• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2019 6:52 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver

Asked a recruiter how formal my job interview will be

I've got a job interview for a decent paying warehouse job. It's like at 10:00pm at night, weirdest time for an interview. I asked the interviewer on the phone how formal will the in-person interview be, and if I am expected to wear nice clothing, and she just said, "For this kind of interview you can wear jeans and a t-shirt." I'm not sure how to take that. I'm guessing the interview is just to check my personality?

My commute to the interview is 1 hour. Half hour on bus and half hour walking at 10pm at night, and then going home it would be the same, so I am pleased to hear that "jeans and t-shirt" will be fine, as it will be a more comfortable commute, but i'm not sure if she is testing me?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
lol I think she has much better things to do than to "test you". It's an interview for a warehouse job at a very odd hour, so it makes sense if they cut people some slack on the dress code. If you really want you can dress business casual, but definitely don't go the whole nine yards.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
I suggest khakis and collar shirt.
Nov 30, 2016
389 posts
549 upvotes
Ontario
yea don't wear jeans & t-shirt to an interview, no matter the position. As suggested above go semi-formal or light business casual.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You don't say what your job is, but I would never dress down to jeans and a t-shirt unless it was a manual labour job.

C
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
just put on khaki's/dress pants and a decent shirt. First impressions are important. One can always dress down but if you look like you rolled out of bed, the interviewer may not appreciate that
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
It is a warehouse job, so nothing formal for sure.
Just wear clean looking jeans and Tshirt, you are good. Just avoid clothes with weird slogan or logo on it, closed jeans with no holes at the knee or something.

It is a warehouse position, not a company executive. I've worked in warehouse during my early 20s and they all dress jeans and tees. Believe me, people at the mall dress better than those who work in warehouse, lol
Are you comfortable walking 30 min at 10pm in an industrial area? Can you get someone to give you a ride?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
clean cut kahkis and polo, tucked in with a nice plain brown belt. Nice plain leather sneakers should suffice
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Typically, the better dressed you are, the better of an impression you leave with the interviewer as it will show a level of respect for them - ie dress like a slob and it may show you don't really care... but dress nicely, shows to them that you are willing and able to put in an extra bit of effort into everything you do.

I was mentoring a bunch of university Comp Sc students and only one of them came in a suit while the rest of them look like they just came from a lecture. I immediately shook the hand of the one in the suit as he showed that extra bit of effort that should be recognized. Would I just hire on the basis of a suit? No. But if all things were equal, I may use the fact that they put in a bit more effort into the decision making process.

So, how much does getting this job at the warehouse mean to you?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
craftsman wrote: Typically, the better dressed you are, the better of an impression you leave with the interviewer as it will show a level of respect for them - ie dress like a slob and it may show you don't really care... but dress nicely, shows to them that you are willing and able to put in an extra bit of effort into everything you do.

I was mentoring a bunch of university Comp Sc students and only one of them came in a suit while the rest of them look like they just came from a lecture. I immediately shook the hand of the one in the suit as he showed that extra bit of effort that should be recognized. Would I just hire on the basis of a suit? No. But if all things were equal, I may use the fact that they put in a bit more effort into the decision making process.

It's a warehouse job, meaning most likely manual labour. Nobody expects you to show up in shirt + tie for the interview. You can dress in a tee + jeans as long as you keep neat and tidy.
MP3_SKY wrote: It is a warehouse job, so nothing formal for sure.
Just wear clean looking jeans and Tshirt, you are good. Just avoid clothes with weird slogan or logo on it, closed jeans with no holes at the knee or something.

It is a warehouse position, not a company executive. I've worked in warehouse during my early 20s and they all dress jeans and tees. Believe me, people at the mall dress better than those who work in warehouse, lol
Are you comfortable walking 30 min at 10pm in an industrial area? Can you get someone to give you a ride?
^this guy gets it
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
arkane wrote: It's a warehouse job, meaning most likely manual labour. Nobody expects you to show up in shirt + tie for the interview. You can dress in a tee + jeans as long as you keep neat and tidy.
Yes, it's a warehouse job but you still want to be presentable. I didn't say to come in a suit but be better dressed than an old pair of jeans or shorts and a t-shirt.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Guys it's 2019.
Definitely dress jeans and t shirt. It's a warehouse job. If you dress in a suit your going to probably be laughed at, and it will be uncomfortable.

I used to work at a warehouse many moons ago. Descent gig, 70k a year (with OT).
Also, I have yet to ever wear anything BUT a jeans and t-shirt for a job and I have worked all over, including for government where I was the only one wearing t-shirt and jeans (everyone else there wore suits day in and day out).

Hell, I make almost 10g a week now and didn't wear anything more than jeans n t-shirt for this job.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
You should defiantly wear a suit and tie and rent a BMW to show that you belong.

There is no spelling mistake.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
kahkis and a polo
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: Guys it's 2019.
Definitely dress jeans and t shirt. It's a warehouse job. If you dress in a suit your going to probably be laughed at, and it will be uncomfortable.

I used to work at a warehouse many moons ago. Descent gig, 70k a year (with OT).
Also, I have yet to ever wear anything BUT a jeans and t-shirt for a job and I have worked all over, including for government where I was the only one wearing t-shirt and jeans (everyone else there wore suits day in and day out).

Hell, I make almost 10g a week now and didn't wear anything more than jeans n t-shirt for this job.
You make half a million a year and is still browsing RFD? Its really hard to believe.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
blitzforce wrote: You make half a million a year and is still browsing RFD? Its really hard to believe.
Don't pay him any attention.
He's a seasonal worker out West in the trades, working half the year on a rotational shift.
Money is good (6 figures), but he's grinding long hours.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
blitzforce wrote: You make half a million a year and is still browsing RFD? Its really hard to believe.
Who said I make half a million a year? Putting words in my mouth?

Oh and I browse RFD for the laughs, do not buy a single thing from here cause there haven't been any good deals in many many years.
Rather travel than spend my money on useless junk and be a hoarder
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10125 posts
10231 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Typically, the better dressed you are, the better of an impression you leave with the interviewer as it will show a level of respect for them - ie dress like a slob and it may show you don't really care... but dress nicely, shows to them that you are willing and able to put in an extra bit of effort into everything you do.

Well things/candidates are never equal so it doesn't really matter. And dressing up is also a red flag to me as it makes me think does this person know how to adapt if they can't adapt to job/environment and come in overdressed or different from everyone else? Sends signal they maybe too rigid or uptight
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10125 posts
10231 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Yes, it's a warehouse job but you still want to be presentable. I didn't say to come in a suit but be better dressed than an old pair of jeans or shorts and a t-shirt.
They literally told him what to wear (jeans and t-shirt), if he comes in anything that deviates too much (eg anything more than a polo shirt and jeans/khakis), it'll mean he can't follow basic instructions

And nobody is telling him to wear dirty clothes or ripped clothes.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
Don't know who that guy is or what job he is doing, But making half million a year and being frugal and smart on spending has not relation to the income level.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)