• Aug 13th, 2020 9:05 pm
[OP]
Jul 16, 2012
185 posts
70 upvotes
Laval, QC

Audi A4 2017 or VW Golf R 2019

Hi Guys,

I'm currently car shopping since my workplace wants us to slowly go back into our offices and I currently do not have a car.

I have done a lot of research on the VW Golf R 2019 (DSG + DAP) and had my mind set on it. I am looking to lease the car for 42 months, 12K KM/year, 0$ cash down.
I will be visiting the dealerships this week to try to get the 3000$ off that many of you were able to get. I would also like to credit the free 4 year maintenance to save another 1000$.
With 4000$ of rebates, this should set me to 580$/month + txes (Obligation of 28 500$ before taxes, 32K$ with taxes). Keep in mind that I live in Montreal, QC, where the tax is 15%.
Do those numbers sound about right? Will it be a better to buy the car instead and sell it in a few years?

But after some looking around, I saw a few Audi's A4 S-line 2017 that are for sell, for around 31 000$ + txes. Here is one that I was looking at: Kijiji Link
If I would get a loan from my bank, we are talking about 3.99% to 4.99% for a period of 4 years. With taxes and estimated interest rolled in, we are talking of a loan of roughly 46 000$, but this is for a car that I will own and will be able to resell in 3-4 years.
I am not very familiar with those cars and their reliability. Will this be a reliable, low maintenance car for a reasonable price? Factoring in that I will be selling it in a few years to get some of my capital back, should I consider this instead of the leased Golf?

Any of your input or recommendation is greatly appreciated!
63 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27552 posts
12599 upvotes
Toronto
as I was saying in the VW Golf thread, leasing a virtually 2 model years old car is not wise, IMO. The residual & interest rate absolutely are horrible. Unless your workplace has some kind of subsidy or paying for your lease, then it is not a big question at all then.

Wait for August Audi program (due out next week) and see what they are offering for the A4 and go from there.

As for the 2017 A4, $31,000 is on the high side. I would think $28,000 - $29,000 is more fair to you (if you are serious).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27360 posts
7672 upvotes
Split the difference. Buy a used S3 of similar price point :D

A4 is a larger car and feels larger, though the B9 does not feel as large to drive as the older B8 car IMO.

It's also sedan v. hatch so it depends what you're really after. If you'd prefer the sedan the S3 gives you that in what is essentially a sedan version of the .:R; plus the somewhat minor upgrades of the Audi over the VW, along with better performance than an S4. IMO it's your best bet here.

BTW you can still lease a brand new 2019 .:R? Crazy.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27552 posts
12599 upvotes
Toronto
2020 A3 Technik - MSRP $47,200. No other options chosen

42 months
16,000km per year
1.98%
46% residual
$0 down
No protection plan chosen

factory credit $2,000
Project dealer side discount 5.5%
Fees - freight pdi + dealer admin fee + ac tax - approx. $2800 rolled into payment

Projected monthly - $619 + taxes (Quebec) = $712 OTR
Due on delivery - first + security + ppsa + license

Total obligation for 42 months - $29,900 cash outlay
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13938 posts
8358 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Split the difference. Buy a used S3 of similar price point :D

A4 is a larger car and feels larger, though the B9 does not feel as large to drive as the older B8 car IMO.

It's also sedan v. hatch so it depends what you're really after. If you'd prefer the sedan the S3 gives you that in what is essentially a sedan version of the .:R; plus the somewhat minor upgrades of the Audi over the VW, along with better performance than an S4. IMO it's your best bet here.

Yep, there's a lot of them out there as I was looking at them before getting the wrx. Mine you, the dealers are treating these like rolls royces and not really interested in haggling, lol.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27360 posts
7672 upvotes
koffey wrote: Mine you, the dealers are treating these like rolls royces and not really interested in haggling, lol.
Wow that's sad. Don't know how they are expecting to stay afloat with covid, but it seems the dreams of low prices are really over hyped by people. I've been looking at some used vehicles recently out of curiosity, thinking this may be the time to buy a second car, but it seems prices are mostly up! :confused: Even Autotrader itself indicates some of the cars I'm looking at are like $2,000 or so above the "IQ fair market" price :rolleyes:

Dunno what these car places are thinking unless there's lots of haggle room on used vehicles?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27552 posts
12599 upvotes
Toronto
+ 1 for some unknown reason or whatever the latest trends that's in the VW car culture, the majority of the dealers do think their Golf R is the ultimate hyper super car that they don't need to discount a penny at all. Exactly the same mentality as the Subie dealers but on ALL of their vehicles. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Jul 16, 2012
185 posts
70 upvotes
Laval, QC
ES_Revenge wrote: Split the difference. Buy a used S3 of similar price point :D

I personally prefer a hatchback to a sedan, as it feels a little roomier and the trunk space is a plus. I did consider the S3 but all the ones available on the used market are the older generation (2016,2017) and the dashboard feels very dated. They are also a little higher on the mileage (70k +) which scares me with those kinds of cars.

This is why I was looking at the A4 2017, because it has been redesigned and feel more updated vs a 2016-2017 S3, and are usually lower KM and still under warranty.

The Golf R can still be leased but the prices are ridiculous, which is the little thing that is making me hesitate in getting it.
Jan 28, 2017
368 posts
349 upvotes
Markham
as discussed in the Golf thread, you're better off doing cash purchase if you can on 2019s as you will be eligible for factory cash discount. Lease residuals and financing rates on Golf R are terrible. If long term reliability is a concern, I would buy the .:R in cash and sell when the warranty is up. That was my plan originally with the 19 GTI I purchased last month if I'm making warranty claims within next 4 years, otherwise its a long term hold.

Also, I believe the 2017 A4 is the first year of the B9 platform? May want to think twice about buying used; buying CPO w/ extended warranty is probably safer but will cost more.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2012
185 posts
70 upvotes
Laval, QC
booblehead wrote: 2020 A3 Technik - MSRP $47,200. No other options chosen

42 months
16,000km per year
1.98%
46% residual
$0 down
No protection plan chosen

factory credit $2,000
Project dealer side discount 5.5%
Fees - freight pdi + dealer admin fee + ac tax - approx. $2800 rolled into payment

Projected monthly - $619 + taxes (Quebec) = $712 OTR
Due on delivery - first + security + ppsa + license

Total obligation for 42 months - $29,900 cash outlay
This is pretty interesting. Are these cars readily available as I need one in the next 2 weeks.
Maintenance wise, is Audi much more expensive than VW for lets say oil changes and checkups?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27360 posts
7672 upvotes
CiviCity wrote: I personally prefer a hatchback to a sedan, as it feels a little roomier and the trunk space is a plus. I did consider the S3 but all the ones available on the used market are the older generation (2016,2017) and the dashboard feels very dated. They are also a little higher on the mileage (70k +) which scares me with those kinds of cars.
Whaddya mean "those kinds of cars"? That's exactly the kind of car you're trying to buy here! :lol: Yeah you're trying to buy a newer one but still, it's this kind of car lol.

You're right the pre-facelift has some older interior/"comfort" features but it's not the end of the world. People don't need LCD cluster, auto braking and all that stuff. S3 is still a great car and again basically the same as an .:R mechanically.

But, if you prefer the hatch I think there's your answer already--get the .:R--just don't get conned into paying too much for it. If you're leasing with the intent of giving it back at the end, you don't really have to worry one iota about resale value, but you do have to worry about how much of the car you're paying on (difference from the residual) and what kind of deal you're getting. If dealer isn't willing to play ball I wouldn't bother.

FWIW these cars are pretty reliable, there's not a whole lot of problem areas to my knowledge. Only thing is unless you have a record of when the last carbon cleaning was done, it's probably something you'll want to get done and this includes the A4. A 2017 can probably go a couple more years before a cleaning but not too much longer than that.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27552 posts
12599 upvotes
Toronto
CiviCity wrote: This is pretty interesting. Are these cars readily available as I need one in the next 2 weeks.
Maintenance wise, is Audi much more expensive than VW for lets say oil changes and checkups?
Do a check on your local Audi dealers to see what they have and go from there.

As for maintenance, you don't have to do them at Audi dealer, you can go indy shop and may save you a bit of $ too. Just be sure to keep all receipts and do the maintenance as per scheduled and you would be ok. Alternatively, you can also try to get a deal done with the dealer by negotiating the prepaid maintenance be included into the deal or negotiated at some significant discount on it.

If you are pretty new in getting a car from dealer, then bring a friend along to help you out on negotiating with dealer.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2012
185 posts
70 upvotes
Laval, QC
bear20 wrote: as discussed in the Golf thread, you're better off doing cash purchase if you can on 2019s as you will be eligible for factory cash discount. Lease residuals and financing rates on Golf R are terrible. If long term reliability is a concern, I would buy the .:R in cash and sell when the warranty is up. That was my plan originally with the 19 GTI I purchased last month if I'm making warranty claims within next 4 years, otherwise its a long term hold.

Also, I believe the 2017 A4 is the first year of the B9 platform? May want to think twice about buying used; buying CPO w/ extended warranty is probably safer but will cost more.
Yes this is the first year for this platform. You got a point there that I didnt think about. I think I will disregard this option and keep the 2020 A3 or the 2019 Golf R in my list.
ES_Revenge wrote: Whaddya mean "those kinds of cars"? That's exactly the kind of car you're trying to buy here! :lol: Yeah you're trying to buy a newer one but still, it's this kind of car lol.

You're right the pre-facelift has some older interior/"comfort" features but it's not the end of the world. People don't need LCD cluster, auto braking and all that stuff. S3 is still a great car and again basically the same as an .:R mechanically.

But, if you prefer the hatch I think there's your answer already--get the .:R--just don't get conned into paying too much for it. If you're leasing with the intent of giving it back at the end, you don't really have to worry one iota about resale value, but you do have to worry about how much of the car you're paying on (difference from the residual) and what kind of deal you're getting. If dealer isn't willing to play ball I wouldn't bother.

FWIW these cars are pretty reliable, there's not a whole lot of problem areas to my knowledge. Only thing is unless you have a record of when the last carbon cleaning was done, it's probably something you'll want to get done and this includes the A4. A 2017 can probably go a couple more years before a cleaning but not too much longer than that.
Hahaha you are absolutely right about "those" kinds of car, I was more referencing the used marked VS the new car :P

So at the end of the line, my options are buying the R if the dealer is not open for wiggle room on the lease, buying a 2016-2017 S3 or leasing a new 2020 A3.
Too many choices is never good haha
Jan 28, 2017
368 posts
349 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote: Wow that's sad. Don't know how they are expecting to stay afloat with covid, but it seems the dreams of low prices are really over hyped by people. I've been looking at some used vehicles recently out of curiosity, thinking this may be the time to buy a second car, but it seems prices are mostly up! :confused: Even Autotrader itself indicates some of the cars I'm looking at are like $2,000 or so above the "IQ fair market" price :rolleyes:

Dunno what these car places are thinking unless there's lots of haggle room on used vehicles?
I don't follow used car prices that closely, but I think its a bit of both. Lots of people are experiencing "covid fatigue" and have been spending money on what they would've spent on vacations/experiences but instead, now spending on non essential big ticket items, such as cars. Just within my social circle and observing my neighbours, I've seen new/used car purchases, home renos (interlocking, new deck, swimming pool), new pets, etc. Also add in the fear of taking public transit if they have the choice to drive instead.

With respect to cars, most ppl on rfd automotive are enthusiasts and bargain hunters - either will know how to price a car fairly or ask the right questions to get a fair value. I'd imagine the average consumer still dont know/care about cars enough and would probably pay close to asking price if within reason (i.e. the person who walks in randomly to the dealership to "check things out" and comes out with a signed vehicle 3 hours later). Thats my 2c on the car market, but nonetheless the market is experiencing excess demand at the moment.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27360 posts
7672 upvotes
Well you could always buy a used Alltrack, put on an IS38 and call it a day. Maybe some bigger brakes too. Don't think that one is available with the electronic/LCD cluster either though--I think only .:R has that.

Did you consider a used .:R though or are those prices too high as well?