• Feb 16th, 2018 12:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
398 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto

Asking for a transfer?

Is it acceptable to ask for a transfer to a different location in your job if you’ve worked there for a year? Is there a certain amount of time you have to work at a job before you can get a transfer? Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12331 posts
8747 upvotes
Edmonton
Rules for company transfers would be specific to that job/company/union. In other words, there’s no real guidelines.

C
Mar 22, 2012
110 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Not after one year. After five years maybe.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12331 posts
8747 upvotes
Edmonton
Gee wrote: I would ask. The worse they can say is no.
Well... The worst that I can see happening is that you damage your relationship with your manager because s/he thinks you don't want to work on their team, and you end up getting crap jobs until you finally quit...

C
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7441 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
CNeufeld wrote: Well... The worst that I can see happening is that you damage your relationship with your manager because s/he thinks you don't want to work on their team, and you end up getting crap jobs until you finally quit...

C
If your manger has that type of attitude, there is no possibility to have a relationship with them.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3481 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
I think the reason you're looking for a transfer might matter as well. Are you unhappy with your current spot or is it about being closer to home or are there some opportunities at another location that you recently became aware of, etc.? I'd think that asking for a transfer because you bought a house and want to shorten your commute would be a lot less risky than asking for a transfer because you can't stand your boss, for example.