• Apr 19th, 2019 6:43 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 19, 2011
285 posts
121 upvotes
Grimspoon wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 1:28 pm
No problem, Walker as well as Oulette were both sold out by the time I was heading out after work. This sale was a complete bust for me online and in person.
Sorry to hear that
Jul 9, 2004
605 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
Received my router yesterday and set it up today. The 2.4 GHz band was working fine for a few minutes and now seems to be dead (no clients connect to it). I've tried all the possible solutions I came across without any luck. Anyone else having a similar issue? My Asus N66U was running perfectly prior.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11860 posts
5936 upvotes
Southern Ontario
m0cha wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 2:14 pm
Received my router yesterday and set it up today. The 2.4 GHz band was working fine for a few minutes and now seems to be dead (no clients connect to it). I've tried all the possible solutions I came across without any luck. Anyone else having a similar issue? My Asus N66U was running perfectly prior.
Remove special characters from SSID and PW? Latest fw? Dead or future dead 2.4 radios seems to be documented in this model. Hang onto it using Xmas return period and exchange when stock comes in?
Oct 11, 2016
351 posts
73 upvotes
Sigh I hate staples. On Saturday, I actually was able to order this. They charged my card immediately - and of course on Monday they cancelled the order. However, to add insult to injury, they also sent me shipping notices. Then within the stupid archaic PDF shipping notice, it said "Item cannot be delivered."

Stupid. Staples.ca sucks. I will NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM STAPLES.CA again. Staples.CA is a total SCAM.
Nov 22, 2018
20 posts
38 upvotes
m0cha wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 2:14 pm
24 hours for me and so far so good.

What's your hardware version, and the 1st 4 characters of your MAC address (the 1st 4 are the vendor id) (It's on the sticker on the box)

I have HW 1.5 and MAC 0C9D... and I updated to the latest firmware as soon as I got it turned on.

I've seen a few open boxes and the shelf the past few weeks and they had a different starting MAC address. I'm wondering if there's a bad batch coming from another factory or chipset supplier maybe. If yours is different, maybe wait a few weeks and exchange if you can find different version on the shelf when they restock?
Jul 9, 2004
605 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
Thankfully I got it working, I downgraded to the oldest firmware on the Asus support site and everything is fine for now.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15340 posts
2230 upvotes
Toronto
m0cha wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:42 pm
Thankfully I got it working, I downgraded to the oldest firmware on the Asus support site and everything is fine for now.
If you don't need Aimesh, I highly recommend Merlin's firmware for the router. I have run it on a few Asus routers and it's great.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1549 posts
564 upvotes
HWDAN55 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 6:42 pm
24 hours for me and so far so good.

What's your hardware version, and the 1st 4 characters of your MAC address (the 1st 4 are the vendor id) (It's on the sticker on the box)

I have HW 1.5 and MAC 0C9D... and I updated to the latest firmware as soon as I got it turned on.
I have same as you and no issues yet. Also mfg year is 2018.
I've tested my router for a few days and it's all good! However I do have a lot less 2.4Ghz client connections now, as I've found 5Ghz is nearly just as strong for range and way faster throughput with this router.
Always in search of a great deal....
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1668 posts
345 upvotes
those who already received it, is Staples shipping these out by Canada Post? I've got a "item has been shipped" email on Saturday with no tracking number, and I have yet to receive it.
Dec 20, 2017
17 posts
8 upvotes
manho wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 11:34 am
those who already received it, is Staples shipping these out by Canada Post? I've got a "item has been shipped" email on Saturday with no tracking number, and I have yet to receive it.
I just received mine today, they shipped by UPS from Calgary, i am in ottawa so it took from friday till today.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1293 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, I just checked UPS My Choice and Staples has a shipment for me. Nothing on Staple's site
"Life is short, running makes it seem longer."
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
Dogs aren't our whole lives......they just make our lives whole.
Nov 9, 2014
62 posts
35 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
audit13 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 10:03 am
If you don't need Aimesh, I highly recommend Merlin's firmware for the router. I have run it on a few Asus routers and it's great.
Merlin has done some good things for ASUS, but ASUS is slowly moving all it's software to closed source. They had issues with people running the ASUS modded firmware on non-ASUS hardware and they are locking it down.

The problem is ASUS writes shit software that is full of stupid bugs that they never fix. The portion of the software that Merlin can change gets smaller and smaller with every release. AI Mesh from ASUS will be a closed source bag of rocks.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15340 posts
2230 upvotes
Toronto
redmondflagger wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 7:16 pm
Merlin has done some good things for ASUS, but ASUS is slowly moving all it's software to closed source. They had issues with people running the ASUS modded firmware on non-ASUS hardware and they are locking it down.

The problem is ASUS writes shit software that is full of stupid bugs that they never fix. The portion of the software that Merlin can change gets smaller and smaller with every release. AI Mesh from ASUS will be a closed source bag of rocks.
This is true but there are alternatives such as DD-WRT, Tomato, etc. but Merlin’s it for this model. I’m running Merlin an a 68u and Netgear r7000.

I haven’t opened mine and I’m tempted to exchange it for another model without an encrypted CFE.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1749 posts
488 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought 2 of these.. but my signal is great with just 1 that I may sell the other at cost or return to store. Give it few more days .. but so far so good.