Wheels and Tires

Ask me about Wheel Alignment and Tires

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2022 2:12 pm
Aug 6, 2009
905 posts
333 upvotes
Is a wheel alignment needed if changing from slim to wider tires and vice versa? My winter set is 235/65r18 while my summer set is 265/50r20. There is about 1.3% difference in diameter and 11.8% in width.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I have 2 sets of tires for my car (all season and winter) and put about 16K a year. I tend to do wheel alignments on my vehicle when I purchase new tires so that I can get the most miles out of it and that is generally after 5 years or so when I need tires.

Currently, my vehicle tracks straight and I don't seem to have pulling issues after my last alignment 2 years ago. Does anyone look at alignments after a certain time frame (i.e. every 2 years)? My tires are directional and I figured they might be more sensitive to alignments.

Is it worth the $100 every couple of years or is it a waste of money?
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hightech wrote: I have 2 sets of tires for my car (all season and winter) and put about 16K a year. I tend to do wheel alignments on my vehicle when I purchase new tires so that I can get the most miles out of it and that is generally after 5 years or so when I need tires.

Currently, my vehicle tracks straight and I don't seem to have pulling issues after my last alignment 2 years ago. Does anyone look at alignments after a certain time frame (i.e. every 2 years)? My tires are directional and I figured they might be more sensitive to alignments.

Is it worth the $100 every couple of years or is it a waste of money?
Tracking straight not always indicative of good alignment.

Check tread depth as well for even wear. BUT I would only do if suspect something out of whack... if upon visual inspection when change tires all looks well then just wait.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Sep 3, 2020
234 posts
333 upvotes
Ontario
georvu wrote: Tracking straight not always indicative of good alignment.

Check tread depth as well for even wear. BUT I would only do if suspect something out of whack... if upon visual inspection when change tires all looks well then just wait.
We have new vehicle and have free alignment first year... just not sure if want to have dealership check and they mess up something!!

Like your tread depth suggestion.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
any recommended shops for wheel alignment in Scarborough / Markham? looking to do our BMW after new set of all season tires.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)