[The Athletic] The Athletic Sports Site $1.25/month subscription

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 7:48 pm
Sep 27, 2019
71 posts
119 upvotes
I tried for this deal
$0.75/mo ($9.01/y): https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro0/introperiod12

After cancelling my current subscription (just did that today, it's expiring end of the month anyway). Tried checking out with paypal but said that email was already in use.

Can always register with a new email., but curios if anyone successfully renewed with the $0.75/month or has this worked with new subs only?
Jun 29, 2019
21 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP upvoted the thread and thanks to others for providing links!

i got an email confirmation - $9.01 due for first year
Jan 22, 2019
33 posts
13 upvotes
So I clicked three different links in this thread and saw three different monthly prices ($0.75, $3.99, $5.99).

Noticed that my name was autofilled so I figured out I was still signed into the site from my 90 day trial offer that ended a couple months ago. So I figured, why not logout, clear cookies, and see what happens.

Lo and behold, $9.01 for a year. Thanks OP, and everyone else who posted links. I suggest that if you've been an athletic subscriber before, logout of the site or clear cookies before you try and use the offer.
May 7, 2019
51 posts
56 upvotes
onemoreastronaut wrote: So I clicked three different links in this thread and saw three different monthly prices ($0.75, $3.99, $5.99).

Noticed that my name was autofilled so I figured out I was still signed into the site from my 90 day trial offer that ended a couple months ago. So I figured, why not logout, clear cookies, and see what happens.

Lo and behold, $9.01 for a year. Thanks OP, and everyone else who posted links. I suggest that if you've been an athletic subscriber before, logout of the site or clear cookies before you try and use the offer.
I would double check you are indeed getting it for 9.01. I tried paying via credit card, and although I got an email that said I was going to be charged 9.01, there was a pre-auth for 71.99 on my credit card. After speaking with their support, they said I wasn't eligible for 9.01 pricing and if I wanted to keep my account it would have to be for the full amount. I declined and asked them to refund me.

I tried a second time using paypal, and it just gave me a 7 day trial, and said 71.99 will be charged in 7 days.
Jan 27, 2017
87 posts
23 upvotes
Where is everyone cancelling auto renewal on the desktop version?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2342 posts
1617 upvotes
samj1 wrote: As I said earlier, I hate how The Athletic offers so many promotions. In this post alone you can see how people can be paying quite a range of fees, which can be a bit unfair.

With that in mind, here are two offers I found that you can take advantage of:

180 day free trial: https://theathletic.com/checkout2?plan_id=86
$0.75/mo ($9.01/y): https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro0/introperiod12

Seems like it is best to use PAYPAL.
Sweet, seeing on my Athletics account:
Plan Annual Plan
Next Billing Date Sep 16, 2020
Payment Amount $9.01 CAD
I guess they will charge when the trial period is over.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2342 posts
1617 upvotes
EDM2K17 wrote: Where is everyone cancelling auto renewal on the desktop version?
I will cancel once my trial period is over and amount is actually charged but I see the function to cancel under "your account" Setting.
Last edited by peli33 on Sep 9th, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 18, 2020
16 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
kobaja wrote: I also got charged 71.99 instead of the 9.01 and when I emailed them to get the difference refunded, they instead told me the promo wasn't valid and only gave me the option of keeping the sub at 71.99 or cancelling it all together and getting a full refund. I opted for the full refund. Really shady on their part to try to pull that sort of bait and switch.
Would it be possible for us to complain regarding this? It's an advertised price and we paid. They can't go back
Oct 30, 2018
33 posts
4 upvotes
just signed up and under my account it shows
PlanAnnual Plan
Next Billing DateSep 16, 2020
Payment Amount Subscription$9.01 CAD
Jan 22, 2019
33 posts
13 upvotes
kobaja wrote: I would double check you are indeed getting it for 9.01. I tried paying via credit card, and although I got an email that said I was going to be charged 9.01, there was a pre-auth for 71.99 on my credit card. After speaking with their support, they said I wasn't eligible for 9.01 pricing and if I wanted to keep my account it would have to be for the full amount. I declined and asked them to refund me.

I tried a second time using paypal, and it just gave me a 7 day trial, and said 71.99 will be charged in 7 days.
I appreciate that, thanks. I'm currently in the seven day trial period so I should be able to cancel before I get billed for real. I'll keep an eye on it.
May 7, 2019
51 posts
56 upvotes
JonasCanada wrote: Would it be possible for us to complain regarding this? It's an advertised price and we paid. They can't go back
I complained and all they did was offer to let me keep the sub at 71.99 or cancel it and refund me the entire amount.
Aug 3, 2019
19 posts
4 upvotes
kobaja wrote: I complained and all they did was offer to let me keep the sub at 71.99 or cancel it and refund me the entire amount.
Exactly the same thing that happened to me, have not received my refund yet though...will never deal with The Athletic again.
Jun 18, 2020
16 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
kobaja wrote: I complained and all they did was offer to let me keep the sub at 71.99 or cancel it and refund me the entire amount.
Yeah they just offered me cancellation and refund.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)