Automotive

Audi dealer issues for car delivery.. should I worry?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2009 11:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes

Audi dealer issues for car delivery.. should I worry?

EDIT: 30 minutes after posting this message the dealer called me saying he had just received the car..

As you may have seen in another thread of mine I decided to buy an A4 last month. Here's my little story..

- I put a deposit on a A4 on April 18th.. There was one coming by boat and arriving in Halifax on the 24th, it was supposed to go to another dealer but my dealer "took it" (ie: tagged the car or something and "rerouted" it to him). According to him, I'd have it on the 30th, or maybe may 1st if it was late.

- May 1st comes, still no car. I was told that the car left Halifax on the 28 so they'd have it the week after, ie: May 4th.

- May 8: still no news.. so I call them and the car is apparently sitting in Montreal but hey, not to worry he was expecting it the same day.

- May 12th: still no news.. so I call him and hey what do you know, dealer has no clue what the hell the car is still doing in Montreal. he says that he was in communication with Audi canada to figure out whey they aren't shipping it to them. There's apparently another car in the same situation but it will all get resolved and when that happens he usually gets the car within 24 hours. (heard that one before..)

- Still no news today, 3 days after the "I usually get the car within 24 hours". (big surprise )

Now my question is: while this isn't really "normal", is it something I should worry about? Do they have some kind of repair facility in Montreal where they fix cars that they dropped off the boat or train? The dealer tells me that the car is assigned to me in the system, hasn't been sold twice and that yes, I'll get it soon but I keep wondering how come that Audi Canada could screw up the transport of car like that.. something seems fishy..

The dealer is also dragging it's feet and not providing the car info to my insurance company... which makes things even more fishy. I got a good deal on the car and my trade-in and there aren't many 6MT left w/ sport pack otherwise I would have tried to get my deposit back. Then again, I'm not sure what I'd buy... and not sure that I can even get my deposit back since there isn't a "delivery date" written on my purchase agreement.

That really makes me feel confident that service will be great at the dealer and that if something happens under warranty they'll be more than helpful. </sarcasm>
(There's only one Audi dealer in Ottawa.. well two, but both belong to the same owner so not much of a choice)
24 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
32080 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
In general, the dealer is allowed up to 90 days to deliver you the car. Therefore, you will not be allowed to back out and get your deposit back.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2006
3412 posts
43 upvotes
London
Get your deposit back, he strung you along for nearly a month. :(

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes
booblehead wrote: In general, the dealer is allowed up to 90 days to deliver you the car. Therefore, you will not be allowed to back out and get your deposit back.
My understanding is that it's 30 days after the expected delivery date of the car which:
a) isn't written on the contract
b) is being pushed back at least once a week..

The car is in high demand though so I guess he could sell it to someone else for more (I got a pretty good deal on it). That can work both ways though: if I hint that I may be willing to cancel he can simply wait until I get fed up and decide to cancel for good. On the other hand, if I tell him that I want my money back he may give it to me without a hitch.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 7, 2008
5851 posts
771 upvotes
Ottawa
mart242 wrote: My understanding is that it's 30 days after the expected delivery date of the car which:
a) isn't written on the contract
b) is being pushed back at least once a week..

The car is in high demand though so I guess he could sell it to someone else for more (I got a pretty good deal on it). That can work both ways though: if I hint that I may be willing to cancel he can simply wait until I get fed up and decide to cancel for good. On the other hand, if I tell him that I want my money back he may give it to me without a hitch.
Care to share on the deal you got?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes
Well F me. The dealer just called, the car can be ready for 4pm.
:D
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5766 posts
1604 upvotes
i would wait a bit .... maybe a few dyas and escalate it up from that point

the problems are

a) you have a car you want at a price you want ... this car is not available anywhere else

b) they've given you a trade in value ... for a car you're currently driving and depreciating ... for free

so just wait it out a bit



edit .... just saw the car is ready

enjoy the new car :)

audi >
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 7, 2008
5851 posts
771 upvotes
Ottawa
mart242 wrote: Well F me. The dealer just called, the car can be ready for 4pm.
:D
My question still stands...

And congrats!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes
TripleHelix wrote: My question still stands...

And congrats!
I'll update you on that tonight.. I'm trying a little something with the may promo with the dealer (since I bought in April and delay was caused by Audi canada)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
7146 posts
176 upvotes
Nepean
which dealer did you go to? pm me if you feel comfortable.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes
TenzoR wrote: which dealer did you go to? pm me if you feel comfortable.
Mark Motors on Hunt Club. I'll try to get the real story about WTF happened with the car..
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 7, 2008
5851 posts
771 upvotes
Ottawa
mart242 wrote: I'll update you on that tonight.. I'm trying a little something with the may promo with the dealer (since I bought in April and delay was caused by Audi canada)
I doubt they will do anything since the contract was signed in april.

I wont have internet tonight and will forget about this by the time I get back on tuesday. Whats the deal you have in place at this point?

You can PM me if you dont want to post it here for whatever reason :P
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes
TripleHelix wrote: I doubt they will do anything since the contract was signed in april.
- Audi care
- 2500$ off car
- 1600$ fleet incentive (my wife's employer qualifies)
- 1800$ off for the May promo (instead of the 2 months free (ie: in my case the monthly payment is 666$ so I've got 1800$ + tax instead of 2 x 666$). Since with the april promo the 1st free payment came out of his pocket, I asked for the may incentive + 300$ and he gets an extra 370$ in his pocket
- He also gave me 1500$ more on my trade-in than BMW and Subaru offered..

I'm quite happy with the deal
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 7, 2008
5851 posts
771 upvotes
Ottawa
mart242 wrote: - Audi care
- 2500$ off car
- 1600$ fleet incentive (my wife's employer qualifies)
- 1800$ off for the May promo (instead of the 2 months free (ie: in my case the monthly payment is 666$ so I've got 1800$ + tax instead of 2 x 666$). Since with the april promo the 1st free payment came out of his pocket, I asked for the may incentive + 300$ and he gets an extra 370$ in his pocket
- He also gave me 1500$ more on my trade-in than BMW and Subaru offered..

I'm quite happy with the deal
Awesome!

Congrats!

I myself am waiting for news on how much the A5 will be with the 2.0T
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mart242 wrote: - Audi care
- 2500$ off car
- 1600$ fleet incentive (my wife's employer qualifies)
- 1800$ off for the May promo (instead of the 2 months free (ie: in my case the monthly payment is 666$ so I've got 1800$ + tax instead of 2 x 666$). Since with the april promo the 1st free payment came out of his pocket, I asked for the may incentive + 300$ and he gets an extra 370$ in his pocket
- He also gave me 1500$ more on my trade-in than BMW and Subaru offered..

I'm quite happy with the deal
I assume this is for financing?

The lease deals are worse in May...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes
VivienM wrote: I assume this is for financing?

The lease deals are worse in May...
Yup. Financing. At that price for a car, I intend to keep the car a long time <knock on wood>
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DrXenon wrote: Congratulations! I myself will be driving home a new (to me) A3 next weekend if everything works out. I hope you won't look down your nose at me since you are now an exalted A4 owner and I will have an entry-level Audi. :-)
Did you get a certified pre-owned A3 from a stealership?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mart242 wrote: Yup. Financing. At that price for a car, I intend to keep the car a long time <knock on wood>
Do you know what the deal is with Audi and extended warranties? Do they offer any, and if yes, around what price?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6438 posts
232 upvotes
VivienM wrote: Do you know what the deal is with Audi and extended warranties? Do they offer any, and if yes, around what price?
I've never bought extended warranties so never bothered to ask them about how much it is.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7576 posts
3839 upvotes
My sales manager would always tell me to never promise a customer a car by a certain date unless we had it in stock or could get it from another dealer (as long as it wasn't some rare colour), because even if Honda Canada tells us they expect a car to be delivered to the dealer at a certain date, somehow it can end up being delivered weeks later.

Top