9256 posts
853 upvotes

Attic storage

Has anyone tried this ? :)

15 replies
Jan 27, 2021
109 posts
50 upvotes
most homes in Canada have the attic access inside a closet or somewhere not entirely easy to get to.
if you have one in the upstairs hallway i think its a good idea
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5678 posts
1730 upvotes
0 downvotes
The way our homes are framed in Canada There is not much usable attic to have storage space. The trusses often have a lot of framing on them and without majour re-structuring or engineering them it will be very difficult to make a usable open space.

Now in the USA things are different, if u ever watch those movies you see the attics are not insulated and empty and have platforms you can walk on, that aint gonna happen in canada.
Hi
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3051 posts
1776 upvotes
Markham
Just like everyone above said, there isn't much useable space. It is also a b*tch to get in and out of that access.
In that space, it is also freezing in the winter and boiling hot in the summer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9256 posts
853 upvotes
roosters6879 wrote: most homes in Canada have the attic access inside a closet or somewhere not entirely easy to get to.
if you have one in the upstairs hallway i think its a good idea
I wonder if we can cut another attic opening in another location e.g. above the hallway on the second floor.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9256 posts
853 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: The way our homes are framed in Canada There is not much usable attic to have storage space. The trusses often have a lot of framing on them and without majour re-structuring or engineering them it will be very difficult to make a usable open space.

Now in the USA things are different, if u ever watch those movies you see the attics are not insulated and empty and have platforms you can walk on, that aint gonna happen in canada.
That's true
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17661 posts
19819 upvotes
GTA
rdx wrote: I wonder if we can cut another attic opening in another location e.g. above the hallway on the second floor.
Problem is if you can do this, you don't have enough insulation. When R12 was standard that was ok. My parents had that. Now with R60, the insulation is well above the joists. So it would only work if you convert your attic to conditioned space by spray foaming under your roof.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1182 posts
256 upvotes
OTTAWA
For years I stored some stuff that I did not want to throw away in the un-insulated attic above my 2-car garage. About 5 years ago, I emptied the attic for fear that the heat in summer may cause fire to the storage.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3051 posts
1776 upvotes
Markham
Rockymountain wrote: For years I stored some stuff that I did not want to throw away in the un-insulated attic above my 2-car garage. About 5 years ago, I emptied the attic for fear that the heat in summer may cause fire to the storage.
It will not reach that temperature to ignite the paper boxes.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1182 posts
256 upvotes
OTTAWA
BDSL wrote: It will not reach that temperature to ignite the paper boxes.
Yes, agreed. Thanks for your comments.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9256 posts
853 upvotes
I notice some new houses e.g. those built by Conservatory Group, have attic finished as the third level living space which is included on the official floor plan. Personally, I don't want to walk up another level and the 3rd floor as the regular living space, but I don't mind have having extra room as the storage/huge walk in closet :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3051 posts
1776 upvotes
Markham
rdx wrote: I notice some new houses e.g. those built by Conservatory Group, have attic finished as the third level living space which is included on the official floor plan. Personally, I don't want to walk up another level and the 3rd floor as the regular living space, but I don't mind have having extra room as the storage/huge walk in closet :)
That is what basement and garage is for....storing stuff.
And if you still need additional storage space, one needs to think about decluttering.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5678 posts
1730 upvotes
0 downvotes
BDSL wrote: That is what basement and garage is for....storing stuff.
And if you still need additional storage space, one needs to think about decluttering.
actiually, your brother-in-law's basement is for storing stuff for those who live in a condominium townhome with no garage or no usable attic or one of those ground level basements with no storage and just a washing machine room and bathroom and staircase to go upstairs lol
Hi
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5678 posts
1730 upvotes
0 downvotes
the last thread he made on it was also over 2 years ago and maybe he forgot he made it? give the guy a break, also I feel there is no need to "lookup" someone and study their post history, we are all here to answer questions, if i made a post and felt no one answered it the way i was hoping 2 years ago I too would make a new one, maybe newer members are more helpful than older seniority ones? give the guy a break
Hi