• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2019 6:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 5, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes

Attic hatch mold

Guys can anyone tell me if this is mold?

How to fix it/get rid of this?
Images
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.12.17 PM.png
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10386 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
Won’t solve the root problem. Grab some weather stripping for around the hatch.
Jan 7, 2013
754 posts
419 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Jerico wrote: Won’t solve the root problem. Grab some weather stripping for around the hatch.
Yeah I had the same mark's before fixing my weatherstriping. In the winter warm moist air is seeping up the hatch, freezing, and later melting and you get mold. Add latches too if there aren't any to pull the hatch shut tight.

Concrobium works well for mold on porous surfaces.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10386 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
Trutech sells a genius hatch system for way too much money from what looks like re-worked screwed up doors. It’s door jamb with compression weather stripping and a piece of a door (so it’s r11) and basically held down by its own weight.

I think I saw it at Lowes but might have been Depot. Would give you an idea of what to do.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1439 posts
249 upvotes
Grimsby
To feel comfortable I might grab a flash light and check the beams in the roof just in case this is not an isolated spot. Has there been additional insulation added to the roof area? Just wondering if this happened and the installers failed to use baffles to protect the soffit vents causing them to be blocked.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5985 posts
6205 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: Get an empty spray bottle (like Windex) and pour bleach in it. Spray bleach and voila. You might need two or three applications. Bleach can kill almost anything. Works on ants/spiders...
FYI bleach doesn't kill most molds. Just makes them white/clear and less visible.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...