Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Athletic

The Athletic Sports Site $0.75/month subscription

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2021 10:17 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1344 posts
119 upvotes
Was anyone able to add this on to their existing subscription? My current subscription expires March 2021
Mar 3, 2013
60 posts
19 upvotes
FWIW, the $1.25/month for 12 months is still working. I see it correctly in my The Athletic account and was charged $1.25 to my CC. I was a subscriber on a previous deal, and I let my subscription lapse then started this deal from scratch.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1748 posts
726 upvotes
Abbotsford
I just got an ad that this is now $0.75/month

I think the ship is sinking, they may be out of business soon, but fill yer boots in the meantime
Sep 15, 2020
69 posts
191 upvotes
Waterloo
Almost got burned applying this deal with an account I previously cancelled in 2018. They tried to charge me $71.99 but I had cancelled the credit card. Support Rep said that deals like this only work for the first year, anytime after the only way to get a deal would be buy a gift plan and apply it to your account.

Also the new link wouldn't show $0.75/month and kept auto refreshing to the full price. This link seems to work for 12 months for $1.25 https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro1/introperiod12
Last edited by ColdStove on Nov 3rd, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 27, 2011
721 posts
1754 upvotes
Calgary, AB
oakjefferson wrote: I just got an ad that this is now $0.75/month

I think the ship is sinking, they may be out of business soon, but fill yer boots in the meantime
Link? Can't find it for $0.75 anywhere.
Fido, Telus EPP plans
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1748 posts
726 upvotes
Abbotsford
ColdStove wrote: Almost got burned applying this deal with an account I previously cancelled in 2018. They tried to charge me $71.99 but I had cancelled the credit card. Support Rep said that deals like this only work for the first year, anytime after the only way to get a deal would be buy a gift plan and apply it to your account.

Also the new link wouldn't show $0.75/month and kept auto refreshing to the full price. This link seems to work for 12 months for $1.25 https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro1/introperiod12

apologies, updated the link in the original post

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/caint ... zEQAvD_BwE
Aug 20, 2016
425 posts
375 upvotes
i hope they stay in business. it is a good read.
the article writers are not doing it for the money.
most of them it is a side gig or if they are really old no one will hire them anymore.
May 24, 2020
103 posts
208 upvotes
isd9999 wrote: i hope they stay in business. it is a good read.
most of them it is a side gig or if they are really old no one will hire them anymore.
I know a couple prominent writers for the athletic (for obvious reasons I won’t share the names, believe me or not...) and I can absolutely assure you this is NOT THE CASE!!!! in fact it couldn’t be farther from the truth. The Athletic invested heavily in what they believed to be prime talent. I promise you all these writers do it as a very real job and wouldn’t be doing it for free.
Apr 20, 2009
288 posts
142 upvotes
isd9999 wrote: i hope they stay in business. it is a good read.
I highly doubt any of them are doing it as a side gig, it's a full time job
Aug 20, 2016
425 posts
375 upvotes
Flush with venture capital cash, the Athletic offers those journalists attractive salaries
$50,000 a year for entry-level reporters and mid-six figures for more accomplished writers
Athletic revealed the salary for beat writers tends to start at about $70,000 a year plus 30k expenses .
Pay almost everyone less than 100k and sprinkle in a few stars.

The more likes you have in social media the more you get paid.

Pierre LeBrun main job TSN.
Peter Gammons MLB Analyst.
Richard Deitsch Fan 590.

Everyone laid off at ESPN, any newspaper, Sports Illustrated, TSN and Sportsnet works at The Athletic now.

They pay more than they have too. There is no other place for 95 percent of their writers to go. The Athletic is their last resort.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1748 posts
726 upvotes
Abbotsford
Do you guys see it going under? These price drops are crazy
Aug 20, 2016
425 posts
375 upvotes
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 171663002/

Journalists looking for work.

----------------------

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco.
“We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

They have been successful newspapers have given up on sports.
The Athletic gets their funding from startup venture groups.
I do not know what their endgame is. Who would buy them?
They cannot go public.
It will be fun until the money runs out.
Feb 13, 2021
1 posts
Does anybody have a deal for better than 2.99/ month currently? The one Ahzuz mentioned seems to be done now.. Thanks in advance for any tips on a better rate
Jun 18, 2011
401 posts
393 upvotes
TORONTO
For those who signed up for 6 months in September, friendly reminder that it will be expiring soon so you should cancel before getting dinged at regular price for a full year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)