Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Newbie
Sep 22, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
inglesito wrote: All of your questions have been answered previously in this forum, but to summarise for you:

1. You may be offered a deal, either in an early resolution meeting with the prosecutor or on the day of your trial, with a lower fine and/or a reduction or elimination of any demerit points.

2. Insurance companies can and probably will raise your premiums whether or not you get demerit points. See https://www.hubinsurancehunter.ca/blog/ ... e-ontario/ for an idea of what may happen.

3. You cannot change the venue. An early resolution meeting by telephone is very likely during the pandemic. I'm not sure if virtual hearings by Zoom for these types of offences might become a thing. It's possible, and I understand more likely for guilty pleas.

4. Minor spelling mistakes by the officer are very unlikely to get you off the hook.

It's a big hit to have to deal with, for sure. Insurance in Mississauga is already above average - if yours is, say, $2000 a year and this pushes that up by 15% for 3 years, then that's a $900 difference, plus whatever fine you have to pay (this is just for example as I have no idea how your insurance company will react or what your current premium is). Some might say it's a disproportionate punishment for the first time you got caught. Others might say that being caught once doesn't mean that it's the first time you did it, and 40 over the limit is getting kind of close to stunt driving. In any case, good luck and keep an eye on your speed!
Thank you very much for the detailed and considered reply.
Newbie
Jul 24, 2020
4 posts
I have 3 cars and my driveway is split by a sidewalk, i keep getting tickets for "obstructing sidewalk" because my bumper spills over the to the sidewalk. There is literally no room for me to park it any other way (can't do parallel because shared driveway with neighbour). Is there any other options for me? Seems unreasonable to keep getting tickets for parking on our own driveway..
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1624 posts
651 upvotes
ATdealz wrote: I have 3 cars and my driveway is split by a sidewalk, i keep getting tickets for "obstructing sidewalk" because my bumper spills over the to the sidewalk. There is literally no room for me to park it any other way (can't do parallel because shared driveway with neighbour). Is there any other options for me? Seems unreasonable to keep getting tickets for parking on our own driveway..
What do you mean your driveway is "split by a sidewalk"
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11726 posts
7988 upvotes
Edmonton
ATdealz wrote: I have 3 cars and my driveway is split by a sidewalk, i keep getting tickets for "obstructing sidewalk" because my bumper spills over the to the sidewalk. There is literally no room for me to park it any other way (can't do parallel because shared driveway with neighbour). Is there any other options for me? Seems unreasonable to keep getting tickets for parking on our own driveway..
Your only real option is to sell a car or investigate expanding your driveway width. That space on the other side of the sidewalk is not really your space, nor is the sidewalk.

C
Newbie
May 4, 2010
22 posts
2 upvotes
Is this possible to negotiate so that you pay fine but there is no conviction? it's the win-win solution, the city gets the money, and you don't have to pay more for the insurance? :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11726 posts
7988 upvotes
Edmonton
jeandoe wrote: Is this possible to negotiate so that you pay fine but there is no conviction? it's the win-win solution, the city gets the money, and you don't have to pay more for the insurance? :)
Dream on. You can negotiate it down to a minimal fine and no demerits, but it will still be a conviction on your record.

C
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1626 posts
1050 upvotes
Markham
jeandoe wrote: Is this possible to negotiate so that you pay fine but there is no conviction? it's the win-win solution, the city gets the money, and you don't have to pay more for the insurance? :)
May as well pay the cop on the spot and ask him to tear up the ticket.... :rolleyes:
Newbie
Jan 2, 2021
5 posts
1 upvote
jeandoe wrote: Is this possible to negotiate so that you pay fine but there is no conviction? it's the win-win solution, the city gets the money, and you don't have to pay more for the insurance? :)
Parking tickets shouldn't have any effect on your insurance.
Newbie
May 4, 2010
22 posts
2 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: May as well pay the cop on the spot and ask him to tear up the ticket.... :rolleyes:
Something like that, the whole thing rolling stop ticket is just cash grab with minimum positive impact, wasting gas and brake.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11726 posts
7988 upvotes
Edmonton
jeandoe wrote: Something like that, the whole thing rolling stop ticket is just cash grab with minimum positive impact, wasting gas and brake.
Do you REALLY think the extra fraction of a second of additional braking to come to a complete stop is going to cost you that much more in gas and brakes? Hope you saved up all that money from your rolling stops to pay for your fines and insurance increases...

C
Newbie
May 4, 2010
22 posts
2 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Do you REALLY think the extra fraction of a second of additional braking to come to a complete stop is going to cost you that much more in gas and brakes? Hope you saved up all that money from your rolling stops to pay for your fines and insurance increases...

C
Yes, see the fuel consumption of hybrid cars? That's where the braking energy goes. Adding up, that's a big number given everyone has to do it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11726 posts
7988 upvotes
Edmonton
jeandoe wrote: Yes, see the fuel consumption of hybrid cars? That's where the braking energy goes. Adding up, that's a big number given everyone has to do it.
They use yield signs in places where the traffic engineers think a “rolling stop” (aka not stopping) is appropriate. I don’t think any municipality places stop signs in the hopes of taking in buckets of cash by catching people blowing by stop signs.

And as I said before... by the time you’ve braked down to what most people consider to be a “rolling stop”, you’ve already lost the majority of your momentum that you claim to be hoping to save. The only way you’d truly save those brakes and gas is by blowing the stop sign entirely.

But you do you. Try that claim in court and see how that goes.

C
Newbie
May 4, 2010
22 posts
2 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: They use yield signs in places where the traffic engineers think a “rolling stop” (aka not stopping) is appropriate. I don’t think any municipality places stop signs in the hopes of taking in buckets of cash by catching people blowing by stop signs.

And as I said before... by the time you’ve braked down to what most people consider to be a “rolling stop”, you’ve already lost the majority of your momentum that you claim to be hoping to save. The only way you’d truly save those brakes and gas is by blowing the stop sign entirely.

But you do you. Try that claim in court and see how that goes.

C
When people do rolling stop, they usually just release the gas pedal or lightly apply the break, the car slows down but doesn't stop, so the momentum is not lost completely. Given it takes much more energy to speed up from 0, just 20% save of momentum multiply by the number of cars on road is huge .

Regarding the cash grab, you know that the easiest way to meet the quota near the end of the month is just hiding in some intersection and give rolling stop tickets right? If it's not purely cash grab, I don't know what is.
Ironically, 90% (or more?) of those tickets are there just because it's safe to do so. See what's in Europe, they have much less stop signs and more yield signs, and they are doing just fine, (and in here, I believe, more than 50% people wouldn't stop completely at stop sign anyway) so much for so called "traffic engineers".
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11726 posts
7988 upvotes
Edmonton
jeandoe wrote: When people do rolling stop, they usually just release the gas pedal or lightly apply the break, the car slows down but doesn't stop, so the momentum is not lost completely. Given it takes much more energy to speed up from 0, just 20% save of momentum multiply by the number of cars on road is huge .

Regarding the cash grab, you know that the easiest way to meet the quota near the end of the month is just hiding in some intersection and give rolling stop tickets right? If it's not purely cash grab, I don't know what is.
Ironically, 90% (or more?) of those tickets are there just because it's safe to do so. See what's in Europe, they have much less stop signs and more yield signs, and they are doing just fine, (and in here, I believe, more than 50% people wouldn't stop completely at stop sign anyway) so much for so called "traffic engineers".
If you’re just letting off the gas when you come to a stop sign, that’s nowhere close to what I’d consider a “rolling stop”. That’s “blowing the stop sign” territory. To me, you’d have to be under 5 km/h to even consider it a “rolling stop”, which isn’t even a thing in any case. But to carry on you example, going down from 50 to 5 km/h means you’ve lost 90% of your inertia.

And I don’t know where the cops hide to meet their monthly quota of tickets because I’ve never gotten a ticket for a “rolling stop”, knock on wood. It’s really not that hard to avoid these “cash grabs” if you simply obey the traffic laws.

Trying to rationalize “saving gas and brakes”, or what they do in Europe isn’t going to make any difference to anyone that matters (like the police, the prosecutor, or the JP). So you can rationalize all you want, but in the end your options are obey the laws, or pay for tickets. There’s no moral victory to be had.

C
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14746 posts
2536 upvotes
jeandoe wrote: When people do rolling stop, they usually just release the gas pedal or lightly apply the break, the car slows down but doesn't stop, so the momentum is not lost completely. Given it takes much more energy to speed up from 0, just 20% save of momentum multiply by the number of cars on road is huge .

Regarding the cash grab, you know that the easiest way to meet the quota near the end of the month is just hiding in some intersection and give rolling stop tickets right? If it's not purely cash grab, I don't know what is.
Ironically, 90% (or more?) of those tickets are there just because it's safe to do so. See what's in Europe, they have much less stop signs and more yield signs, and they are doing just fine, (and in here, I believe, more than 50% people wouldn't stop completely at stop sign anyway) so much for so called "traffic engineers".
What would you do if on a 4-way stop the driver from the right or left direction thought like you and the visibility was completely obstructed?

Top