Expired Hot Deals

[ATIC Computers] AMD EPYC 7742 2.25GHz 64-Core - $9520 (*)

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 2:37 am
Jan 15, 2017
228 posts
78 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't take this as a thinly veiled insult, but as a fellow geek I'm genuinely curious who on RFD is buying this and for what. I expect most business users would be buying pre-built servers, and what kind of individuals are DIYing something this powerful?
Aug 7, 2007
794 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver
Definitely this will future proof your computer for... 2-3 years
Nothing to sell for now :)

All junk... i mean stuff are sold ^^
Jun 11, 2006
59 posts
82 upvotes
Lakefield
It'll make the solitaire game run so much faster.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1114 posts
602 upvotes
I have an office with 5 designers using software like:
CAD ,SKETCH-UP, PHOTOSHOP, ILLUSTRATOR,INDESIGN,3D MAX

Would it be better to build 5 pcs, or do some sort of centralized solution. Keep in mind there's a server room for two 16 Bay SAS for back up. If anyone can help please or even suggest best option thanks in advance.
Mar 27, 2005
329 posts
29 upvotes
Wow Atic is still around? This ma and pa store outlasted the likes of NCIX. Kudos to them!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9293 posts
4932 upvotes
Kyaku wrote: I have an office with 5 designers using software like:
CAD ,SKETCH-UP, PHOTOSHOP, ILLUSTRATOR,INDESIGN,3D MAX

Would it be better to build 5 pcs, or do some sort of centralized solution. Keep in mind there's a server room for two 16 Bay SAS for back up. If anyone can help please or even suggest best option thanks in advance.
They'll need 5 PCs (front end, at least)... Do you need a rendering farm? What's the memory requirement for their renders / workflow (More than 256GB of RAM, for example)? e.g. If they each need a Threadripper with 256GB of RAM, it might be better to give them [relatively] lower end PCs for modeling, and have the rendering done on a centralised backend.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9293 posts
4932 upvotes
chx1975 wrote: The best board fitting a normal case is the Tomcat HX S8030, it has a version with two 10gbit ports and one cheaper with just gigabit ports. It has five PCIe 4.0 x16 slots plus 2 NVMe M.2 22110/2280 plus two SlimSAS connectors for altogether four more NVMe. It's got a lot of bandwidth for a normal ATX board. Hard to get -- Avadirect has it but they do not ship to Canada. https://www.avadirect.com/Tomcat-HX-S80 ... t/13225593
I wonder if you can place a special order with PC Canada as they seem to have a number of Tyan boards on their website.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9293 posts
4932 upvotes
digger314 wrote: Don't take this as a thinly veiled insult, but as a fellow geek I'm genuinely curious who on RFD is buying this and for what. I expect most business users would be buying pre-built servers, and what kind of individuals are DIYing something this powerful?
The usual really, VMs, CFD, rendering, AI/ML/DL, [impatient] kernel developers / [Android] ROM cookers

...yes, there are such individuals...e.g. (old thread, but you get the idea):
https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/hardw ... luent.html

To some, it's a hobby (read as: Diminishing financial-sense)...just like those who would spend $50k+ for a home theatre, or $20k+ on a Trek.
May 29, 2017
278 posts
185 upvotes
Thanks op, with this I can can finally play Minecraft on high at 4k and future proof my PC for 2 years
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9293 posts
4932 upvotes
codex119 wrote: Thanks op, with this I can can finally play Minecraft on high at 4k and future proof my PC for 2 years
You're doing it wrong.
Nov 1, 2017
642 posts
255 upvotes
codex119 wrote: Thanks op, with this I can can finally play Minecraft on high at 4k and future proof my PC for 2 years
You joke but I get a solid 1fps with 2K shaders in Minecraft and 0 fps with 4K shaders.

I have Zen+ and a GTX1080.

You need an endless supply of liquid nitrogen to rub Minecraft properly
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4030 posts
2937 upvotes
Ottawa
chatbox wrote: You people...just because you're not in that market....

It's almost like you're making fun of people looking for houses, when you're happy with your condo.

My mistake for expecting sensible RFD audience.

Edit: i.e. Can you even remotely fathom how silly you've made yourself look?
You people hahahah. People have gotten fired for that.

Rfd is turning into reddit - everyone comes to make the low hanging fruit jokes the fastest. See sex toy threads, blackberry threads, bidet threads. Brings out the basement dwelling mouthbreathers.

Thanks for posting. They are pretty incredible chips :)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4030 posts
2937 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey OP this is exactly the low hanging fruit "jokes" I was talking about :p
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9293 posts
4932 upvotes
Konowl wrote: Hey OP this is exactly the low hanging fruit "jokes" I was talking about :p
Jokes are appreciated when they are, at the very least, intelligent. So far, I've seen none in this thread. They need to up their IQ or something?

(But yeah, I see what you mean.)

But hey, what do I know?

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.”

― Oscar Wilde
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1708 posts
623 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
chatbox wrote: * - Cash Discounted Price

Specs:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-epyc-7742

For price comparison:
Newegg.ca $10,999.99: https://www.newegg.ca/amd-epyc-7742-soc ... -_-Product
PC Canada $10,540.99: https://www.pc-canada.com/item/100-000000053.html
Well lets consider the use case. Lets say I want a to run my own openshift cloud. I could use a farm of Raspberry PI 4B. If I went with the 4GB version, that gives me 1GB per CPU. All in a farm of 32 would probably set me back about $3000 CAD. But I would limited on the maximum container size to something that can run more no more than 4 GB, and everything would need to be able able to run on an ARM processor.

This one CPU would give me slightly less raw processing power, but it is provided in a way that allows far many more use cases.

So it it a fair price? Probably, if you happen to have to fill one of those use cases it is designed for, or if you are a lottery winner who wants computer bragging rights.