• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 12:38 pm
Dec 7, 2013
39 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
freewheelin76 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 12:27 am

I suppose other culprits are just the fact that we have four adults doing four sets of laundry constantly and four showers every morning etc etc. The lights are LED but that only does so much. And yes I have central AC also during summer. And holy hell i'm the only one that knows how to turn lights off.
Does anyone hang their clothes? My GF hangs most of hers because it ruins them too quickly to use the dryer. Maybe that's an incentive. Plus, I usually only buy things I really like and so I want them to last long because I hate shopping, regardless of it's at the mall or Value Village. Neither of us does fast fashion. Of course with 4 adults it would get really crowded hanging up everything to dry. We also take a shower every other day, because we work office jobs and because it's better to wash your hair less. We just exercise on shower days. Do you have a low-flow showerhead or toilet? The former are now much better and you can barely tell the difference.

Ya the LED doesn't do much, but those and other smart devices saved about $60-$70 a year for us. We got free bulbs and dimmers and expensive power bars when the Alberta gov't had the promo a few years ago. Every year or two the gov't also does a special where most LED's are $1 regardless of where you buy them. Good luck on your bills this year, everything will be higher than last if you are on variable.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1065 posts
236 upvotes
Edmonton
whitefishdome wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 11:18 am
Does anyone hang their clothes? My GF hangs most of hers because it ruins them too quickly to use the dryer. Maybe that's an incentive. Plus, I usually only buy things I really like and so I want them to last long because I hate shopping, regardless of it's at the mall or Value Village. Neither of us does fast fashion. Of course with 4 adults it would get really crowded hanging up everything to dry. We also take a shower every other day, because we work office jobs and because it's better to wash your hair less. We just exercise on shower days. Do you have a low-flow showerhead or toilet? The former are now much better and you can barely tell the difference.

Ya the LED doesn't do much, but those and other smart devices saved about $60-$70 a year for us. We got free bulbs and dimmers and expensive power bars when the Alberta gov't had the promo a few years ago. Every year or two the gov't also does a special where most LED's are $1 regardless of where you buy them. Good luck on your bills this year, everything will be higher than last if you are on variable.

Oh yeah the upstairs railing is always littered with clothing. Not everything is hung though just the usual suspects, pants and shirts that we don't want shrunk or faded etc. We work out everyday also so the shower thing happens. She doesn't wash hair everyday though. Showerheads low flow probably not. toilets probably not. It was a show home so those items were probably just run of the mill. Water bill usually about 110 to 130 bucks depending on how much is used. I think I just need to be more diligent on running around turning off heaters and lights after people. If I could afford smart switches on all the plugs where there are heaters and lights I would. then I could sit in the comfort of my own living room or office and just shut that crap off with my phone or the google/alexa.
Last edited by freewheelin76 on Dec 30th, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Dec 7, 2013
39 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
Here's something to consider, it's almost boxing week and Christmas is nearly done. That means that indoor timers will be going for cheap. Check that it can handle the load (Most are for Christmas trees) and then that may solve the constantly running space heater problem. Check if your provincial gov't offers rebates on showerheads and toilets, which combined with boxing week could be substantial savings. And if they don't, you can do what we did in a past house, put in a 1L or 2L plastic pop bottle in the tank. Get's you about 20% of the way to low flow capacity for a dollar or so. If all four of you flush 4 times a day then it's 32L of water a day saved. That's almost 1000L a month just from toilets.
Jul 11, 2018
511 posts
487 upvotes
whitefishdome wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 11:18 am
Does anyone hang their clothes? My GF hangs most of hers because it ruins them too quickly to use the dryer. Maybe that's an incentive.
Indeed, I hang dry about 1/3 of my clothes because of my affinity for poly.
Best deals:
May 30, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
aznives3 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 10:34 am
nope i'm already with Atco for both sites, variable floating for both as well. When i signed up in february 2017 the promo at that time was a big bill credit, the anniversary credit, and 50% off admin fees if you signed up both electric and gas. So that's why for me, i have to factor in losing that admin fee credit if i was to switch over to anything else.
I'm curious that so many are on these fixed rates or variable floating.
Is no one on the variable REGULATED services? I always assumed these were historically the best...

Here in Edmonton that means my natural gas is from Direct Energy and my electricity if from EPCOR.
I never understood easymax and other unregulated companies that provided a floating variable rate. They always say "market rate PLUS #"
If it was market + 99cents/GJ that means that would always be 99 cents more than the regulated route since I'm just paying market (or is that naive? am I also paying something on top of market rate?)
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1373 posts
531 upvotes
Edmonton
whitefishdome wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 1:24 pm
Here's something to consider, it's almost boxing week and Christmas is nearly done. That means that indoor timers will be going for cheap. Check that it can handle the load (Most are for Christmas trees) and then that may solve the constantly running space heater problem. Check if your provincial gov't offers rebates on showerheads and toilets, which combined with boxing week could be substantial savings. And if they don't, you can do what we did in a past house, put in a 1L or 2L plastic pop bottle in the tank. Get's you about 20% of the way to low flow capacity for a dollar or so. If all four of you flush 4 times a day then it's 32L of water a day saved. That's almost 1000L a month just from toilets.
This man cheaps
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15332 posts
5609 upvotes
cpulord1337 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:39 pm
I'm curious that so many are on these fixed rates or variable floating.
Is no one on the variable REGULATED services? I always assumed these were historically the best...

Here in Edmonton that means my natural gas is from Direct Energy and my electricity if from EPCOR.
I never understood easymax and other unregulated companies that provided a floating variable rate. They always say "market rate PLUS #"
If it was market + 99cents/GJ that means that would always be 99 cents more than the regulated route since I'm just paying market (or is that naive? am I also paying something on top of market rate?)
The 99 cents/GJ you are hearing is the "transaction fee". On your bill there are two fees that are dependent on your provider - administration fee and transaction fee.

Does your direct energy bill contain a "transaction fee"?
Oct 8, 2012
50 posts
8 upvotes
Cpulord that is how I have understood it as well and the reason I haven't taken advantage of any of these offers in the past. The extra 99c more than offsets any savings after about a year depending on the promo. If anyone can contest this I'd like to hear from you.
Jul 21, 2013
528 posts
187 upvotes
Calgary
indocanuck wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:01 am
Cpulord that is how I have understood it as well and the reason I haven't taken advantage of any of these offers in the past. The extra 99c more than offsets any savings after about a year depending on the promo. If anyone can contest this I'd like to hear from you.
But at ATCO you don't pay the 99ct because it's not variable. It's a fixed monthly admin cost.
Oct 8, 2012
50 posts
8 upvotes
Roger21 you're right thanks for clarifying. I just checked atcos website and the variable rate is the regulated rate + 89c/gj and the fixed rate is $3/gj. So if you're happy paying an inflated fixed rate for a lower electricity rate the deal could make sense. If you want to pay variable it really makes no sense switching from direct energy unless you can get a smoking deal on the admin fee. Or at least that is how I see it.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9327 posts
1984 upvotes
gas hasn't been above 2$ a GJ since Feb 2018 when it hit 2.0

make sure you do the math before switching, im on floating gas plus .49 with enmax (grandfathered). and power is floating but capped at 6.8 cents in AB right now.

I use like 500KW per month, at 3 cents, that's 15$ savings. but on the gas side most months I would pay 1.5 to 2.5/GJ with enmax, plus I get a 100$ annual easy max rewards.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1212 posts
619 upvotes
Calgary
Guys,
keep in mind it's $150 to cancel service.
And you get $50 for signing up.

So really, you can sign up and lock in the electrical rates and then it will cost you $100 to cancel and go back to a variable rate. While keeping the electrical rate.
But it doesn't even look like it's worth doing that...
current floating rate is $1.8? plus the $0.99 cent variable fee. so enmax variable is about $3 right now anyway and likely to go up for the winter.
I'll revisit cancelling once winter is done.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15332 posts
5609 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:54 am

make sure you do the math before switching, im on floating gas plus .49 with enmax (grandfathered). and power is floating but capped at 6.8 cents in AB right now.

I use like 500KW per month, at 3 cents, that's 15$ savings. but on the gas side most months I would pay 1.5 to 2.5/GJ with enmax, plus I get a 100$ annual easy max rewards.
One unknown in the room is the electricity cap.

The electricity cap is being paid for out of the carbon tax - and that's a huge election issue in Alberta right now. If the government changes will the price cap go away and the market can decide what to charge? If that happened I think it's likely our power will go up significantly in the short term until all that wind power comes online and starts producing at the levels they claim.

I'm not saying it's worth it in your case - with the grandfathered Enmax plan you're essentially getting one admin fee free (aka site fee) and your transaction fee is half price (0.49/gj). But you'll likely be saving close to $20/mo in electricity for the upcoming year (if I recall the experts said power is expected to remain high) which is $240/yr. Take our your $100 easymax rewards and that's about $10/mo you still save (and can put towards gas). I think this Atco offer is likely to work out very similar to what you have financially, but comes with the risk that you cannot cancel. But again the big risk is whether electricity stays capped - if the cap is removed this Atco offers jumps to being amazing.
Jan 21, 2003
251 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton
Did anyone who switched (specifically from an existing ATCO Energy plan) receive their $50 credit yet? I didn’t see it on my first bill though I do see the $0.03 and $3.00 rates for most of the month.
Jul 21, 2013
528 posts
187 upvotes
Calgary
rocking23nf wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:54 am

Simply not true:

And as you see the gas price is cheaper variable in the summer months, we you don't use any gas.

And here's the one for floating electricity:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)