• Jun 8th, 2021 3:15 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
503 posts
35 upvotes

Asus tablets any good?

Hi all,
I noticed recently a thread on tablets - what to get - people mentioned Apple and Samsung

I didn't see any reference to Asus tablets... are they any good?

Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2462 posts
1421 upvotes
SW ON
I am pretty sure it depends on the tablet. Even some Samsung tablets are crappy.
Aug 30, 2012
145 posts
25 upvotes
The Nexus 7 from Asus is an excellent tablet
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
503 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks guys... so I guess no Asus fans here

I think I'll just settle on an Ipad

I did notice that for the same price point, (around $430) you can get a Samsung with 64Gig or an Ipad with 32Gig

I'm wondering if apps on Android generally need more memory? Is that extra memory a real bonus, or just because it's needed to run well?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1575 posts
886 upvotes
Toronto
Not a fan of Asus after a bad experience with a laptop some time ago. I never consider an Asus product in my buying decision.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2462 posts
1421 upvotes
SW ON
fred999 wrote: I'm wondering if apps on Android generally need more memory? Is that extra memory a real bonus, or just because it's needed to run well?
Anything above 16GB is just to store pictures and videos, so it's a bonus.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4558 posts
1139 upvotes
Does Asus even make or sell tablets anymore? They've all been removed from the Asus Canada site.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
503 posts
35 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Anything above 16GB is just to store pictures and videos, so it's a bonus.
At BestBuy I don't see any Ipad with 64gig, yet I see Samsung comes with 64. Is 32gig really enough for doing basic stuff?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2462 posts
1421 upvotes
SW ON
fred999 wrote: At BestBuy I don't see any Ipad with 64gig, yet I see Samsung comes with 64. Is 32gig really enough for doing basic stuff?
Everybody's basic stuff differs. I had a phone with 16GB for the longest time. I had a bunch of apps on it for doing my "basic stuff". When I got warnings occasionally that my space was running low I went through pictures and deleted bad and unneeded ones, the rest I transferred to my PC. After that I got a lot of free space again until I took a lot of pictures again. For me 16GB was plenty for apps. If you are going to take a lot of pictures and videos with your tablet (which I doubt) then get one with more space. Having said that I think 32GB will be enough even if you take a lot of pictures.
Feb 23, 2004
805 posts
104 upvotes
Richmond
I worked for a company that bought a few (4 or 5?) Asus Transformers (TF700 I think it was called?) back in the day. Every single one stopped working within a year. Warranty claims were more trouble than they were worth, but still a step up from Samsung which had effectively zero warranty. Stuck with iPads in the end and never looked back.