HUGE Festool Sale at Atlas Tools - Up to 60% off on Sanders, Drills & Jigsaws

Deal Link:
Savings:
60% off
Expiry:
June 9, 2020
Retailer:
Atlas Tools & Machinery
Just got this email from Atlas Tools. Thought you guys/gals might be interested in high end tools for very reasonable price. Festool almost never go on sale...
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
41 replies
Nov 21, 2010
871 posts
422 upvotes
Canada
soupmaster666 wrote: Lots of great deals there. For causal RFDers - if you've never heard of FESTOOL, this deal isn't for you.
Nice gatekeeping!
Jan 19, 2006
902 posts
73 upvotes
I'd be worried to invest in the 18v batteries and their cordless lines. How much longer before they go 20v or even 60v like dewalt did ?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1648 posts
1387 upvotes
GTA
ScoFF wrote: I'd be worried to invest in the 18v batteries and their cordless lines. How much longer before they go 20v or even 60v like dewalt did ?
If you're that worried a lot of the kits you can just pay an extra $50 for an AC adapter.

Furthermore, festool, unlike other brands, promises to keep replacement parts in stock for at least 10 years.

This is actually an insane deal, Ive been looting at a DTS sander for a while now, so as soon as I got the email I bought it.

Also, just one note for everyone else who isn't too familiar with festool, the hole patterns on their sanders are different from "normal" hole patterns. So that sandpaper you buy from HD isn't going to work. Festool sells their own sandpaper, but I usually use Mirka Abranet for all my festool sanders. Also, if you a net sandpaper, dont forget to get a backing pad! $10 spent now will save you $50 later.
Apr 21, 2012
678 posts
871 upvotes
Ontario
ScoFF wrote: I'd be worried to invest in the 18v batteries and their cordless lines. How much longer before they go 20v or even 60v like dewalt did ?
18V is 20V. Dewalt overseas uses 18V branding because their old 18V branding was never sold elsewhere. The 20V is just marketing. The change in connection interface drove the branding change.
Apr 21, 2012
678 posts
871 upvotes
Ontario
The 30-50% discount price is still twice the price of an overpriced Dewalt tool which is already twice the price of a ryobi or some other brands.

Hard to picture ever needing to pay this much for the bit of additional quality/reliability I assume these have over Dewalt Brushless line if I didn't need to use it every day for a full time job. I have a hard time believing buying one of these tools on sale would last longer then buying 2 dewalt tools at full price.
Jan 19, 2006
902 posts
73 upvotes
Yes but the battery shape is totally different from 18v to 20v and you basically have to have two different battery shapes and sizes ( or use that stupid adapter) or convert to the newer 20v sizes and resell the old tools. They all seem to change their batteries every few years or so (but promise to keep around the old stuff). Then the newest tools use their newest batteries. Just like Festool's regular cordless 18 Li 5.2 batteries, they won't work in these new tools, the charger will though.
Also, Festool's main appeal is their dust collection, so you'll most likely want to use the dust vac connected, so I don't see much point using a battery operated sander standing right next to a vac.
Using the power adapter looks pretty long compared to their power cord versions.
I have most of their staple tools, that's why I also looked over their flyer.
Good prices though.
I even thought about getting their hybrid tools, keeping the systainer, power adapter and selling the batteries and charger but I don't want that longer hybrid tool.
Apr 17, 2012
485 posts
379 upvotes
mobbie wrote: Hard to picture ever needing to pay this much for the bit of additional quality/reliability I assume these have over Dewalt Brushless line if I didn't need to use it every day for a full time job. I have a hard time believing buying one of these tools on sale would last longer then buying 2 dewalt tools at full price.
A 911 doesn't necessarily last twice as long as a Camry. Doesn't mean there's no reason to buy a Porsche...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2242 posts
426 upvotes
shirazir wrote: A 911 doesn't necessarily last twice as long as a Camry. Doesn't mean there's no reason to buy a Porsche...
Right on. His opinion was exactly my view before I picked up one of their tools. Many would think a tool is a tool as long as it gets the job done. Same can be said for Mastercraft vs Channellocks vs Knipex. This deal definitely isn't for everyone, myself included. But I can certainly appreciate the quality of such tools.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1173 posts
715 upvotes
I’m sure these are the older models. I’ve never seen Festool put current models on sale.

Can anyone confirm or reject my suspicions?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1648 posts
1387 upvotes
GTA
CanRulez wrote: I’m sure these are the older models. I’ve never seen Festool put current models on sale.

This sale actually kinda confused me in this regard.... as all the tools are brushless, so its not like the tools are old or outdated tech.

For most Festool sales you can usually pin right down why they are selling it. Either its an old model that's been around for a while, or maybe its a mitre saw that had huge issues with motor burnout so most trades avoided buying them leading to and over supply.

That said, these don't really appear to have a reason to be discounted, and that deeply discounted. 61% is pretty insane for Festool, people usually go crazy at 30%, and normal sales or promos might be like 5-15%.

Also, because someone brought it up, this price is actually comparable to the dewalt cordless sander. I think a decent deal on that is ~$140, add 2 batteries and a charger to that, and you're at $250. Dewalt doesnt sell AC adapters, and the systainers these come with are at a premium. So in an pseudo apples to apples comparison, this is probably the same price as dewalt (if you assume the AC adapter was $50 and a hard case was $50). Except the sander is way better, better dust collection, the systaniner is amazing, etc etc. So yeah, well worth it for some.

Maybe it's just like selling printers really cheap, gotta sell more of that sandpaper. Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
921 posts
1544 upvotes
Toronto
CanRulez wrote: I’m sure these are the older models. I’ve never seen Festool put current models on sale.

This is for their current models. However, they are releasing the newer models later this summer. I heard it will come out in July?
Jun 19, 2018
147 posts
51 upvotes
Edmonton
Was hoping to see their track saw on this sale, too bad.
Jan 4, 2013
543 posts
183 upvotes
Hilti, Milwaukee, ridgid, bosch, etc haven't. Those 60v are no better than Milwaukee 18v or hiltis so I can't see someone like festool piss off a pretty dedicated customer base that pays a premium for their tools to just up and change over, Atleast not any time soon
Jan 4, 2013
543 posts
183 upvotes
ScoFF wrote: Yes but the battery shape is totally different from 18v to 20v and you basically have to have two different battery shapes and sizes ( or use that stupid adapter) or convert to the newer 20v sizes and resell the old tools. They all seem to change their batteries every few years or so (but promise to keep around the old stuff). Then the newest tools use their newest batteries. Just like Festool's regular cordless 18 Li 5.2 batteries, they won't work in these new tools, the charger will though.
Also, Festool's main appeal is their dust collection, so you'll most likely want to use the dust vac connected, so I don't see much point using a battery operated sander standing right next to a vac.
Using the power adapter looks pretty long compared to their power cord versions.
I have most of their staple tools, that's why I also looked over their flyer.
Good prices though.
I even thought about getting their hybrid tools, keeping the systainer, power adapter and selling the batteries and charger but I don't want that longer hybrid tool.
But you can't really compare the 18v to 20v change in dewalt. The old 18v were NiCad and when companies started realizing Lithium was far superior for runtime and power compared to the old NiCad they had to change. Everyone was going away from the cartridge style battery because without that long shaft, they were able to shrink the tool sizes and weight.
Oct 7, 2007
622 posts
166 upvotes
Markham
The ETSC 125 set is tempting though that would mean i would also splurge on a ct26 later. I fear this is going to lead into a dark hole....
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46638 posts
7082 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's a shame that the more popular Festool items (track saw, mitre saw, etc.) aren't the ones on sale.

I see a lot of people jump on the Mirka bandwagon lately. I tried their sandpaper and switched over, considering the premium isn't that much more and they last so much longer. How do their sanders compare to Festool, though?
May 11, 2020
17 posts
11 upvotes
Festool are not worth the money at all me they are overpriced and there warranty is a scam I had a sander break and they claimed that it was wear and tear and didn't want to fix it even though there warranty is 3 years but when I dropped my HILTI impact from a height of 20ft and the drill and battery broke they gave me a brand new battery and repaired my drill in 2 days no questions asked the whole point of spending huge money on these tools is too get the service with it i cant wait 2 weeks for my tools to be fixed so now I just buy makita price is good and I will get close to 4 years out of my makita tools and by then there will be a new and improved tools on the market so ill just buy the new versions. Save your money and also you what happens when someone steals all your tools. Money down the drain