Hot Deals

[The Athletic] The Athletic Sports Site $1.25/month subscription

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 3:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1047 posts
553 upvotes
fsteiner wrote: Once you are subscribed, You can go into settings in the Athletic App choose cancel auto renewal. My renewal Feb 21. 2021. I cancelled my auto renewal. Today thx for the reminder
Where is the setting? I can't seem to find it ... ?
Apr 24, 2017
29 posts
12 upvotes
Easier to do it from the website

Once logged in, click on "You" at the top left hand corner, then click on "Your Account" in the drop down menu and in the middle is a place where you can click on Cancel
Jan 1, 2013
410 posts
259 upvotes
POINTE-CLAIRE
Email from Athletic this morning...

I cannot refund the transaction as it is being disputed. You will receive the funds back through the dispute or you can cancel it and reach back out for assistance

So basically because you asked for your money back from somewhere else, we're not giving you your money back. But if you cancel your request for your money back, you can come back here and ask for your money back.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11088 posts
7662 upvotes
Oil Country
Just noticed this promo going on for The Athletic. Great site if you're a big sports fan. IMO, the reports/writers are better than the ones with TSN and Sportsnet.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1038 posts
849 upvotes
Markham, ON
jetcap wrote: Email from Athletic this morning...

I cannot refund the transaction as it is being disputed. You will receive the funds back through the dispute or you can cancel it and reach back out for assistance

So basically because you asked for your money back from somewhere else, we're not giving you your money back. But if you cancel your request for your money back, you can come back here and ask for your money back.
That's fair.

Why would you file a dispute AND ask for a refund?

You should cancel your dispute, and just wait for the refund.

They're pretty good about refunding the difference (did it for me within 8 hours of my request).
FIDO, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1038 posts
849 upvotes
Markham, ON
There's already another thread...
FIDO, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Aug 22, 2019
61 posts
34 upvotes
Prana097 wrote: I tried using Google Pay and I got charged $71.... I should've used PayPal smh
Update, within 7-8 hours I was able to get a refund for the difference and I got an email receipt :)
Sep 18, 2017
562 posts
767 upvotes
Vancouver
jetcap wrote: Email from Athletic this morning...

Uh....isn't that obvious?

They're not going to refund you and then run the risk of having the chargeback go in your favour.

You're being scummy by trying to double dip.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14183 posts
26620 upvotes
Scarborough
I originally signed up for the $9.01/year deal but then they said afterwards that I wasn't eligible so I ended up cancelling. Today I saw an ad on Twitter promoting the $1.25/month deal. Signed up for that using Apple Pay so at least I've got that for 6 months now.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1308 posts
874 upvotes
Was about to cancel my subscription and go with this deal of $9 for the first year and then realised it goes up to $72/year.

As an early adopter, I am on the $40/year plan; and I'm being grandfathered in unless I choose to leave.

Can't complain. Quality content at a very reasonable price.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11088 posts
7662 upvotes
Oil Country
Just an FYI, if you have an Amerifriend that's a Verizon customer, they all received 1-year subs for free but the coupon can only be applied to new accounts. I ended up getting a couple of subs from people in the US. Paid $5USD for one and traded for another one, and just created new accounts for myself and my brother so we could get the 1-year sub for free.
Last edited by fudge_u on Sep 10th, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2032 posts
439 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
gbill2004 wrote: Seems like lots of issues with The Athletic: https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/theathletic.com
Almost every subscription based service auto renews. It's supposedly so you dont lose access when the subscription ends. When i signed up the athletic clearly stated it would auto renew. Some send a notification you'll be renewed but a lot don't. I set a reminder. It takes a few seconds but could save lots of hassle to get a refund later. Or stuck with a service i don't want anymore.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
zerocool24 wrote: Almost every subscription based service auto renews. It's supposedly so you dont lose access when the subscription ends. When i signed up the athletic clearly stated it would auto renew. Some send a notification you'll be renewed but a lot don't. I set a reminder. It takes a few seconds but could save lots of hassle to get a refund later. Or stuck with a service i don't want anymore.
or... just go into your account page and cancel your sub. you're still subbed until the day before the renewal if you do that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)