Computers & Electronics

ASUS Routers or TP-Link Routers

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2021 3:59 pm
Nov 22, 2016
54 posts
188 upvotes

ASUS Routers or TP-Link Routers

I am deciding to get an WiFi6 Routers. Still deciding between ASUS TP-Link and Netgear.
TP-Link always has a better price among the market obviously it's a China Brand but I am concerned with a their quality and security as well.

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1474 posts
2821 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
I would recommend Asus routers and TPLink access points.
Jul 29, 2013
224 posts
328 upvotes
Calgary
This is exactly what I run with tplink mesh access points.

Asus router running Merlin
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
If long term firmware support is important,
ASUS > Netgear > tp-link

And as NickL645 already pointed out,
A number of ASUS models are supported by Merlin third party firmware as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Do we have to answer within the confines of the original brands?

If not, pfSense is the way to go for routers. Although I'm contradicting myself here since pfSense has been up to some stupidity lately so I kind of want to try opnsense.
Same concept for both though: Open source on your own hardware.

While you can install a 3rd party firmware on consumer routers, they're hilariously underpowered especially if you're doing any heavy lifting like VPN.
There's also A LOT more features on a PC based router. The downside is that they do consume much more power which means a higher per year running cost but to me the features are WELL worth it.
Google says they idle at like 20W (which is surprising) so even if you put any sort of load on I can't see it exceeding like 50W. Let's average it out at 36W. Assuming $1/W/year that works out to about $3 per month.
A consumer router operates under 10W (let's call it 6W) so about $0.50/month. $2.50/month difference in power for A LOT more features and stability.
I have a couple routers with years of uptime. I can't get a consumer router to last more than few months.

I also like separating out my access points and routers because even at home they're (typically) better located in different places. Routers belong near where your ISP typically enters the house whereas access points typically belong in a central place or better yet multiple places.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.