Home & Garden

Attic insulation - recommendations?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 11:08 am
[OP]
Member
Dec 9, 2001
313 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto

Attic insulation - recommendations?

Has anyone gotten their attic insulation done recently? I'm looking for recommendations and pricing advice. I got a quote from one company for about $1 square foot to do about 1600 sf of insulation in my attic. They mentioned it was about 10 inches of R30 now and they would add another 11 inches of R65 to top it off and that I already had baffles up there.

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
You might be able to get it slightly cheaper, but there's a floor below which no one will go because of the fixed cost of travel, labour, etc. I paid 1.20/sqft to go from R-12 to R-50 cellulose, including baffle installation (non-standard width) and upgrading two attic hatches. If you're just getting blown in, 1/sqft is common.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
It's an easy DIY job, did it myself in about 4hrs for about 600 all in. If you buy a certain number of bales from Lowe's (20 I think, doing the whole house to R50 easily hits this number) I got a free machine rental for a day. I also rented the store cargo van to get the insulation and blower home, then put the blower in our SUV to bring it back.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15980 posts
8834 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
fusion2k2k wrote: It's an easy DIY job, did it myself in about 4hrs for about 600 all in. If you buy a certain number of bales from Lowe's (20 I think, doing the whole house to R50 easily hits this number) I got a free machine rental for a day. I also rented the store cargo van to get the insulation and blower home, then put the blower in our SUV to bring it back.
Never run the store's van as it's a rip off compared to Uhaul as you typically get the Uhaul van for less and it's for the whole day!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Never run the store's van as it's a rip off compared to Uhaul as you typically get the Uhaul van for less and it's for the whole day!
U-Haul charges per km. Store van was 20$ with unlimited km. I had bought the stuff from the store so it was a no brainer.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15980 posts
8834 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
fusion2k2k wrote: U-Haul charges per km. Store van was 20$ with unlimited km. I had bought the stuff from the store so it was a no brainer.
But you have to get it done in 4 hours... unless you want to transport that blower in your own vehicle. The blower isn't actually light nor small so most people won't be able to get it into and out of their own vehicle very easily plus you might ding up your vehicle with the blower or get a lot of cellulose dust in your vehicle from the blower. With the UHaul, you don't have to care as much... - just throw it in and then sweep any dust back out after when you are done.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5715 posts
2517 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
DIY is easy enough if you can access your attic. Also the length of run from where you put the blower to further reaches of your attic minus, say, 5'/2m + add some factor or lack of bending in hose. A friend who can lift bales and run them through the blower helps too.

Depending on what insulation you use, cost varies. Owens/Corning blowers have free 24-hr rental with 10 bag purchase.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5658 posts
3412 upvotes
Mine was $1/sq foot, paid for in full by the Ontario tax payer
[OP]
Member
Dec 9, 2001
313 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
grumble wrote: You might be able to get it slightly cheaper, but there's a floor below which no one will go because of the fixed cost of travel, labour, etc. I paid 1.20/sqft to go from R-12 to R-50 cellulose, including baffle installation (non-standard width) and upgrading two attic hatches. If you're just getting blown in, 1/sqft is common.
How was the company that did yours? Would you recommend them?
fdl wrote: Mine was $1/sq foot, paid for in full by the Ontario tax payer
Did they do a good job? What company did you use? I think the rebate is only $500 this time around.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
webthrasher wrote: How was the company that did yours? Would you recommend them?



Did they do a good job? What company did you use? I think the rebate is only $500 this time around.
I used EcoComfort, they're a smaller business that did a solid job at a fair price. I'd recommend them.

Note that the 500 dollar rebate is not 100%. You're required to show a certain efficiency gain now, the program does have some regulatory risk due to the current government, and you need to do a second qualifying upgrade to get the 500 (which you need to go from R-12 or less to R-50+).
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9676 posts
9136 upvotes
Markham
My entire street used EcoComfort. I highly recommend them, pros in and out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5658 posts
3412 upvotes
webthrasher wrote: How was the company that did yours? Would you recommend them?



Did they do a good job? What company did you use? I think the rebate is only $500 this time around.
Logik roofing. Yes they did a good job.
Sr. Member
Sep 17, 2008
596 posts
95 upvotes
I used logik roofing last year, and the gas bill reduced about 50$/month over winter months. So i think you can save couple hundreds dollars in term of gas/electric bills yearly. Money well spent.
[external links removed]

Top