Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11342 posts
3085 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

ASUS RT-AC5300

Just wondering everybodys opinion on going from a Linksys WRT1900AC to ASUS RT-AC5300

The reason for this is I now require some good QoS settings/features which the Linksys has very poor implementation of this feature and does little to nothing. In the past I have installed DD-WRT on the Linksys however due to some bugs and performance decrease I went back to stock firmware.

I have a chance to buy a used ASUS RT-AC5300 at a really good price but just wanted to know if anybody has one and any issues they have run into? I wonder if the wifi will be a little better?

Thanks
Images
  • asus.jpg
  • linksys.jpg
0_o
<_<
>_>
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2651 posts
1383 upvotes
London
i just got the asus one a week ago. and so far it has been working great.
Nov 9, 2005
937 posts
322 upvotes
I have had it for 2+ years and have put custom firmware on it - it is ROCK solid (VPN/DDNS/maybe 1 reboot in 2 years with HIGH usage)

However, the antenna's are really flimsy, and the Asus customer support is really bad.
Jan 6, 2004
698 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
we have the asus one at work and the coverage is amazing. The router is in the server room and i'd be outside the office building in the parking lot and still get full reception and speedy connection.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11342 posts
3085 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wow thats pretty good if its far away.

Thanks
Szeto wrote: we have the asus one at work and the coverage is amazing. The router is in the server room and i'd be outside the office building in the parking lot and still get full reception and speedy connection.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11342 posts
3085 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Was thinking of putting DD-WRT on it however I will likely play with stock firmware for now as it seems to be decent.
Cybersid wrote: I have had it for 2+ years and have put custom firmware on it - it is ROCK solid (VPN/DDNS/maybe 1 reboot in 2 years with HIGH usage)

However, the antenna's are really flimsy, and the Asus customer support is really bad.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Nov 9, 2005
937 posts
322 upvotes
I used Merlin firmware, rock solid but with custom firmware = no mesh
sickcars wrote: Was thinking of putting DD-WRT on it however I will likely play with stock firmware for now as it seems to be decent.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11342 posts
3085 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Little update, got the Asus RT-AC5300 yesterday (used) wifi strength is for sure better/stronger then the Linksys 1900ac as it reaches much further & the linksys is already a pretty good router.

one thing I did notice is that the Asus router runs pretty hot & from my readings online its normal. But I decided to put a fan under it and monitor temps of the cpu.

Without fan & little load - 66C
With Fan & little load - 56C
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2010 posts
1047 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: Little update, got the Asus RT-AC5300 yesterday (used) wifi strength is for sure better/stronger then the Linksys 1900ac as it reaches much further & the linksys is already a pretty good router.

one thing I did notice is that the Asus router runs pretty hot & from my readings online its normal. But I decided to put a fan under it and monitor temps of the cpu.

Without fan & little load - 66C
With Fan & little load - 56C
Nice box. Few years ago when I upgraded to the AC-87U AC2400 I was amazed with the coverage I got and putting my modem in bridge mode. Great coverage and speed in every single room, only room when speeds go down is the room has that the electrical/fuse panel. But considering the interference probably coming from the upgraded fuse box it would make sense.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4102 posts
1017 upvotes
I have used the RT-AC5300 for at least 2 yrs. It is located in the basement. The wifi signal is not really much stronger than my previous R7000. I end up getting a set of ORBI used as an AP with WiFi disabled on the ASUS. So far so good.
First the pro:
1. USB3.0 port for fast HD sharing.
2. Download Master for P2P and newsgroup download without PC.
3. Dual Wan - if you need more speed/back up.
4. DLNA and VPN server.
5. Customizable Qos.
6. Alexa support.
7. AiProtection - I especially like this one. Was surprised there are lots of intruders scanning my IP and were blocked. This includes Malicious sites blocking, Two-way intrusion prevention system, infected device prevention and blocking. Very useful, also parental controls.
8. Supports AsusWrt-Merlin firmare.
9. Lastly I like the fact that I can use any Username instead of the usual {admin} used by other routers.

The con :
1. Wifi is not really that strong.
2. Download Master for newsgroup is working half the time. Virtually no support as no one replying emails.
3. Occasionally the router will need a reboot to get the Internet going. Not reliable.

As I said the only thing I like the most is the AiProtection feature. I found Netgear is more reliable than this and Linksys.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2010 posts
1047 upvotes
GTA
The con with you having weak Wifi is because of the location of your router "the basement". If you move it to a more central location you will have amazing reception. I learned the hard way myself.

https://routerguide.net/best-router-phy ... ent-guide/
Optimal Router Upstairs or downstairs placement in multi story home

2 story home: You want to place the router near the ceiling of the first floor, or the floor of the second floor.

3 story home: Place the router near the center of the second floor.

Place home appliances such as cordless telephones, microwaves, and televisions as far away as possible from the router/access
point.

This would significantly reduce any interference that the appliances might cause since they operate on same frequency.
When I got rid of keeping it in the basement and did what is recommended in bold. On a desk, away from other appliances, away from walls, it blew me away how good the signal was. Even had range outside. When it was in the basement there was no signal detected outside on either laptop or cellular devices.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11342 posts
3085 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I found the wifi signal strength to be a bit stronger then my linksys 1900ac. but of course everybody will be different since the environment will make a difference.

As for the rebooting I setup a schedule on mine to restart every 2 days in the middle of the night so I probably wont see that issue.

Also I have updated mine with the latest firmware so far so good but mind you I have just had it for a few days. Also put a fan on it so it runs cooler.
Avatar wrote: I have used the RT-AC5300 for at least 2 yrs. It is located in the basement. The wifi signal is not really much stronger than my previous R7000. I end up getting a set of ORBI used as an AP with WiFi disabled on the ASUS. So far so good.
First the pro:
1. USB3.0 port for fast HD sharing.
2. Download Master for P2P and newsgroup download without PC.
3. Dual Wan - if you need more speed/back up.
4. DLNA and VPN server.
5. Customizable Qos.
6. Alexa support.
7. AiProtection - I especially like this one. Was surprised there are lots of intruders scanning my IP and were blocked. This includes Malicious sites blocking, Two-way intrusion prevention system, infected device prevention and blocking. Very useful, also parental controls.
8. Supports AsusWrt-Merlin firmare.
9. Lastly I like the fact that I can use any Username instead of the usual {admin} used by other routers.

The con :
1. Wifi is not really that strong.
2. Download Master for newsgroup is working half the time. Virtually no support as no one replying emails.
3. Occasionally the router will need a reboot to get the Internet going. Not reliable.

As I said the only thing I like the most is the AiProtection feature. I found Netgear is more reliable than this and Linksys.
0_o
<_<
>_>