• Mar 11th, 2018 3:35 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5635 posts
2286 upvotes
Winnipeg

Atv/Quad recommendations

Any one have any good buying advice on quads? Is there much movement on price?
8 replies
Mar 20, 2006
284 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
I have found if you are looking for a discount, go looking for units that are old stock and are still new (warranty). I had an arctic cat and a BRP and enjoyed the BRP more than the AC. There was no issues with the AC, but it didn't feel like it tracked as well to me.
Nov 13, 2008
392 posts
58 upvotes
Kitchener
airmail wrote: Any one have any good buying advice on quads? Is there much movement on price?
Are you looking at a specific brand / model? What are you planning on doing with it? There are lots of options out there, mild to wild, cheap to super expensive. Is it your first machine?
Feb 6, 2018
78 posts
19 upvotes
I have a Honda TRX420 for 4 years now and it still runs great. I have friends with Yamaha's and they've had good luck with them.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
I have a 2017 Can Am Max 650...I needed a legal 2-up.....the most reliable but slowest is Honda...NO debate...Yamaha is the next most reliable and faster...Polaris and Arctic Cat cheapest by far but also you WILL have to visit your dealer service dept...Can Am somewhere in the middle...better build quality fit and finish than Polaris and Arctic Cat but much more expensive...If I did not require 2-up would have got Yamaha for sure....love Honda...but bland performance...not sure your needs...but 2 best options to get are power steering and independent rear suspension....if you are just farting around on it a bit or plowing your driveway then not so much..
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
Had a Raptor 600, Honda 400 and 2x420 ranchers, one in auto the other manual. Had a problem with the auto shutting down after getting hot, was at the garage for days at a time, replace a fuel pump, didn't fix it, eventually they replaced the filter, lol. Used snow plow on the 420. I find most if not all quads are solid. Brother had a polaris. There isn't much room to move on price since, unlike cars where you have an 'invoice' price, they don't exist for 4 wheelers or motorbikes. Did you want auto or manual? So many options on these.

Just asking for a boat load off and start from there.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5635 posts
2286 upvotes
Winnipeg
jheath wrote: Are you looking at a specific brand / model? What are you planning on doing with it? There are lots of options out there, mild to wild, cheap to super expensive. Is it your first machine?
Looking for reliable model.. want something for me and my young son to enjoy. Don't need any big engines.
And want an automatic
Nov 13, 2008
392 posts
58 upvotes
Kitchener
airmail wrote: Looking for reliable model.. want something for me and my young son to enjoy. Don't need any big engines.
And want an automatic
Well, most will be reliable if you're not super hard on them and they are maintained properly. If you plan on riding with a passenger, I would recommend a factory built two up machine vs. hanging a seat on the rack of a single rider machine or trying to squeeze a second rider on a single seat. Currently Polaris, Can Am and Arctic Cat (now Textron offload) sell legal, purpose built two up machines, along with some Korean / Taiwanese imports. My personal recommendation would be a Can Am Outlander 450 or 570 Max (what they call a two up). You should be able to get one brand new under 10k with a 5 year warranty and it will be tame enough for a first time rider but have enough power that you won't get bored easily.

A Honda, Yamaha or most other Japanese machines would be a solid and reliable choice, but at this time none of them make an ATV that is legally capable of riding with a passenger.