Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 Gaming Laptop 6th Generation Intel Core i7 6700HQ $1249 CAD

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2016 10:09 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 13, 2015
125 posts
21 upvotes
Nepean, ON

[Newegg] ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 Gaming Laptop 6th Generation Intel Core i7 6700HQ $1249 CAD

Price: $1249 /w Free Shipping
Regular: $1399

Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) Quad-core Processor 6MB Cache
16 GB DDR4 Memory
1 TB HDD + ULTRA-FAST M.2 PCIE SSD Slot
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2 GB GDDR5
15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS Screen
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Steelseries Keyboard
15.10" x 10.10" x 1.30" 5.60 lbs
5.60 lbs
DVD±R/RW

Looks like a good deal, thinking of biting on this.
Images
29 replies
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 13, 2015
125 posts
21 upvotes
Nepean, ON
It's been out of stock, this is the closest deal I've found. And it is only $1169 if you claim yourself as a student.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
GTX 960M is a bit under power on driving a 1080p monitor. I recommend not investing so much on gaming hardware when some of the biggest graphic chipset are on the brink of being released (1070, R480). No matter how well they performance or meeting expectation. Older generation graphic hardware will drop in price.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1225 posts
858 upvotes
Hamilton
I don't think this comes with an SSD.
Newbie
Oct 25, 2015
51 posts
12 upvotes
Aurora
Yea the OP says "1 TB HDD + ULTRA-FAST M.2 PCIE SSD"

But I cannot find any details on an SSD on the link
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8388 posts
3052 upvotes
Toronto
The laptop overheats quite quickly, and the keyboard gets hot, I had to return it when I purchased it before.

If you're getting a powerful graphics card, get the ROG line if you're buying from ASUS, the others just overheat very badly and have poor ventilation to properly distribute it.
Sr. Member
Mar 17, 2005
604 posts
339 upvotes
Oshawa
Thx OP. I've had my eye on the ROG for a while at the MS Store at EDU pricing but it's never in stock.

Yes, I know there's differences (Skylake U chip as opposed to the HQ, 950M compared to the 960M graphics) but I decided to go with the Acer Nitro since it became available again today. At $899 (again EDU pricing) and confirmed it comes with a 256GB M.2 SSD and 1TB hard drive and touch screen (if that matters to you), it was difficult to justify the price jump of $300 - $400 for just CPU and GPU differences. Mind you, I'm not hard core gamer so my criteria may not be the same as everyone else.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
Bum_Gravey wrote: Thx OP. I've had my eye on the ROG for a while at the MS Store at EDU pricing but it's never in stock.

Yes, I know there's differences (Skylake U chip as opposed to the HQ, 950M compared to the 960M graphics) but I decided to go with the Acer Nitro since it became available again today. At $899 (again EDU pricing) and confirmed it comes with a 256GB M.2 SSD and 1TB hard drive and touch screen (if that matters to you), it was difficult to justify the price jump of $300 - $400 for just CPU and GPU differences. Mind you, I'm not hard core gamer so my criteria may not be the same as everyone else.
I think the Nitro is a fine laptop for someone who are not into high graphic demanding video game. The spec is excellent for the price.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 13, 2015
125 posts
21 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Yeah I was looking at the Nitro as well. It's been awhile since it is back in stock. Awesome stuff.
Sr. Member
Mar 17, 2005
604 posts
339 upvotes
Oshawa
theoriginalmuffins wrote: Yeah I was looking at the Nitro as well. It's been awhile since it is back in stock. Awesome stuff.
Yup. I've checked daily on both the ROG and Nitro at the MS store for a few weeks now and was surprised this morning to see the Nitro in stock. For me, it didn't make sense to wait for the ROG to become available so I jumped on it.
Member
Dec 16, 2009
366 posts
122 upvotes
theoriginalmuffins wrote: It's been out of stock, this is the closest deal I've found. And it is only $1169 if you claim yourself as a student.
You can also be school faculty. You can also be the PARENT or guardian of a student. It's not limited to just students. It's essentially people tied to schools in some way. Which, to be honest, is MOST of us.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 13, 2015
125 posts
21 upvotes
Nepean, ON
elkabong wrote: You can also be school faculty. You can also be the PARENT or guardian of a student. It's not limited to just students. It's essentially people tied to schools in some way. Which, to be honest, is MOST of us.
Perfect. Thanks Elka!
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2011
886 posts
432 upvotes
Victoria
Wow, that Acer Nitro seems really nice for the price. Never been an Acer fan but it's getting good reviews.
Sr. Member
Mar 17, 2005
604 posts
339 upvotes
Oshawa
kungfulu wrote: Wow, that Acer Nitro seems really nice for the price. Never been an Acer fan but it's getting good reviews.
Same. I've had Acer products in the past and they while I never had too many issues with them, it's not a brand that would have been at the top of my list. But, specs to price comparison and the MS signature install to get rid of all the bloatware, it sold me. Of course, when it say there's a 4GB of memory on the GPU, I highly doubt it and MS couldn't confirm as they "get there specs directly from the manufacturer". Even the Acer site say "up to 4GB" with no clear indication what that means for this actual model.
Banned
Apr 19, 2016
435 posts
226 upvotes
Bum_Gravey wrote: Thx OP. I've had my eye on the ROG for a while at the MS Store at EDU pricing but it's never in stock.

Yes, I know there's differences (Skylake U chip as opposed to the HQ, 950M compared to the 960M graphics) but I decided to go with the Acer Nitro since it became available again today. At $899 (again EDU pricing) and confirmed it comes with a 256GB M.2 SSD and 1TB hard drive and touch screen (if that matters to you), it was difficult to justify the price jump of $300 - $400 for just CPU and GPU differences. Mind you, I'm not hard core gamer so my criteria may not be the same as everyone else.
This is low voltage i7, performance cant compare regular i7. And 950m is ddr3 ram. It is 300cad more bertween this rog and nitro
Banned
Apr 19, 2016
435 posts
226 upvotes
Bum_Gravey wrote: Thx OP. I've had my eye on the ROG for a while at the MS Store at EDU pricing but it's never in stock.

Yes, I know there's differences (Skylake U chip as opposed to the HQ, 950M compared to the 960M graphics) but I decided to go with the Acer Nitro since it became available again today. At $899 (again EDU pricing) and confirmed it comes with a 256GB M.2 SSD and 1TB hard drive and touch screen (if that matters to you), it was difficult to justify the price jump of $300 - $400 for just CPU and GPU differences. Mind you, I'm not hard core gamer so my criteria may not be the same as everyone else.
This is low voltage i7, performance cant compare regular i7. And 950m is ddr3 ram. It is worth 300cad more bertween this rog and nitro.

Top