Home & Garden

Asphalt contractor issues

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 9:30 am
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1004 posts
454 upvotes
engineered wrote: Sure, those are all possibilities. We don't know what caused OPs crack.
Right, we need a bigger picture to see where the crack is forming in relation to the entire driveway to even begin to guess the cause. My point was though, that if the article can be believed, it suggests that cracks are very common and can occur for almost any reason.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8086 posts
6678 upvotes
Ottawa
I am just about to spend $30k+ on a driveway and I fully expect to see cracks in the future. In the OP's position, I would absolutely pursue the contractor but if that fails, I wouldn't leave the crack unsealed heading into the winter.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1004 posts
454 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: I am just about to spend $30k+ on a driveway and I fully expect to see cracks in the future. In the OP's position, I would absolutely pursue the contractor but if that fails, I wouldn't leave the crack unsealed heading into the winter.
I would ask your contractor about cracks and how soon you might see them. Maybe that can clear a few things up in this thread. 30k is alot and if this kind of cracking is normal after 8 months, it might be better to know now rather than later.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1577 posts
1109 upvotes
Longueuil
I guess it might depend on the "type" of asphalt? Mine is from around 1998 and there is no crack. There are some depressions (mainly where I always park the car, as did the previous owner, also where the downspout exits but I added a downspout extension) but no cracks.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Aug 31, 2012
709 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Is it Five Star Paving in Kitchener/Waterloo? They are trash!! They put in a new driveway in a brand new house and grass was growing up through the driveway the following year. As they were working on new builds in the area I spoke to them and they promised to come back and never did! Scummy pavers and I do NOT recommend them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)