Atlantic Canadians - Amazon Prime Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2019 6:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 28, 2018
272 posts
212 upvotes

Atlantic Canadians - Amazon Prime Discussion

Do Atlantic Canadian see value in having an Amazon Prime membership?
I have had mine for 5 years now and I no longer see the point in having a membership. When I first signed up, Amazon Prime consistently delivered packages within 2 days of ordering. Now packages are consistently given an estimated delivery date of approximately 5-7 days. This is the same shipping time frame that's given to non-prime members. I've heard similar experiences from others in Atlantic Canada, so what exactly is the point anymore in having Amazon Prime if 2 day shipping to Atlantic Canada is no longer a thing? Amazon Prime video by itself is not worth the cost of a Prime membership. Anyone else no longer view Amazon Prime as worth it?
10 replies
Aug 21, 2011
112 posts
56 upvotes
Agreed, although it's never really been a big issue for me, it's definitely annoying. We also don't order a lot of stuff from Amazon now anyways so will likely cancel prime soon. On the other hand, I find other retailers and their standard shipping to be almost or as fast as prime, especially Costco online orders, even to rural NB.

Amazon deliveries are usually at least 3 days after the order is placed with prime.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1398 posts
1102 upvotes
Halifax
Most of the time I don't need items right away.

I wish i could actually add time if it made the transportation more efficient - or to wait and attach to another order.
I like it that I don't need a minimum order .

I have like the Prime shows - especially Ms. Maisel and Jack Ryan.

I like the Christmas playlists but we do have itunes.

I see savings on Prime days.

For us it is worth it.
I am thinking that Costco is not worth it lately.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Prime is not just about the shipping. It includes prime video as well.
Jun 21, 2016
283 posts
91 upvotes
I am in a decent size city out west and most orders in the last 6 months are taking 3-6 days typically, I dumped Prime as nothing was getting here in the time frame they promised, they seem to have too much volume now and not enough capacity to meet their own promises. Prime Video was no use for me, not worth keeping Prime for it.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2018
272 posts
212 upvotes
nico29 wrote: Agreed, although it's never really been a big issue for me, it's definitely annoying. We also don't order a lot of stuff from Amazon now anyways so will likely cancel prime soon. On the other hand, I find other retailers and their standard shipping to be almost or as fast as prime, especially Costco online orders, even to rural NB.
Amazon deliveries are usually at least 3 days after the order is placed with prime.
I agree. The free shipping that other online stores have come just as fast as Prime, which you have to pay for. A friend and I ordered the same order at the exact same time on December 2nd. It was a Prime shipping item. I have Prime but my friend does not. The shipping was free for both of us and our item arrived at the exact same time... December 9th, 7 days later. If the person without Prime is getting their stuff at the same time as me then I feel like I'm just wasting money with a membership. The minimum order doesn't bother me since it's easy to spend the minimum amount on Amazon since there's always things I need on it.
JustinL733617 wrote: I am in a decent size city out west and most orders in the last 6 months are taking 3-6 days typically, I dumped Prime as nothing was getting here in the time frame they promised, they seem to have too much volume now and not enough capacity to meet their own promises. Prime Video was no use for me, not worth keeping Prime for it.

I agree, they've outgrown their logistics capacity to continue delivering the promise of 2 day shipping.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote: I wish i could actually add time if it made the transportation more efficient - or to wait and attach to another order.
Me too. There's often something small I want, but don't really need immediately.
It'd be nice to "buy" it and then have it held for shipping until a later date.
Envelopes are pretty small but it's still kind of a waste of packaging and a delivery for an $8 item.
MrManager wrote:
I agree. The free shipping that other online stores have come just as fast as Prime, which you have to pay for.
While I'm not in Atlantic Canada, I've never had any other retailer come even close in terms of shipping times.
I agree, they've outgrown their logistics capacity to continue delivering the promise of 2 day shipping.
I have the exact opposite experience, but to be fair I have a couple warehouses locally here in Vancouver.
You're obviously not that lucky, but practically 100% of my packages have come in 2 days, and quite oftentimes 1 day.

How remote are you? Are you in Atlantic Canada but like a major city?
If it's a very small town I could see how it would take longer than 2 days.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2018
272 posts
212 upvotes
JustinL733617 wrote: I am in a decent size city out west and most orders in the last 6 months are taking 3-6 days typically, I dumped Prime as nothing was getting here in the time frame they promised, they seem to have too much volume now and not enough capacity to meet their own promises. Prime Video was no use for me, not worth keeping Prime for it.
death_hawk wrote: Me too. There's often something small I want, but don't really need immediately.
It'd be nice to "buy" it and then have it held for shipping until a later date.
Envelopes are pretty small but it's still kind of a waste of packaging and a delivery for an $8 item.

While I'm not in Atlantic Canada, I've never had any other retailer come even close in terms of shipping times.

I have the exact opposite experience, but to be fair I have a couple warehouses locally here in Vancouver.
You're obviously not that lucky, but practically 100% of my packages have come in 2 days, and quite oftentimes 1 day.

How remote are you? Are you in Atlantic Canada but like a major city?
If it's a very small town I could see how it would take longer than 2 days.
I live in the heart of Halifax a block away from a major Canada Post sorting facility. It's not the shipping times thats slowing things down, it's how long it takes it to BEGIN shipping. The Amazon warehouse is the holdup usually.
Everyone I talk to locally has the same experiences as me. It's never even close to two days. The estimated delivery date thats automatically emailed once ordered is always 5-7 business days for Amazon prime items.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
MrManager wrote: I live in the heart of Halifax a block away from a major Canada Post sorting facility. It's not the shipping times thats slowing things down, it's how long it takes it to BEGIN shipping. The Amazon warehouse is the holdup usually.
Yeah I'd actually use the executive email in this case. There's something obviously wrong.
Out of nearly 1000 orders there's been a literal handful that haven't met the estimated dates (2 days or less).
Obviously if something is out of stock it takes longer, but I'm talking about in stock items.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2018
272 posts
212 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Yeah I'd actually use the executive email in this case. There's something obviously wrong.
Out of nearly 1000 orders there's been a literal handful that haven't met the estimated dates (2 days or less).
Obviously if something is out of stock it takes longer, but I'm talking about in stock items.
Me and others have talked to them and they stated that 2- day shipping is the guarantee for when it leaves the warehouse not from when its ordered, which is the catch. Ive also ordered 100s of items. Past few years 2 day delivery hasnt existed once. Five busines days is pretty standard here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
MrManager wrote: Me and others have talked to them and they stated that 2- day shipping is the guarantee for when it leaves the warehouse not from when its ordered, which is the catch.
I'd talk to them again.
I've never(ish) had anything surpass 2 days from the date of ordering (assuming I meet cutoff).
I've certainly never had anything take 5 days to process.