• Apr 10th, 2019 3:12 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1539 posts
483 upvotes
Edmonton
aznives3 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 2:34 pm
I have a gas cooktop and furnace/water heater and am around that 6-8 GJ range, 2000 s.f. on 2 stories, would be about the same including basement as you but it's not finished yet. It's a newer build though so probably better insulated and air-tight. I only set my furnace to around 22.

Your electricity use is pretty high, but all your culprits seem like thats exactly where it's going haha.
Yeah I usually have my thermostat at 20.5 and 18 at night. Also in pretty new build.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
May 9, 2018
15 posts
7 upvotes
Question for anyone who's moved over from Enmax, do you have to call Enmax yourself to cancel or can ATCO do that for you? I'm on an EasyMax plan with Enmax and it says it can be cancelled with 30 days notice but I'm not clear as to whether this means I have to call in to cancel now and then tell ATCO to start services a month after, or whether ATCO can handle it behind the scenes.
Jul 21, 2013
601 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
nicc333 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 3:47 pm
Question for anyone who's moved over from Enmax, do you have to call Enmax yourself to cancel or can ATCO do that for you? I'm on an EasyMax plan with Enmax and it says it can be cancelled with 30 days notice but I'm not clear as to whether this means I have to call in to cancel now and then tell ATCO to start services a month after, or whether ATCO can handle it behind the scenes.
I didn't so anything and it cancelled automatically.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3957 posts
646 upvotes
nicc333 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 3:47 pm
When I switched to ATCO from Enmax in early 2017, I signed up online through the ATCO website with the necessary house and site information and they were able to do it all without any further action from me.
Dec 5, 2017
106 posts
78 upvotes
Calgary
Based off my most recent bill, do you guys think it's worth a switch over?

Last month I used 383 kWH, and 8 GJ of gas. Would you say I'm on the lighter end of energy usage, and heavier side of gas usage? If so, this plan is probably not for me eh?

Edit: Also worth mentioning. I received a letter from Enmax saying that my energy plan is expiring, and that they will automatically renew me to the EasyMax: 6.59 cent / kWh plan (5 year fixed). That sounds like a horrible deal... is there any way to reject this offer? Or will I simply have to change to another company to avoid this?
Dec 10, 2009
241 posts
404 upvotes
JonahL wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 4:12 pm
Based off my most recent bill, do you guys think it's worth a switch over?

Last month I used 383 kWH, and 8 GJ of gas. Would you say I'm on the lighter end of energy usage, and heavier side of gas usage? If so, this plan is probably not for me eh?

Edit: Also worth mentioning. I received a letter from Enmax saying that my energy plan is expiring, and that they will automatically renew me to the EasyMax: 6.59 cent / kWh plan (5 year fixed). That sounds like a horrible deal... is there any way to reject this offer? Or will I simply have to change to another company to avoid this?
6.59 fixed is bad considering you can get a 6.8 cap. If the market rate is below the cap, you get the market rate. I personally don't think you use enough electricity to justify Atco's 3 cent offer, as gas will likely be more expensive (who knows what the market rate for gas will be). I use 400-500kWh/month and about 10GJ and did the math, and decided not to sign up with Atco's promo rate. If there wasn't any termination cost, I might have.

Either way it's going to be close, I think based on my predictions Enmax is only $40/year cheaper. However that can vary a lot based on market rates.
Mar 29, 2006
33 posts
10 upvotes
Edmonton
jarfgames wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 12:29 pm
It was a bit of a manual process but what I did was pull up my last 2 years of utility bills and for each month I typed the following into a spreadsheet:

Energy usage in kWh
Energy price in $/kWh
Gas usage in GJ
Gas price in $/GJ
Admin fees

For each historical month I then added new columns to “simulate” what my costs would have been under the new ATCO deal with their fixed electricity and gas costs (ie multiple historical electricity usage by 3c/kWh price) as well as admin fees. This showed I would have had significant savings with the new ATCO plan, so I switched.
i went ahead and just did this for the bills in 2018. With my current usage i would have saved $193 over the year in electricity, but paid about $24 more in gas. However, i would have also paid about $60 more in admin fees without the dual-site discount, and wouldn't get the $50 anniversary credit either. So that $193 gap is more like $193-24-60-50 = $60 over the entire year. I mean a savings is still a savings, i just don't know that i want to get tied down to the plan with the penalties involved over $5/month.

I am planning on adding a radiant tube heater in the garage in the near future and would like to keep the gas portion down as i would assume that consumption would go up....don't know what to do lol
Jul 21, 2013
601 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
aznives3 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 6:01 pm
i went ahead and just did this for the bills in 2018. With my current usage i would have saved $193 over the year in electricity, but paid about $24 more in gas. However, i would have also paid about $60 more in admin fees without the dual-site discount, and wouldn't get the $50 anniversary credit either. So that $193 gap is more like $193-24-60-50 = $60 over the entire year. I mean a savings is still a savings, i just don't know that i want to get tied down to the plan with the penalties involved over $5/month.

I am planning on adding a radiant tube heater in the garage in the near future and would like to keep the gas portion down as i would assume that consumption would go up....don't know what to do lol
Compared to what? Were you on Enmax fixed? It's hard to believe that the admin fee's are going up that much.
Oct 5, 2014
20 posts
9 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Just realized that this break even for me with the admin fees credit .
From the past bills 6.9/30 days as admin fees / site / service. There is 50% discount for the variable plan .
That makes yearly 83.95 saving just on admin savings . Plus the 50$ bill credit . Sum ups to 19$ loss for me if i had fixed plan .This plan is not for me .

Also the fact that they offer this itself mean they are expecting to make more out of the customer (in the next 3 years , which is the period of the contract).
sonyirump wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 8:30 pm
Currently i am on Atco variable plan with admin fee credit 50% and annual 50$ credit .
Did some math for the past year and turned out i save about 15$ for the whole year .
Decided not worth the hassle considering there is a cancellation fees .

Atco excel.JPG
Images
  • Atco excel.JPG
Oct 10, 2018
1 posts
2 upvotes
As an employee of one of energy companies people mention here, I am glad to see people are doing their calculations, although some of them flawed. All I want to say is that try to understand the details of your bill, and all your options, either with your current provider or its competitors, also other factors such as cancellation fees, customer service, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1059 posts
875 upvotes
BinbinW70840 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 7:14 pm
As an employee of one of energy companies people mention here, I am glad to see people are doing their calculations, although some of them flawed. All I want to say is that try to understand the details of your bill, and all your options, either with your current provider or its competitors, also other factors such as cancellation fees, customer service, etc.
As an insider, what are your thoughts on this promotion? I am still on the fence. I am with ATCO right now on the one year variable plan. I did sign up last year when they had the "two" winter month promotion.

I might save some money with this promotion, but lose flexibility with the cancelation fees, etc.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Dec 7, 2013
42 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary
First off. what are you guys doing to only use 3GJ a month? I used 9GJ from Oct13 to Nov13. is that normal? House is two story with maybe 2800 sqft including basement. 4 adults. My ele fluctuates. one month I used 700 kWh then next month 14 and ive had months over 2000. The first 15 days in Nov I paid over 3.00 per GJ on gas. but the previous was 1.43.

So on my last bill my electricity would have gone down 43 dollars and gas I would have saved about 4 bucks. My house is an electricity monster more than a gas so I think this might work out better for me?

notes on electricity use:
Hot tub
fiance that turns a blow dryer on full every morning and puts it on the counter just to warm up the bathroom.
runs a space heater full blast in her office even when shes left the room for 40 minutes.

those are the main culprits
Maybe you could get your fiance an electric blanket or an electric shirt/socks/vest, etc... Over 2000 in a month is enormous. Of course much of that is likely your hot tub as it's by far the largest draw in the house along with the dryer and AC. But a 1500W blow dryer for warming up the bathroom and a space heater constantly on is terrible. it would be cheaper at the rate your fiance wastes energy, to put in radiant heat under your flooring in the bathroom too. To put it in perspective our house is old and not efficient save for the attic insulation and we don't go above 350 a month and 5GJ. Of course we have all LED lights, hang a lot of clothing instead of use the dryer, have no AC or hot tub. I actually think other than the oven and microwave my PC is the biggest draw in our house, which I'm now putting to sleep.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1539 posts
483 upvotes
Edmonton
whitefishdome wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 11:46 pm
Maybe you could get your fiance an electric blanket or an electric shirt/socks/vest, etc... Over 2000 in a month is enormous. Of course much of that is likely your hot tub as it's by far the largest draw in the house along with the dryer and AC. But a 1500W blow dryer for warming up the bathroom and a space heater constantly on is terrible. it would be cheaper at the rate your fiance wastes energy, to put in radiant heat under your flooring in the bathroom too. To put it in perspective our house is old and not efficient save for the attic insulation and we don't go above 350 a month and 5GJ. Of course we have all LED lights, hang a lot of clothing instead of use the dryer, have no AC or hot tub. I actually think other than the oven and microwave my PC is the biggest draw in our house, which I'm now putting to sleep.
I tried to tell her. trust me I tried. The hot tub I don't think is that horrible. It's quite new and much more energy efficient than the old ones. we were worse before when I had a 75 gal electric water heater combined with the hot tub. I got that changed out right before summer to a gas. I used to pay about 380 average for my bill for elec/gas combined in winter. It's less now. For reference last month was 300 even. Obviously if we get a month straight of -20 then it's worse. Either way I think this new plan is probably more tailored to someone like me that has higher electricity draw than you folks.

I suppose other culprits are just the fact that we have four adults doing four sets of laundry constantly and four showers every morning etc etc. The lights are LED but that only does so much. And yes I have central AC also during summer. And holy hell i'm the only one that knows how to turn lights off.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Mar 29, 2006
33 posts
10 upvotes
Edmonton
Roger21 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 6:48 pm
Compared to what? Were you on Enmax fixed? It's hard to believe that the admin fee's are going up that much.
nope i'm already with Atco for both sites, variable floating for both as well. When i signed up in february 2017 the promo at that time was a big bill credit, the anniversary credit, and 50% off admin fees if you signed up both electric and gas. So that's why for me, i have to factor in losing that admin fee credit if i was to switch over to anything else.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1539 posts
483 upvotes
Edmonton
aznives3 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 10:34 am
nope i'm already with Atco for both sites, variable floating for both as well. When i signed up in february 2017 the promo at that time was a big bill credit, the anniversary credit, and 50% off admin fees if you signed up both electric and gas. So that's why for me, i have to factor in losing that admin fee credit if i was to switch over to anything else.
I was curious about this admin fee credit. my signup time was the two free months but I still pay admin fees of close to 5 bucks for each anyway so moving to 5.99 per didn't really make much of a difference. For me it was a win.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?