Home & Garden

Attic Insulation - Enbridge Rebate - worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 7:13 pm
[OP]
May 14, 2007
183 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto

Attic Insulation - Enbridge Rebate - worth it?

Hello - I need to have my attic insulation upgraded - it's an old semi-detached townhouse, and my bedrooms upstairs are always few degrees colder/warmer than main floor. I found out that currently in ON there's a rebate from Enbridge, if I combine Attic insulation with another energy saving upgrade. As per their website, I will be eligible for up to $650 in rebates ($500 for Attic Insulation; $150 for Air Sealing), however in order for me to qualify, a Registered Energy Advisors will need to visit my house and complete an audit, which may cost me up to $300.

I was wondering if it's worth it going through all this.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
It's an annoying process, you should read through it in more depth to be aware of everything.

I've known a number of people who have done it and got the credits fine, and a lot more people who didn't even bother with it.

Generally, the process is this;

Pay $250? + tax for an audit.

Do 2 upgrades within a time frame and document it.

Pay $250? + tax for another audit.

IF you meet the target reduction, you will get the rebate plus the audit costs covered.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1850 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
Is there other criteria? Like age of house need to be 1999 or earlier built?
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11094 posts
4339 upvotes
I cannot comment on the rebate but we did our attic a couple of years ago - under that Ontario energy program - and wow what a difference. 2nd floor is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1850 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know result! How much did it cost total and how much rebate you end up getting back?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20543 posts
13939 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I was looking at something similar in BC. I quickly decided against the program as I needed the work to be done by a 'qualified' installer so I could not DIY. If you break down the cost, I saved over $1,000 by DIY over the contractor, rebate, assessment route.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11094 posts
4339 upvotes
azybcxrfd wrote: Good to know result! How much did it cost total and how much rebate you end up getting back?
I was about $300 out of pocket, the remainder was covered by the rebate program. The program covered windows, electric cars and attic insulation. I wanted to do windows as well but didn't have time before Ford cancelled the program.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8402 posts
4086 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If the insulation is thin, absolutely worth it. The year-to-year energy consumption figures (we only have electric for heating) indicated a pretty good reduction. Haven't been able to improve on it since. House is cooler in summer and warmer in winter (or same temp but less energy required to maintain).
craftsman wrote: I was looking at something similar in BC. I quickly decided against the program as I needed the work to be done by a 'qualified' installer so I could not DIY. If you break down the cost, I saved over $1,000 by DIY over the contractor, rebate, assessment route.
The rebate in BC would be o.k. if it wasn't capped ($900, calculated at 2¢/R- value s.f.). If it wasn't capped my rebate would have been 2x as much which would have made it almost the same as getting it done. Only good thing was I wrote a review on the insulation (Owens Corning) and won an iPhone XS which made up the difference.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19468 posts
22601 upvotes
GTA
Insulation is totally worth it. You can DIY for about $300 in insulation bags and blow it in yourself with some helpers. Even paying $1000 to have someone do it is also worth it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20543 posts
13939 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
engineered wrote: Insulation is totally worth it. You can DIY for about $300 in insulation bags and blow it in yourself with some helpers. Even paying $1000 to have someone do it is also worth it.
Yep. The big box stores will generally have sales on the stuff as well - ie 20% - and if you buy enough, they will lend you the insulation blower for free! So, if you have an afternoon, a econo-van to haul the stuff to your house, a strong back, a helper with a strong back, and a case of cold beer (for afterwards as you will need to return the blower so no drinking while insulating!), it can be done easily enough. And while you are there, insulate and seal the attic hatch.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)