Salomon Men's X Ultra 3 GTX Hiking Boots - Black/Magnet $124.98, REG 179

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2021 11:29 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2015
1 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Atmosphere] Salomon Men's X Ultra 3 GTX Hiking Boots - Black/Magnet $124.98, REG 179

Hi one of the best hiking shoes are on sale at Atmosphere. The newer Ultra 4's doesn't have as good of a review as the older Ultra 3's.

Both the low-cut and mid-cut version are on sale but sizes are limited.

Low cut version: https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/fo ... 18397.html

Mid cut version: https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/fo ... 18408.html
70 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2015
1020 posts
1171 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Damn I just bought a new pair of trail runners or else I'd get these. I've worked through 3 pairs now and love them.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2996 posts
1153 upvotes
Windsor
I have the v.2 or maybe even v.1 ones (bought in ~2010); I JUST replaced them about 6 months ago. My old ones served me EXTREMELY well (I have easily worn them 2000 days ... easily), and the Ultra 3's I bought feel basically identical. I might just buy another pair so I have them in 10 years when the ones I just bought wear out.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Feb 5, 2010
135 posts
41 upvotes
Hamilton
Damn, the mids are all sold out
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1670 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have had two pairs of those too. But i found them slippery walking on snow/ice. I had to be extremely careful walking near union station tunnel and fell twice last winter:(
Feb 5, 2010
135 posts
41 upvotes
Hamilton
ericw wrote: I have had two pairs of those too. But i found them slippery walking on snow/ice. I had to be extremely careful walking near union station tunnel and fell twice last winter:(
Wow you think with them being hiking boots they would have good grip. That's kind of a shame.
Nov 17, 2015
203 posts
414 upvotes
Banff, AB
Hardcore scrambler, Alpinist here.

These boots are my sole recommendation for friends seeking hikers.

Yes these boots are gtx waterproof. I’ve had the high cut for 3 years and the grip for both uphill and downhill is insane. The vibram pattern is great for supporting your heel on steep downhill scree and the toe box flexes well for toeing and edging or gnarley terrain. One downside is that they will take a good breaking in period; aren’t compatible with sabertooth crampons.

Else than that, the boots are relatively heavy (gtx) and need to be sprayed yearly (wash first) to maintain the coating. I’ve been in silt infested marshlands and these things keep me dry but nowadays I just hike non technical stuff with my speed cross or bushidos.

Basically get these boots they will serve you well for 500-600km
Dec 4, 2012
69 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
I have the low cut and find them slippery on wet rocks. I would not trust these like I trust some of my other hikers when hiking over wet, hard terrain. The sole is very dense - maybe that's why it's slippery. Walking the dog in the city same problem, and if you walk over wet metal (grate, sewer cover) it's like ice. Good shoe, but I'm not sure I would buy it again. I have the Quest 4 ( a couple years old, more expensive) and these are amazing, much more grip (it looks like they might have changed the sole on these to match the OP's boot, which would be a shame).
Dec 4, 2012
69 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
cheelos wrote: Hardcore scrambler, Alpinist here.

These boots are my sole recommendation for friends seeking hikers.

Yes these boots are gtx waterproof. I’ve had the high cut for 3 years and the grip for both uphill and downhill is insane. The vibram pattern is great for supporting your heel on steep downhill scree and the toe box flexes well for toeing and edging or gnarley terrain. One downside is that they will take a good breaking in period; aren’t compatible with sabertooth crampons.

Else than that, the boots are relatively heavy (gtx) and need to be sprayed yearly (wash first) to maintain the coating. I’ve been in silt infested marshlands and these things keep me dry but nowadays I just hike non technical stuff with my speed cross or bushidos.

Basically get these boots they will serve you well for 500-600km
Do you not find them slippery when wet? ( I wish I was in Banff!, I was in Jasper 2 weeks ago and hiked Wilcox pass, but now stuck in T.O)
Dec 24, 2017
879 posts
1925 upvotes
lel
I really appreciate the reviews on here re: wetness and ice. Looks like a good boot for dry hiking but I'm looking for an all year versatile shoe that will work in anything but 10cm+ of snow
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
6236 posts
4030 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad the mid cut is OOS, but jumped on board for the low cut.
Nov 17, 2015
203 posts
414 upvotes
Banff, AB
scubacuba wrote: Do you not find them slippery when wet? ( I wish I was in Banff!, I was in Jasper 2 weeks ago and hiked Wilcox pass, but now stuck in T.O)
Please let me tell you this in the most non condescending way possible but I usually find that’s more of a user issue than a shoe. I find these shoes excellent in water especially when jumping rocks with 65L+ backpacks across mossy shitty rocks and glacier fluvial flows. They may be slippery because of sizing issues or so or rubber wear and tear in the outer foot area (usually only get that from boot skiing scree)

I mean I backcountry/approach in crocks and flip flops so yeah lol.
Nov 9, 2014
437 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ChubChub wrote: I have the v.2 or maybe even v.1 ones (bought in ~2010); I JUST replaced them about 6 months ago. My old ones served me EXTREMELY well (I have easily worn them 2000 days ... easily), and the Ultra 3's I bought feel basically identical. I might just buy another pair so I have them in 10 years when the ones I just bought wear out.
It's worth jumping in on the V3 low cut ones. I recently bought a gen4 version and it is not as good as the V3 - I regret the Gen 4 purchase. I'm going to pick up one of the V3's for when I finally ditch the gen4s that I bought.
Mar 8, 2008
234 posts
152 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks OP! I was looking for hiking shoes! Ordered a pair online with a $15 coupon. $115~ shipped.
Aug 13, 2020
840 posts
3763 upvotes
Thanks Xiaochen723 [OP] and congrats on your first post !

Started hiking recently with my runners. My feet would get wet within seconds.

In for 1 !
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1180 posts
1691 upvotes
How is the sizing? True to your regular or do you prefer a bit snug or loose due to the breaking in etc. I have been a hiking madman past year and half but majority I have are trail runner/hiking and you see their limitations on some of the harder trails or especially now that it's constantly cold or wet.