• Dec 9th, 2019 11:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
142 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Asus ROG G752V

Hey guys, been lurking this sub for quite a while because i want to get the best bang for my buck. I decided not to buy a brand new laptop and looked through used option.

This particular seller is selling me:

Asus G752V
i7-6700HQ
GTX 1070 8gb
24GB rams
1TB HDD
No SSD

He is willing to let it go for $900CAD

Will I be able to play on ultra with AAA games? And lastly, will this laptop last me the next 3-4 years?

is this a good deal??
Last edited by sipjd65 on Dec 8th, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Oct 15, 2014
481 posts
120 upvotes
ON
The CPU is is your limiting factor, the 6700HQ is a bit dated. Not because of the number cores but mainly because of its max boost clock and the thermal efficiency. The 1070 if it's not the Max-Q version will game at 1080p no problem for quite a while. The 24GB of RAM seems strange and doesn't seem to be a stock configuration.

Depending on the condition, I would suggest haggling a bit more.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1973 posts
1030 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote:
No ssd? Pass
Find out if it's expandable that you can get an SSD in there along side the 1TB HDD. I'm assuming the laptop is using an NVMe SSD.
lins123 wrote: The CPU is is your limiting factor, the 6700HQ is a bit dated. Not because of the number cores but mainly because of its max boost clock and the thermal efficiency. The 1070 if it's not the Max-Q version will game at 1080p no problem for quite a while. The 24GB of RAM seems strange and doesn't seem to be a stock configuration.

Depending on the condition, I would suggest haggling a bit more.
I agree with this post here. Judging from this website here, that laptop looks to be the base model of that flavor when it was purchased about 3 1/2 years ago. Yes it's 3 1/2 years old.
https://laptopmedia.com/highlights/full ... id-august/
Intel Core i7-6700HQ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB GDDR5) 16GB (1x 16384MB) DDR4-2133 Full HD (1920×1080) IPS + G-Sync 1TB HDD @7200rpm Windows 10 (64-bit)
It seems the owner added an 8GB stick of RAM to increase the total ram to 24GB instead of buying another matching pair of 16GB to make it 32GB. Yes the 24GB is not stock configuration. If you look on ebay you can find similar model for cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2181739631

Also, its a killer that it doesn't have SSD + HDD as that would be the better off configuration. I agree with the above poster and haggle a bit more for the price, get more details, see if you can upgrade it with an SSD. Looks like it will be using the full laptop variant of the GTX 1070 GPU from what I was able to tell via model numbers.

https://www.amazon.ca/GTX-1070-Upgrade- ... B071JPRB5G
May 29, 2008
778 posts
302 upvotes
Hamilton
I think it's a pretty good offer, provided that it's in good condition. The G752V series is the last of its kind. It has what I consider as the best laptop keyboard layout; Good spacing with number pad and full sized arrow keys that are also properly spaced out relative to the QWERTY side of the keyboard and the number pad. I don't believe Asus released any laptops after the G752V series that has that same layout, and I've never seen any other manufacturer come close to this.

It should also have soft rubbery, not cheap plastic feeling touchpad buttons for when you aren't gaming and a touchpad is more convenient. You'll be able to drag and drop a lot better than the laptops that have the buttons integrated into the touchpad as one flat unit. You'll also be able to keep a finger on one of the touchpad buttons and still move the cursor around using the touchpad and have it register properly, unlike the one big touchpad with the buttons integrated into it.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1973 posts
1030 upvotes
GTA
toomuchpie wrote: I think it's a pretty good offer, provided that it's in good condition. The G752V series is the last of its kind. It has what I consider as the best laptop keyboard layout; Good spacing with number pad and full sized arrow keys that are also properly spaced out relative to the QWERTY side of the keyboard and the number pad. I don't believe Asus released any laptops after the G752V series that has that same layout, and I've never seen any other manufacturer come close to this.

It should also have soft rubbery, not cheap plastic feeling touchpad buttons for when you aren't gaming and a touchpad is more convenient. You'll be able to drag and drop a lot better than the laptops that have the buttons integrated into the touchpad as one flat unit. You'll also be able to keep a finger on one of the touchpad buttons and still move the cursor around using the touchpad and have it register properly, unlike the one big touchpad with the buttons integrated into it.
The G752VS was pretty much released right after this one dropped with an i7-7700HQ replacing the i7-6700HQ CPU, 16GB of DDR4 2400, replacing DDR4 2133, 512GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, and upgraded display to 120Hz G-sync refresh over the 60Hz on the G752V, still using the same GPU 1070 8GB, and same keyboard layout.

The VS is a better model so he should still haggle on the price of the G752V.
May 29, 2008
778 posts
302 upvotes
Hamilton
They are both G752 variant. There is technically no G752V, as far as I know. I was just saying G752V because all of the G752 series are followed by at least as much as a V after G752. The G752 is the last series with that keyboard layout. The GL series (thinner, without the big ass grill at the back, and with an inferior keyboard layout) was continued for a bit after. The G703 didn't have this superior keyboard layout either. The naming scheme is completely different now, but this keyboard layout has not made a return.