Real Estate

Asking Price vs Selling Price of sold Property in Vancouver?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2016 6:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC

Asking Price vs Selling Price of sold Property in Vancouver?

Is there a way to find out the asking vs selling price of a sold property in Vancouver? Or is this info arbitrarily given by the selling realtor?

With the current dynamics of the Vancouver real estate market, I'd like to know what online info is available.
12 replies
Dec 15, 2014
383 posts
560 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Any realtor can provide you that information as it is in their MLS system.
Dec 15, 2014
383 posts
560 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Your online resources will be very limited as the real estate board has a strict control over their data, so you won't really find third party resources for asking/selling prices for the Vancouver market.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
LuckBox wrote: Your online resources will be very limited as the real estate board has a strict control over their data, so you won't really find third party resources for asking/selling prices for the Vancouver market.
Thanks for your reply LuckBox - are you a realtor or in the industry?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2478 posts
2149 upvotes
GVRD
Sold property listings are yanked off the public MLS very quickly. Their private MLS access gives great history, which is one of the benefits that they'll offer for their $20,000-50,000 in commission.

Many agent firms have their own client interface systems which will show sold prices.

Of course, you can always call the selling agent for a specific property.

There's a web site for home addresses that gives all its previous sold prices and yearly assessment values.

There's another site for condos that will give you the historical sold prices on all the units, but you must register (free).

I just discovered that there's a big difference between the public MLS.ca (public gets redirected to REALTOR.ca), and the full MLS system. When you go to MLS.ca, it automatically switches you to REALTOR.ca which takes some data from the official realtor MLS system and makes it available in a limited public way that's been agreed upon by the realtor selling agents. That now explains to me why it's become more of a craigslist-style sales/advertising system. The full MLS system provides much more data but the public is restricted by the mass of raw data in it, unless they go through a realtor.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
RxMills wrote: Sold property listings are yanked off the public MLS very quickly. Their private MLS access gives great history, which is one of the benefits that they'll offer for their $20,000-50,000 in commission.

Many agent firms have their own client interface systems which will show sold prices.

Of course, you can always call the selling agent for a specific property.

There's a web site for home addresses that gives all its previous sold prices and yearly assessment values.

There's another site for condos that will give you the historical sold prices on all the units, but you must register (free).

I just discovered that there's a big difference between the public MLS.ca (public gets redirected to REALTOR.ca), and the full MLS system. When you go to MLS.ca, it automatically switches you to REALTOR.ca which takes some data from the official realtor MLS system and makes it available in a limited public way that's been agreed upon by the realtor selling agents. That now explains to me why it's become more of a craigslist-style sales/advertising system. The full MLS system provides much more data but the public is restricted by the mass of raw data in it, unless they go through a realtor.
Valuable info RxMills - really appreciate your input.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2478 posts
2149 upvotes
GVRD
Some of PM'ed me about my reference to a site that gave sales price history on specific addresses. The site is www.propertyinsight.ca. I looked into it more and found out that it appears to be only for BC. Maybe others could post an equivalent one in their region. It gives property assessment values too.

There was another site too that was a good one for similar but with more details. I'll try to remember that one. I just stumbled across sites like this one day when someone said there were looking at a specific address. I hope others will chime in too with any resources to help the OP and others interested in the subject.

The site that I mentioned previously that will give a history of unit sales for a specific condo building is www.bccondos.net but you have a register with them first (free). Registering with them doesn't mean you're asking them to be your agent. Also, I'm not that not everyone provides their real information. They're a real estate office. Perhaps there's another site (or better site) that someone could also suggest. This one too is obviously BC-only.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1859 posts
143 upvotes
I took a glance last week and most recent listings are all sold $150,000-$300,000 above asking. It is usually priced below market value and not the price the seller wants to sell at. There will always be multiple cash offers above the asking price.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
RxMills wrote: Some of PM'ed me about my reference to a site that gave sales price history on specific addresses. The site is www.propertyinsight.ca. I looked into it more and found out that it appears to be only for BC. Maybe others could post an equivalent one in their region. It gives property assessment values too.

There was another site too that was a good one for similar but with more details. I'll try to remember that one. I just stumbled across sites like this one day when someone said there were looking at a specific address. I hope others will chime in too with any resources to help the OP and others interested in the subject.

The site that I mentioned previously that will give a history of unit sales for a specific condo building is www.bccondos.net but you have a register with them first (free). Registering with them doesn't mean you're asking them to be your agent. Also, I'm not that not everyone provides their real information. They're a real estate office. Perhaps there's another site (or better site) that someone could also suggest. This one too is obviously BC-only.
RxMills: I found data on propertyinsight useful - however, being a BC resident I didn't have to register with bccondos BUT each query was met & redirected to an agent for a "chat" session. ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4088 posts
2953 upvotes
Vancouver
Vancouver is Canada's hottest real estate market. As a result, the info online is first of all, basically non-existent and useless because it's stale.

You need a go-to realtor to access MLS information. Option #2, if you don't want to spend any money, then you need to do your own homework by staking out properties in the area that are for sale, calling or physically visiting the open house and probing for offer info, and calling after the house has been sold to get the actual sale price.

Propertyinsight is showing land values at least 1/2 of what they should be in the current market. It's basically useless.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Spinner wrote: Vancouver is Canada's hottest real estate market. As a result, the info online is first of all, basically non-existent and useless because it's stale.

You need a go-to realtor to access MLS information. Option #2, if you don't want to spend any money, then you need to do your own homework by staking out properties in the area that are for sale, calling or physically visiting the open house and probing for offer info, and calling after the house has been sold to get the actual sale price.

Propertyinsight is showing land values at least 1/2 of what they should be in the current market. It's basically useless.
A family member owns a condo in Vancouver, but currently has no interest to sell. From my armchair view there is no baseline in the current market.