• Oct 3rd, 2021 11:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 28, 2010
94 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto

Attic/roof repair

I am looking for a processional attic/roof repair contractor. I had mice get in the attic, I need a professional to repair the holes the mice created to get in/out of the attic so they do not re-enter. Looking for quality work with a reasonable price.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1244 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, if I knew where you were, I would have a recommendation. But, I don't.
[OP]
May 28, 2010
94 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, thx for pointing that out, I fixed my location setting. I am in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1885 posts
591 upvotes
ORLEANS
how did u get rid of the mice? my front house is brick and i saw a mice run into the weep holes and i assume they ran all the way up the attic behind the bricks. how did you get rid of them?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17495 posts
12225 upvotes
Markham
I don't think there is a cleaning service for what OP wants. If you consider the size of the attic and amount of insulation and the size of droppings/mice, the only way to "clean it" is to suck the entire attic insulation and replace it.

Just plug the holes as best you can and leave it be...FYI there is stuff [mice/droppings] in all sorts of cavity all over your house like under cabinets, behind walls, between floors etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
May 28, 2010
94 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Palidino wrote: how did u get rid of the mice? my front house is brick and i saw a mice run into the weep holes and i assume they ran all the way up the attic behind the bricks. how did you get rid of them?
Throw a mix of a few mouse and rat poison baits along the walls of the attic, mice have poor vision and use walls, etc. for guidance. They will eat it up fast and die within 4 days (its a blood thinner that is lethal to them if they eat enough which they will). Also place them in nooks and cracks behind/between appliances, etc. as they can fit through spaces half their size.
Do not leave food sources, if no food is found they leave in about a week to avoid starvation.
Seal/fill any holes you find no matter how small, they will gnaw their way out of the house through wood as they potentially did to get in, copper wire mesh will deter them as it gets stuck in their teeth so place some in the holes you patch.

Another trick I have seen which I will implement is encasing external vents in chicken wire.
You could also set outdoor bait traps around the external property, ever noticed retail buildings with black boxes on the ground every few feet around the building like walmart? those are bait traps.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25643 posts
22392 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I mention this because I've had to deal with both issues in the past year...
athanato wrote: Throw a mix of a few mouse and rat poison baits along the walls of the attic, mice have poor vision and use walls, etc. for guidance. They will eat it up fast and die within 4 days (its a blood thinner that is lethal to them if they eat enough which they will).
When the little critters expire inside your house there will be a distinct stench as their carcasses decompose. Usually the location will be inaccessible so you'll be living with that smell for a few weeks.
Another trick I have seen which I will implement is encasing external vents in chicken wire.
This will also prevent birds from nesting inside the vent. This can easily happen if the plastic vent cover breaks after exposure to the elements for many years.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
May 28, 2010
94 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: I mention this because I've had to deal with both issues in the past year...

When the little critters expire inside your house there will be a distinct stench as their carcasses decompose. Usually the location will be inaccessible so you'll be living with that smell for a few weeks.

This will also prevent birds from nesting inside the vent. This can easily happen if the plastic vent cover breaks after exposure to the elements for many years.
I did not have an issue with smell but that can happen.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)