• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 10:10 pm
[OP]
Jun 2, 2007
530 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto

[Atmosphere] Polar Loop Heart Rate Monitor - Misty Blue - $19.88

****Free Shipping**** YOU WILL NEED HRM chest strap to monitor HR...

FEATURES:
Activity guide helps you stay active all day long
Activity benefit gives you feedback about you daily, weekly and monthly activity
Displays daily activity, calories burned, steps taken, time of day
Free guidance with the polar flow app and polar flow web service
Compatible with Polar H6 and H7 Bluetooth Smart heart rate sensors
Waterproof for added protection.
Last edited by asmalworld on May 27th, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't go broke trying to look rich.
21 replies
Mar 14, 2019
163 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
In for 1, thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1866 posts
1698 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
How accurate is the heart rate monitor on these things, I don't give a damn about the watch and tracking, but I usually only want to know my HR when I'm working out or jogging.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15039 posts
2968 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
blackbirdman wrote: How accurate is the heart rate monitor on these things, I don't give a damn about the watch and tracking, but I usually only want to know my HR when I'm working out or jogging.
Grab a chest strap.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1866 posts
1698 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
weedb0y wrote: Grab a chest strap.
Can't be bothered to walk around and carry that everywhere I go lol
😎Thanks RFD😎
Aug 2, 2013
72 posts
54 upvotes
Abbotsford
The product page is a bit misleading. This doesn’t have a built in heart rate monitor, you need to buy one separately. I own one, it’s not bad. The strap is odd in that you have to cut it with a pair of scissors to size it to your wrist, so definitely measure twice, cut once. It’s a bit chunky, and definitely not the nicest looking activity tracker. Also it won’t be a good fit for someone that spends a lot of time around water since if water sits on the touch sensitive button it constantly activates it and kills the battery in no time. I bought mine for $50 and always kind of regretted it. For $20 though your getting a pretty well built product backed by excellent software and Polar health know-how.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15039 posts
2968 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
blackbirdman wrote: Can't be bothered to walk around and carry that everywhere I go lol
Apple Watch is an accurate one as long as there's a nice tight fit.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1866 posts
1698 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
weedb0y wrote: Apple Watch is an accurate one as long as there's a nice tight fit.
Oh no no no. I would never get that. I only get apple stuff for free.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Mar 7, 2011
802 posts
802 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Apple Watch is an accurate one as long as there's a nice tight fit.
Although the sensor is accurate, it is a largely useless device for in-session heart rate information. I’m looking at getting the polar vantage, currently using Apple Watch plus polar a370
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON
blackbirdman wrote: How accurate is the heart rate monitor on these things, I don't give a damn about the watch and tracking, but I usually only want to know my HR when I'm working out or jogging.
Inherent issue with wrist mounted sensors is the use of optical sensors, not too accurate when HR is fluctuating rapidly. Chest straps have the best accuracy, but disadvantage is the inconvenience. For most use cases you won’t need a chest strap, on the more niche side of things the data is helpful though.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1345 posts
1021 upvotes
overtask wrote: Inherent issue with wrist mounted sensors is the use of optical sensors, not too accurate when HR is fluctuating rapidly. Chest straps have the best accuracy, but disadvantage is the inconvenience. For most use cases you won’t need a chest strap, on the more niche side of things the data is helpful though.
Scosche makes one that goes on your forearm and is known to be one of the most accurate HR monitors out there. It's just as accurate as a chest strap. I highly recommend it to people who dont like chest straps.
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON
DanP wrote: Scosche makes one that goes on your forearm and is known to be one of the most accurate HR monitors out there. It's just as accurate as a chest strap. I highly recommend it to people who dont like chest straps.
There are quite a few different varieties, shoulder, leg, etc. wouldn’t say just as accurate because still limited by optical sensor tech (which is getting better).

For most people (myself included) I don’t really need It to match chest sensor accuracy, it just needs to be close enough. Athletes and data junkies will still prefer chest as the tech currently stands.
[OP]
Jun 2, 2007
530 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
Okay after checking some reviews online this tracker will need HRM strap to monitor your HR.
Don't go broke trying to look rich.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1855 posts
1152 upvotes
I have an Amazfit bip and it's fine with tracking. I don't rely it on all the time for HR as sometimes it's off. I can kind of tell where my heart rate is based on running a lot.

With that said I know marathon runners that don't use any HR sensors. They just go base on their intuitive sense.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4173 posts
1262 upvotes
Vancouver
blackbirdman wrote: Can't be bothered to walk around and carry that everywhere I go lol
blackbirdman wrote: Oh no no no. I would never get that. I only get apple stuff for free.
You asked a question and got your answers.

Apple Watch is the best general purpose wearable for most people, cost-exclusive, because it is fashionable, the best smart watch on the market all the while being an excellent activity tracker from pool to turf. Unfortunately, if you're most working out in gym and doing HIIT exercises or any exercise where there is a lot of wrist flex, the HR sensor is almost useless. If you're doing kettlebells, you'll also wreck your watch. So while the HR sensor is great for simple exercise like jogging, you need a chest strap for any super mobile exercises.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1345 posts
1021 upvotes
overtask wrote: There are quite a few different varieties, shoulder, leg, etc. wouldn’t say just as accurate because still limited by optical sensor tech (which is getting better).

For most people (myself included) I don’t really need It to match chest sensor accuracy, it just needs to be close enough. Athletes and data junkies will still prefer chest as the tech currently stands.
I would say the Scosche one is just as accurate as any chest strap. And lots of reviewers who tested it would agree with me.
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON
DanP wrote: I would say the Scosche one is just as accurate as any chest strap. And lots of reviewers who tested it would agree with me.
Peer reviewed cardio pub>"lots of reviewers"

Data for those interested without reading pub:
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3869 posts
1395 upvotes
Montreal
lhsonic wrote:

Apple Watch is the best general purpose wearable for most people, cost-exclusive, because it is fashionable, the best smart watch on the market all the while being an excellent activity tracker from pool to turf. Unfortunately, if you're most working out in gym and doing HIIT exercises or any exercise where there is a lot of wrist flex, the HR sensor is almost useless. If you're doing kettlebells, you'll also wreck your watch. So while the HR sensor is great for simple exercise like jogging, you need a chest strap for any super mobile exercises.
You're assuming everyone has an iPhone?