures of my teeth, the "worst" looking one actually looks pretty bad (in my uneducated opinion) but the dentist poked it pretty hard but I didn't feel any pain (dentist actually poked it before informing me that my fillings needed replacement, to try to "show me" before telling me it needed replacement). The other two fillings the dentist recommended replacing didn't look so bad (but again, that's my uneducated opinion).

Here's the thing, my previous dentist made no mention about any fillings needing replacement (that I remember) and I saw her every 6 months for cleanings (and X-rays as often as my insurance allowed). Actually, I don't remember ever having any fillings replaced (I'm middle-age now), so when my new dentist informed me that they wanted to replace, 3 fillings it was quite a shock to me.

My memory ain't the best, so it's POSSIBLE my previous dentist mentioned filling replacements and I just don't remember. It's also possible I had fillings replaced decades before and I simply don't remember.

Anyway, any thoughts? Is it possible I need to replace 3 fillings, or is the new dentist just trying to take advantage of me?

I have a picture of the filling in the "worst" condition (the one the dentist poked):
What was the reason that your new dentist mention these fillings need to be changed? Did they have decay around it? Were they cracked? If they want to change it just cause they're of the metal kind then you should change dentist. IMO they need a better reason than it's the old metal kind, to change a filling. From the looks of the picture those fillings have been in your mouth for decades, although without x-ray it's harder to tell if there is decay around the filling.

Every dentist have different treatment philosophy, and since your old dentist have seen you every 6 months for years, have a better gauge of how your mouth is, maybe he deemed it not that urgent to replace.

Just ask why it needs to be changed out and see what answer you get.
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
1 posts
What goes into how dentists price things and how they choose which insurance companies you work with?
May 6, 2010
589 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond Hill
carriems wrote: 1. Is there any kind of antibacterial medicine to control the development of gum disease ?

Thank you
Peridex.
Oct 3, 2017
655 posts
491 upvotes
Dentists in Ontario have been shut down by their association. Only emergencies and only to prescribe pain meds or antibiotics.

Broke a tooth yesterday and can't be seen in Ottawa.
May 13, 2012
531 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
coversquirrel69 wrote: What goes into how dentists price things and how they choose which insurance companies you work with?
fees are recommended from our association (ODA)
most dentists will work with any insurance
Jun 23, 2006
355 posts
127 upvotes
Could you please tell me what I could use to deep clean & de-stain my Invisalign trays? I’m at the end of my treatment but I’m awaiting for my refinement set. For my weekly trays, I’ve been using a 75/25 mix of 3% H2O2 and Listerine and the staining hadn’t been too bad. I’ve tried the sample pack of cleaning crystals but it’s really no different. Since all BC dentists are suspending non-emergency work, I will have to wait indefinitely to get my refinements. This last tray is getting really gross at its 5th week... what can I do? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3502 posts
861 upvotes
stoppy wrote: Could you please tell me what I could use to deep clean & de-stain my Invisalign trays? I’m at the end of my treatment but I’m awaiting for my refinement set. For my weekly trays, I’ve been using a 75/25 mix of 3% H2O2 and Listerine and the staining hadn’t been too bad. I’ve tried the sample pack of cleaning crystals but it’s really no different. Since all BC dentists are suspending non-emergency work, I will have to wait indefinitely to get my refinements. This last tray is getting really gross at its 5th week... what can I do? Thanks.
Can always try the Polident denture cleaner tablets. For mineral build up, vinegar will work as well. and brush them as well obviously
Jul 15, 2018
10 posts
9 upvotes
What should the appropriate cost be for having a crown placed on a lower incisor.

Tooth previously had a root canal and a filling done. Filling and small portion of the tooth broke off recently. Dentist recommended I get a crown placed because the filling was likely to just break in the future.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3355 posts
1362 upvotes
Anyone have any links or sources for people not in the medical/dental field to buy fog-free masks? Thanks in advance!

My eyeglasses won't stop fogging up with the regular disposable masks I have. As a person outside of these professions, I'm finding it very difficult to find and buy.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1129 posts
585 upvotes
what is the most durable dental implant brand for molars if I am considering porcelain-metal implant & crown? what is the appropriate cost?
[*]
Oct 3, 2017
655 posts
491 upvotes
I paid 2k just for the implant for a bicuspid which is smaller than a molar. Extraction of failed tooth was 1k. Bone graft was 600 and it wasn't a big graft. Crown was 2k which is more than a normal crown because of it going onto an implant. I was not given info on the type of implant just that it included an abutment.

Was well over 6k and took nearly a year to complete. Insurance covered less than 1k.

Be prepared to be bent over.

Good thing is so far mine is holding up well. That is not always the case.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3502 posts
861 upvotes
bilaliz wrote: what is the most durable dental implant brand for molars if I am considering porcelain-metal implant & crown? what is the appropriate cost?
There are only a few popular brands, obviously they all say they're the best. It's usually what the surgeon is familiar with. Get a titanium based abutement, don't go for a zirconia based abutement if they try to sell you on it.