• Jan 7th, 2019 12:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7027 posts
835 upvotes
Alberta
rocking23nf wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 4:47 pm
power is capped in alberta at 6.8, so you should never sign a 5 year 6.6 fixed renewal.
My 3 year EasyMax plan was expiring soon. Received notice that I can be automatically renewed with a 5 year EasyMax plan.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7027 posts
835 upvotes
Alberta
OKSpring wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 2:59 pm
That formatting is pretty messy (mobile), but looks to work out to what I wrote below..

So your gas cost was around $1/GJ for that billing period, usage of 5GJ, so $5 and the rest was delivery and admin. That same amount with ATCO's promotion would've cost you $15.

You'd have saved about $15 on electricity, net savings of about $5.

Delivery charges DO NOT change from one retailer to the next. So much misinformation online from people who don't understand their bills and how deregulation works.

You're probably better off signing up for EasyMax with Enmax since there are no contracts or fees to cancel, and you can change rates every 30 days if needed. Or a regular ATCO plan without fees.

Your electric usage isn't really high enough to get value out of this promotion.
I just switched. I am under 600 kwh and 3 GJ per month on average for the past 12 months. The early opt out penalties may make it unsavory financially... I don't typically switch rates each month with my EasyMax plan at Enmax.
Jun 1, 2015
180 posts
57 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Our electricity usage is between 250-350 kwh/month but because we have a gas range our NG usage is on the higher side i believe. Around 20-30 gj/month.

Based on my math, if i am paying the 0.68c/kwh now (highest cap rate) on 300 kwh usage/month, i would be paying roughly 20$/month for electricity and if i were to switch to this promo for the 3 cents/kwh, i would pay $9/month. Equates to around $11/month savings on electricity but due to my higher NG usage, I'm thinking that I would be better off sticking with my current set up of variable NG. Is there anything im overlooking?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1025 posts
449 upvotes
CALGARY
DavidY wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 4:53 pm
You can stlll save $50 if you apply online today.
Thanks, subscribed online. I am already with ATCO, need to call Monday and switch.
Oct 12, 2017
47 posts
16 upvotes
current ATCO customer and just did a chat with CS. It seems that the 3 for all promo doesn't have the $50 anniversary credits, just the one time $50 early bird credit. My current plan have anniversary credits. As per my computation I'll be saving $100 per year at most if I include the $50 anniversary credits (and the $50 one time early bird credit) in the computation. Considering that I'll be tied for 3 years with penalties, still thinking if the switch is worth it.
Oct 5, 2014
16 posts
8 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Currently i am on Atco variable plan with admin fee credit 50% and annual 50$ credit .
Did some math for the past year and turned out i save about 15$ for the whole year .
Decided not worth the hassle considering there is a cancellation fees .

Atco excel.JPG
Dec 6, 2018
2 posts
So has anyone received their bill since signing up? Is it as expected? Satisfied?

I want to do it but am a little worried/unclear on how the gas bill will work. This is the winter time so a lot of gas usage, and $3/GJ will be around double the current rate (I use a lot more electricity so still should be worth it)

Can someone confirm that assuming identical usage before and after signing up, the only thing changing on the bill will be the "Energy Charges" section, and the "Distributor Charges" will not change?

(similarly to the electricity bill; I assume only the energy charge will change, and all the add-ons like admin/distribution/transmission will stay the same)
Nov 23, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
JohnO95604 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 8:43 pm
So has anyone received their bill since signing up? Is it as expected? Satisfied?

I want to do it but am a little worried/unclear on how the gas bill will work. This is the winter time so a lot of gas usage, and $3/GJ will be around double the current rate (I use a lot more electricity so still should be worth it)

Can someone confirm that assuming identical usage before and after signing up, the only thing changing on the bill will be the "Energy Charges" section, and the "Distributor Charges" will not change?

(similarly to the electricity bill; I assume only the energy charge will change, and all the add-ons like admin/distribution/transmission will stay the same)
Confirmed, only thing that changes is your Energy charges. Your delivery charges won't change by selecting a retailer, those charges are regulated and calculated by your wires company and then flowed through to your invoice automatically, you would be charged the same thing for any given month for on any option you choose.

The extra cost for gas will be worth it for the savings on Electricity, it's a pretty good deal.
Dec 6, 2018
2 posts
bugmenawt wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:39 pm
Confirmed, only thing that changes is your Energy charges. Your delivery charges won't change by selecting a retailer, those charges are regulated and calculated by your wires company and then flowed through to your invoice automatically, you would be charged the same thing for any given month for on any option you choose.

The extra cost for gas will be worth it for the savings on Electricity, it's a pretty good deal.
Thank you for the reply.
I did sign up for the plan. We'll see how it goes....
Mar 29, 2006
25 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
As much as i've tried to find myself the best energy deal, i always just get so flustered when doing the final math. I know that delivery and such stays constant between the two, but i've been with Atco energy since moving into my new house now for 2 years. Am currently still on floating gas & floating electricity with atco energy. (at my previous duplex, i was always on RRO with direct energy regulated gas and epcor regulated electric).

I noticed that my atco electric price has been above the alberta cap of 6.8 for a bit now, spiking up around 9c. I don't think this deal is for me, however can anyone tell me if theres a better deal out there that i'm missing? WIth the admin fee savings, anniversary credit etc, i just don't know if the savings is really worth it to switch anywhere at the current electricity price. I'm usually around 5-600 KWH/month on electricity, and 6-8GJ for gas.
Nov 27, 2014
183 posts
144 upvotes
Calgary, AB
What a lot of people seem to forget, is that on floating GAS with Enmax, although it's normally a bit lower than $3/GJ, they charge an ADMIN fee of $0.99 / GJ, so add that $1 in admin fee to the current $1.80 floating rate, and you're back to $2.80/GJ which is only 20c less than Atco. We use around 5GJ per month, so Atco at $3/GJ is only $1 more than Enmax at $1.80 plus $1 admin charge per GJ for an entire month.

Also, I used to be on Enmax Easymax 2.0 floating rate for electricity, only to find out it had NO cap, so in the Spring I was paying a whopping 9.9c /kwh and when I called to complain about it, was told that Easymax 3.0 was capped at 6.9c/kwh, and that I was still on an "Old" system.....

The big saving monthly, is on Electricity, as consumption is relatively high, and at 3c/kwh compared to almost 7c/kwh, it's a big difference. And Atco's monthly fees are also lower than Enmax.

It's a NO BRAINER. Enmax electricity has almost never been at 3c/kwh in the past 8 YEARS.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1027 posts
498 upvotes
Calgary
aznives3 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 11:39 am
As much as i've tried to find myself the best energy deal, i always just get so flustered when doing the final math. I know that delivery and such stays constant between the two, but i've been with Atco energy since moving into my new house now for 2 years. Am currently still on floating gas & floating electricity with atco energy. (at my previous duplex, i was always on RRO with direct energy regulated gas and epcor regulated electric).

I noticed that my atco electric price has been above the alberta cap of 6.8 for a bit now, spiking up around 9c. I don't think this deal is for me, however can anyone tell me if theres a better deal out there that i'm missing? WIth the admin fee savings, anniversary credit etc, i just don't know if the savings is really worth it to switch anywhere at the current electricity price. I'm usually around 5-600 KWH/month on electricity, and 6-8GJ for gas.
It was a bit of a manual process but what I did was pull up my last 2 years of utility bills and for each month I typed the following into a spreadsheet:

Energy usage in kWh
Energy price in $/kWh
Gas usage in GJ
Gas price in $/GJ
Admin fees

For each historical month I then added new columns to “simulate” what my costs would have been under the new ATCO deal with their fixed electricity and gas costs (ie multiple historical electricity usage by 3c/kWh price) as well as admin fees. This showed I would have had significant savings with the new ATCO plan, so I switched.
Dec 14, 2018
3 posts
I am on the variable plan with Atco when signing up last year with the $150 gift card. Can anyone tell me if the bill rates looks alright?

Energy Value Bundle
TERM 3-yr
ELECTRICITY PRICE Variable Price Market + $0.01 / kWh
NATURAL GAS PRICE Variable Price Market + $0.89 / GJ
ADMINISTRATION FEE $5.00 per site
Images
  • atco_LI.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1072 posts
243 upvotes
Edmonton
First off. what are you guys doing to only use 3GJ a month? I used 9GJ from Oct13 to Nov13. is that normal? House is two story with maybe 2800 sqft including basement. 4 adults. My ele fluctuates. one month I used 700 kWh then next month 14 and ive had months over 2000. The first 15 days in Nov I paid over 3.00 per GJ on gas. but the previous was 1.43.

So on my last bill my electricity would have gone down 43 dollars and gas I would have saved about 4 bucks. My house is an electricity monster more than a gas so I think this might work out better for me?

notes on electricity use:
Hot tub
fiance that turns a blow dryer on full every morning and puts it on the counter just to warm up the bathroom.
runs a space heater full blast in her office even when shes left the room for 40 minutes.

those are the main culprits

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Mar 29, 2006
25 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
freewheelin76 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:35 pm
First off. what are you guys doing to only use 3GJ a month? I used 9GJ from Oct13 to Nov13. is that normal? House is two story with maybe 2800 sqft including basement. 4 adults. My ele fluctuates. one month I used 700 kWh then next month 14 and ive had months over 2000. The first 15 days in Nov I paid over 3.00 per GJ on gas. but the previous was 1.43.

So on my last bill my electricity would have gone down 43 dollars and gas I would have saved about 4 bucks. My house is an electricity monster more than a gas so I think this might work out better for me?

notes on electricity use:
Hot tub
fiance that turns a blow dryer on full every morning and puts it on the counter just to warm up the bathroom.
runs a space heater full blast in her office even when shes left the room for 40 minutes.

those are the main culprits
I have a gas cooktop and furnace/water heater and am around that 6-8 GJ range, 2000 s.f. on 2 stories, would be about the same including basement as you but it's not finished yet. It's a newer build though so probably better insulated and air-tight. I only set my furnace to around 22.

Your electricity use is pretty high, but all your culprits seem like thats exactly where it's going haha.