• Feb 15th, 2021 1:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
313 posts
249 upvotes
Ottawa

Asus ZenWifi XT8 vs Netgear Orbi Ax6000

Specs are similar between these two. Does anyone have either? How is it? Also, would love to hear opinions on which is better and why from any networking experts on here!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4370 posts
1715 upvotes
GTA
Is your house that big that you need these? What speed is your internet?
Sep 13, 2011
980 posts
633 upvotes
Québec
I agree with Shabby, do you have a jabba the Hub palace ?

If you really need this, I can't confirm that Netgear Orbi Ax6000 support WPA3. Asus does, and has generaly better firmware update longetivity than Netgear.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
313 posts
249 upvotes
Ottawa
shabby wrote: Is your house that big that you need these? What speed is your internet?
It’s around 4000 sq ft, and I have gigabit internet. I get 500-600 mbps on wifi close to my router, and it drops quickly throughout the house to <100 mbps.

These two have really good reviews when it comes to coverage and the speed you get from the satellite nodes.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4370 posts
1715 upvotes
GTA
Ah1800 wrote: It’s around 4000 sq ft, and I have gigabit internet. I get 500-600 mbps on wifi close to my router, and it drops quickly throughout the house to <100 mbps.
Where will the router be placed, in the middle of the house or in the corner? If in the corner can you run a network cable through the basement to the other side of the house? If you can get a cable to the other side of the house i would rather go with 2 ax86u routers using aimesh than either of these setup's. While they use 4x4 antennas for the backhaul they are only 2x2 for regular wifi while the ax86u is 4x4 and should max out your gigabit connection.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
313 posts
249 upvotes
Ottawa
shabby wrote: Where will the router be placed, in the middle of the house or in the corner? If in the corner can you run a network cable through the basement to the other side of the house? If you can get a cable to the other side of the house i would rather go with 2 ax86u routers using aimesh than either of these setup's. While they use 4x4 antennas for the backhaul they are only 2x2 for regular wifi while the ax86u is 4x4 and should max out your gigabit connection.
That would be amazing yeah. I had LAN throughout my old place and basically had one router and two access points and it worked out great.

My basement is unfinished so maybe it’s worth it seeing if someone can run a few cables around Thinking Face

To answer your question, the router is currently at one end of the house because of the location of the Rogers outlet which is definitely not helping. My plan was to put the router in these where the router currently is, and try having the satellite point in the middle of the house, or at the other end.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4370 posts
1715 upvotes
GTA
If you can run the cable in the basement then go with two ax86u's instead, don't bother with the xt8 at all, the ax86u will give you better speeds since it has a 4x4 antenna.
But try one ax86u first, maybe it'll give you sufficient speeds upstairs in the corners, if not then add the second one on the other end of the house with the lan cable and enable aimesh.