Expired Hot Deals

ASUS AC5300 Wireless Router - 279.99$...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 12:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
11716 posts
133540 upvotes
Montreal

ASUS AC5300 Wireless Router - 279.99$...

17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1096 posts
535 upvotes
Markham
beuh_dave wrote: In my view, better to buy separate hardware for routing and wifi, something like a Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X for $70 and a Ubiquiti Wireless Access Point Long Range for $135. You'll get better performance, stability and it's cheaper. I have 4 of the Wireless APs in my house. Works great! Devices automatically switch to whichever has the strongest signal.
The UAP-AC-LR is much inferior and incomparable to this router. You'd have to need at least a NanoHD to level the playing field.
Jun 13, 2005
216 posts
73 upvotes
vancouver
beuh_dave wrote: In my view, better to buy separate hardware for routing and wifi, something like a Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X for $70 and a Ubiquiti Wireless Access Point Long Range for $135. You'll get better performance, stability and it's cheaper. I have 4 of the Wireless APs in my house. Works great! Devices automatically switch to whichever has the strongest signal.
Are you saying that a modern router cannot combine wifi and a managed switch in one? Doesn't seem incredibly onerous.
Oct 13, 2018
319 posts
380 upvotes
Expliciate wrote: The UAP-AC-LR is much inferior and incomparable to this router. You'd have to need at least a NanoHD to level the playing field.
Its not much inferior or comparable to All In Ones , the level playing is different. AC-LR and PRO is meant for Enterprise high density environment where stability is more important. We have deployed turns of these in production enviroment and although they are no Meraki they are decent enough.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1096 posts
535 upvotes
Markham
TusharN30757 wrote: Its not much inferior or comparable to All In Ones , the level playing is different. AC-LR and PRO is meant for Enterprise high density environment where stability is more important. We have deployed turns of these in production enviroment and although they are no Meraki they are decent enough.
They are indeed reliable and stable for the commercial environment and high-density applications, but they do not perform well relative to cost for home users. You're better off deploying EAP245s in the home environment as they offer better performance and cost less, for those that don't require the Unifi features.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1076 posts
122 upvotes
Morphius wrote: This or the Asus AX86U?
Asus AX86U for $300. Time to consider AX for the future. I suspect this will be the go to AX router for most folks on the mid-high range. The previous AC86U was a huge success.
Oct 13, 2018
319 posts
380 upvotes
Expliciate wrote: They are indeed reliable and stable for the commercial environment and high-density applications, but they do not perform well relative to cost for home users. You're better off deploying EAP245s in the home environment as they offer better performance and cost less, for those that don't require the Unifi features.
I have never deployed TP-Link in an enterprise environment so cannot comment on the scalibility and realibility but the specs for EAP245s look fairly good. Very comparable to PRO but unsure how challenging controller software would be to configure especially for a home user.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4126 posts
1475 upvotes
GTA
Morphius wrote: This or the Asus AX86U?
I'd go with the ax86u, with wifi 6 devices it should easily beat the ac5300 in range and speeds.
I had the ax58u for a bit and it was faster than my ac86u using wifi 6, on wifi 5 it was slower though.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1096 posts
535 upvotes
Markham
TusharN30757 wrote: I have never deployed TP-Link in an enterprise environment so cannot comment on the scalibility and realibility but the specs for EAP245s look fairly good. Very comparable to PRO but unsure how challenging controller software would be to configure especially for a home user.
I have deployed both systems and by far the Unifi is much better in terms of convenience, remote management, and overall refinement. The convenience factor may be slightly biased as I am more familiar with Unifi than TP-Link.
However, the TP-Link setup is no slouch as it is reliable and does offer a fairly great feature set. The interface for the controller is quite confusing and a lot of features are hidden in submenus, but works great after the initial setup.
Aug 31, 2008
715 posts
317 upvotes
If I'm looking for a new router is this one better or the AC86U? I keep hearing people bring up that one.
Jun 27, 2013
104 posts
69 upvotes
Montr
AC is outdated, considering AX only, maybe no big difference for daily use at 5G, but AX's 2.4G is really a boost.
Oct 22, 2002
729 posts
3 upvotes
Ac might be outdated but it’s still kicking ass

Ordered yesterday from Amazon, arrived same late evening. Bridged the router to Fido’s supplied Hitron CGN3U, internet is literally up in a few mins. In short this router has made a day and night difference. First thing, no more ‘consistent’ connection drops and faster stable internet across all devices (even though I’ve had only owned it for less than a day lol) Now I’m consistently getting 300m d/l 17m u/l on Fido 150u. Couldn’t be happier. If anyone has same or similar setup and would like to know how-to, feel free to reach me

Thanks OP!!
"Man proposes, God disposes"
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1096 posts
535 upvotes
Markham
superrabbi wrote: If I'm looking for a new router is this one better or the AC86U? I keep hearing people bring up that one.
The AC86U is plenty for its budget of $200. If you don't mind paying the premium for Wifi 6, go with the AX86U instead.
OlivierLoo wrote: AC is outdated, considering AX only, maybe no big difference for daily use at 5G, but AX's 2.4G is really a boost.
Not entirely true. There are plenty of poorly implemented AX devices such as the AX58u and the majority of the AX1800 mesh kits.

Any 4x4 or 3x3 802.11ac wave2 spec device will easily outperform poorly implemented 2x2 wifi 6 devices. A prime example is the value of the AC86U (3x3) for $200 which will easily outperform them.