Home & Garden

Attic Accommodation Rental

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 1:33 am
[OP]
May 11, 2019
4 posts

Attic Accommodation Rental

I want to rent an attic room but I was wondering how temperatures usually are up there in the winter? Can a portable heater help? Does it get unbearably cold as I read somewhere the attic is usually same temperature as outside. How true is this?
11 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
blueivory wrote: I want to rent an attic room but I was wondering how temperatures usually are up there in the winter? Can a portable heater help? Does it get unbearably cold as I read somewhere the attic is usually same temperature as outside. How true is this?
How big is the "room"? What kind of heating/cooling is up there now - baseboard? Are you responsible for electricity - very expensive to heat a attic with electric baseboard. Attick could be super crazy hot in the summer and cold if not properly insulated.

Regardless of what the landlord says, put temp requirements (summer and winter) into your lease. If it's hot, you need them to supply A/C and if cold you need them to supply heat.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
May 11, 2019
4 posts
Its bigger than a standard room and the landlord says the central heating and cooling gets up there. I also noticed an extra fan and a portable heater up there as well. The landlord is responsible for heating and confirms I can use an extra heater. No idea about the insulation and cannot confirm even if I ask the landlord. With this information, what do you think?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5746 posts
2532 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You might want to take a look at the number of opening windows and estimate insulation by thickness of roof (no guarantees but more space between roof and attic means more potential for insulation. Could get dreadfully hot if the roof is dark colour and gets lots of sun exposure.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11906 posts
8171 upvotes
Edmonton
You don’t give a location, so it’s hard to give precise answers. First off, I’d see if you’re covered under the local landlord-tenant act. Second, you might ask if you can contact some of the past tenants to see what their thoughts on the liveability was.

I’d be hesitant, unless you can visit on a hot afternoon. One of the issues with “central air” is that you’re not likely to be the one controlling the temperature. So a setting that’s comfortable for people on the main floor may still leave you roasting.

C
[OP]
May 11, 2019
4 posts
Great point, thanks. This is in st catharines. Would they mind me asking for contacts of previous tenants? I like it becos of the great space but I want to be sure
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3923 posts
1912 upvotes
You would be renting just a room so you wouldn't fall under the Landlord-Tenant Act.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2403 posts
1311 upvotes
GTA
I'd be worried about cooling up there more than heating....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2152 upvotes
GTA
blueivory wrote: Does it get unbearably cold as I read somewhere the attic is usually same temperature as outside. How true is this?
An attic over an insulated ceiling is the same temp as the exterior, sort of doubt that is what you are renting.
[OP]
May 11, 2019
4 posts
Oh, it's not over d ceiling. It's a normal loft/attic room, with d ceiling over it. I must have read d wrong information
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2278 posts
1621 upvotes
SW Ontario
No idea of how its laid out, but I think I'd want to ensure proper alternate exits are possible in the event of a fire.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...