• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2020 1:34 pm
[OP]
Mar 22, 2007
70 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough

Audi Care worth the money?

I just got a Audi on a four year lease. They're offering the Audi care package at $750 I'm wondering if this is a good deal. I try really little so I probably won't hit their 50,000 75,000 mark. How much would it cost me to go out and get it service and have the engine oils changed and all that
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28126 posts
13341 upvotes
Toronto
for regular oil changes, prob looking at $160 for each time at the dealer. If done by indep. shop, you are probably looking at $120 (max) and if you buy your own supplies (say during a sale of oil @ CT, for example) + $20 to bring to your mechanic to have it change, then less than $100.

What are the exact list of items covered for your model ? I am sure some will say $ worth and while others would say it's rip off because you are leasing, spend as little as you can.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35846 posts
9928 upvotes
Ottawa
Isn't scheduled maintenance included for 4 years? Or did they stop that and charge $750 for it?
If not, an oil change and service can easily be $400 and more. It does not matter how much you drive, the intervals will be mileage or time, whichever comes first. My MB first service was over $300 and the second was over $600. I don't see Audi costing much less.
So, is it worth it? You will need at least 3 annual services in the term of your lease.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
4688 posts
818 upvotes
Caledon
Did you get an Audi with the Stronic transmission?
[removed external advertising links]
[OP]
Mar 22, 2007
70 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
I got an Audi a4 Quattro automatic transmission. I'm probably going to keep it after the lease agreement. I'm leasing cause it's at 1.9% and $1000 off. Do I have to go in every year for oil change? I'm expecting to drive low kms (8k-10k) a year.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28126 posts
13341 upvotes
Toronto
Yup. IMO. So the warranty can be kept without the grey area issues down the road.
Feb 11, 2007
590 posts
1162 upvotes
Delta
My wife has a 2011 a4 and got the audi care, that sounded like a great deal until you look at the service intervals. I think the first was at 12000, then the next at 25000 which she is almost due for, and then i think another 12-13000 until the next one.

I regret her not getting the wheel/tire insurance that will repair or replace curbed wheels or flat tires.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35846 posts
9928 upvotes
Ottawa
jon_na_fun wrote: I got an Audi a4 Quattro automatic transmission. I'm probably going to keep it after the lease agreement. I'm leasing cause it's at 1.9% and $1000 off. Do I have to go in every year for oil change? I'm expecting to drive low kms (8k-10k) a year.
It is not just an oil change, it is a service as well. No, you don't have to take it to the dealer for an oil change but, who else can do the service and certify it?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41978 posts
6620 upvotes
If I recall or if memory serves me correct, when I had Audi Care with my B7 A4 when I purchased it in May of 2009, I did not have to pay for oil changes or the routine maintenance. Of course parts is not covered, but I think that may have changed now.

I think it might have been worth it?
Proud to be an Indian.
25725 posts
3203 upvotes
Montreal
djemzine wrote: If I recall or if memory serves me correct, when I had Audi Care with my B7 A4 when I purchased it in May of 2009, I did not have to pay for oil changes or the routine maintenance. Of course parts is not covered, but I think that may have changed now.

I think it might have been worth it?
That's weak. Volvo's free maintenance covers brakes and wipers. 750$ for 4 oil changes? Screw it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28054 posts
8493 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Isn't scheduled maintenance included for 4 years? Or did they stop that and charge $750 for it?
I'm not sure if it was ever included in Canada but if it was 2006 would have been the last year for it (that was when it ended in the US). Audi Care (a standard $750 option) has been given out for free on various promotions I believe, but aside from that you do have to pay for it.

It is definitely worth it if you plan to service the car at the stealer. If you plan to service it on your own, save your $750. Keep in mind it includes all scheduled maintenance, including two brake fluid flushes (done every 2 years), 5 oil changes, and also includes anything else scheduled up to the 80k km mark in the service book. Includes cabin air filters, tire rotations, and all the checks/tests. Because the first spark plug change and air filter change are at the 85k km mark it does NOT include those, unfortunately.

It's most "worth it" on the A3 and TT Quattros with DSG because it also includes changing the Haldex oil and DSG oil once each (in the 55k km service) but still worth it on other vehicles if you're going to service at the dealer.

However IIRC it expires after 4 years so you do have to have all the services done by then. I'm not sure how it will work for you because the time periods in the maintenance book (again IIRC) are "longer" than the mileage intervals. What I mean by this is that each service interval (8/25/40/55/70 in thousands of kms) comes up only every year in time periods. So in four years without getting to 70k kms you'd only get as far as the 55k/4yr service (i.e. 4 scheduled intervals instead of 5). If you want to come up on all 5 services in 48 months you have to drive at least 17.5k kms per year, otherwise you'll only get to 4 with the time intervals of 1 year. Read the fine print of the Audi Care thing to be sure of what you'd be getting if you do less kms than 17.5k in a year. I'm not sure if the dealer can "work with you" on the mileage/time intervals to get you all five services or not, even if you haven't gotten near to 70k after 4 years. You will get the 2nd brake fluid flush (and the 55km service) no matter what because just based on time they come up again at 4 years, but I'm not sure if they'll allow the 70k km service if you haven't reached that as the time period is otherwise another year later.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2007
70 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
Probably not, they are saying that I save 50% if I get 4 maintenances in whereas i save 60% if I get 5 maintenances in. I'm probably going to keep the car so i think it'll be worth it. Otherwise it doesn't make sense for me to take car of a lease car if I don't keep it after 4 years.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2007
70 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
O, and the first one is free regardless if I get Audi car or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1134 posts
151 upvotes
It's 1 year or the next mileage indicated on the maintenance schedule. Regardless of how much you drive you would get the 5 scheduled maintenance. Your car CEL will light up to tell you to go for your schedule at the 1 year mark or the next mileage indicated.

Oh and it's def worth it if you have stronic as it includes the transmission fluid change.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5603 posts
1308 upvotes
I found audi care well worth it -- unless you're going to a non dealer shop or doing it yourself you will save $500 or so by buying the service.

It seems mildly ***** to buy a 50k+ car and then take it to someone without the proper equipement to service it (and if they do have the proper equipement they will charge a similar price to the dealer anyways)
Jun 2, 2009
261 posts
86 upvotes
It's actually fluid changes.. that's oil, brake fluid, coolant, quattro differential, as well filters, spark plugs....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28054 posts
8493 upvotes
jon_na_fun wrote: O, and the first one is free regardless if I get Audi car or not.
Oh yeah that's right so you're only getting 3 services out of it (plus the two brake fluid flushes). If you're not going to get to the 5th service, it's probably not worth it.
kazkira wrote: It's 1 year or the next mileage indicated on the maintenance schedule. Regardless of how much you drive you would get the 5 scheduled maintenance. Your car CEL will light up to tell you to go for your schedule at the 1 year mark or the next mileage indicated.
CEL shouldn't light up but the maintenance reminder will certainly be there...every time you start the car. Plus the odo gets that little wrench icon beside it I think. But if you go by years you'll only get to 4 services in 4 years, whereas you are eligible for 5 services if you do that many kms before 4 years. It looks like they already told the OP the 5th won't be covered if he doesn't get to the kms, so overall it's probably not worth it. He'll likely spend less than $750 on services 2, 3, 4 and two brake fluid flushes, even if done at the dealer.

OP doesn't have DSG or Haldex in his car so he won't see those service benefits from Audi Care either.
Jun 21, 2010
228 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Called in today to find out the cost. Sales tactics or nor, they were saying the price will go up to CAD$900+ tomorrow.
Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
4688 posts
818 upvotes
Caledon
meeru wrote: Called in today to find out the cost. Sales tactics or nor, they were saying the price will go up to CAD$900+ tomorrow.
It's true, and it is now based on what model it is. Some are more expensive.
[removed external advertising links]