• Aug 27th, 2017 7:21 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5978 posts
4424 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver

Asking for Proof of Performance

So my cousin recently applied for a Financial Advisor job at a bank and they explicitly asked for proof of performance like a performance review with numbers, company's sales report with rankings, etc. This is like the first time I seen a company ask for such documentations. I have been in sales jobs before and not once did I have to bring documentation as proof of my sales record. Usually the interviewer would ask specific questions to see if you were lying. It could be just me and this is actually normal practice, but aren't a lot of these documentations confidential? Having your candidate give you their competitor's results and performance could give them an advantage. Like they could say it's meant for the interview process only but it'll be hard to prove they used the documents elsewhere. I could just be paranoid haha. Does your company ask for such documentations or have you ever been requested such records during interviews?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
The company's performance has nothing to do with the performance of a particular candidate. The info is confidential and the employee shouldn't share any of those with any external parties.
I understand the recruiter may want to look at the candidate's performance review, that's understandable, but not the company's. If it is a big company, the performance's review are sharable in public quarterly.

Is it a recruiter company or the hiring manager of that actual company asking for it?
And which company is it? Check the company' review at glassdoor or other places before our cousin accept the job.
FA is highly commission based and they would want the new hire to solicited to all your friends and family to buy the investment or insurance products.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5978 posts
4424 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
It's the hiring manager at the bank asking for performance reports to prove that you can actually do sales. They also specifically asked for a report that ranks the employees which makes sense as they want to see how you do compared to others. But this report shows other employees names and numbers which you can easily add up and figure out the performance health of the company. Not to mention you also have a list of ppl you can now poach like the top 5.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: It's the hiring manager at the bank asking for performance reports to prove that you can actually do sales. They also specifically asked for a report that ranks the employees which makes sense as they want to see how you do compared to others. But this report shows other employees names and numbers which you can easily add up and figure out the performance health of the company. Not to mention you also have a list of ppl you can now poach like the top 5.
Some company do not disclosure the ranking of the employees and their sales #. It depends on the company's culture, the manger may or may not tell you the numbers of others and their rank.
If your cousin been working long enough, he would know where he is at.

For example, the team average is 200k, and I'm always at 280k level and the top 3 of the team.
I think those info would be enough and the hiring manger should know that company's sales stats are sensitive info and the candidate should not share everything to the hiring company.
if they insist, say no I don't have those data. It is only a FA job, a lot of companies are endlessly hiring those position since the turn over is so high.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5978 posts
4424 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote: Some company do not disclosure the ranking of the employees and their sales #. It depends on the company's culture, the manger may or may not tell you the numbers of others and their rank.
If your cousin been working long enough, he would know where he is at.

For example, the team average is 200k, and I'm always at 280k level and the top 3 of the team.
I think those info would be enough and the hiring manger should know that company's sales stats are sensitive info and the candidate should not share everything to the hiring company.
if they insist, say no I don't have those data. It is only a FA job, a lot of companies are endlessly hiring those position since the turn over is so high.
Yeah I totally understand. I told my cousin not to give out any documents that may put him at risk. But this hiring manager is pressuring him to give up documentations to "boost" up his application. He is saying they are hiring internally and externally and many of them have provided proof of performance.

He also doesn't come from a banking background so they used that as a reason why he really needs those proof to differentiate himself from the competition. This is also the only interview he was offered, other companies didn't give him a chance so he feels inclined to actually give them documentations.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5915 posts
3467 upvotes
So they called the bluff claim of top sales for the past 3 years for the province?
Dec 11, 2013
667 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Ya, they don't believe you; they don't expect you to produce anything.
Jul 24, 2015
237 posts
153 upvotes
Sounds like your cousin is full of shit and it's now caught up to him.

Go ahead and make a fake performance report. It makes no difference at this point anyways.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2408 posts
764 upvotes
New Brunswick
Whats the point of faking it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5915 posts
3467 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: Whats the point of faking it.
"This guy has the tenacity to lie to us and then provide fake documentation. He has a bright future as a Financial Advisor. Send out the papers detailing the unconditional offer immediately."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)