• Jan 30th, 2020 11:34 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18324 posts
2181 upvotes
Woodbridge

Audi (Q3) Oil Change

What is the spec, for whatever reason I can't find it in the owner's manual. I sent an e-mail to Amsoil (Preferred Member) and was told NONE OF THEIR OILS MEET THE REQUIREMENTS?!? Okay. I'm surprised, they even have a separate European oil to choose from.

Where can I get the oil, I wonder if Castrol 0W-30 meets the requirements. After all it's Made in Germany. LOL I'm obsessed with 0W-30, been using it since I learned about it back in 2002. I was hoping for Amsoil since I paid for a membership.

Apparently, Audi will do the first oil change for free but they want me to wait 1 year or 15,000km. That's not happening, I just don't believe in once a year OCI, oil changes are cheap (since I DIY) for me to wait that long.

My 2020 has 2.500, I picked her up in middle of December so there's plenty of time.

Thanks.

I wonder how many down votes this will get. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
17 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11207 posts
3474 upvotes
Toronto
If the car is lease, I would just follow what's the manufacture recommended, which is 1 year or 15k
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 4, 2017
274 posts
246 upvotes
Audi has built in oil service interval reminder built into the MMI. When you get close to the date or mileage you would get oil change warning on the dashboard.

I don't think Audi dealer would put in Amsoil.

As the main Audi thread on RFD has pointed out, Audi Care just gone up in price as of Jan 2020 on case you were interested in dealer maintenance.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2419 posts
2297 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just google the spec in the manual and you'll get plenty of options.. If you want the free oil change you have to do it by their schedule 1 year / 15000km.

I don't get the oil brand loyal, just get one that meets the specs and is priced competitively and change often.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3886 posts
3225 upvotes
Oakville, ON
bembol wrote: What is the spec, for whatever reason I can't find it in the owner's manual. I sent an e-mail to Amsoil (Preferred Member) and was told NONE OF THEIR OILS MEET THE REQUIREMENTS?!? Okay. I'm surprised, they even have a separate European oil to choose from.

Where can I get the oil, I wonder if Castrol 0W-30 meets the requirements. After all it's Made in Germany. LOL I'm obsessed with 0W-30, been using it since I learned about it back in 2002. I was hoping for Amsoil since I paid for a membership.

Apparently, Audi will do the first oil change for free but they want me to wait 1 year or 15,000km. That's not happening, I just don't believe in once a year OCI, oil changes are cheap (since I DIY) for me to wait that long.

My 2020 has 2.500, I picked her up in middle of December so there's plenty of time.

Thanks.

Looks like VW/Audi have updated requirements for 2020 and they have a new spec.

The new spec to look for is VW 508 00 or sometimes might be noted as 508.00

Current oil that VAG uses with spec is:

Castrol EDGE® Professional® 0W20 Long Life IV

Search around and you might find others. Guaranteed that the dealership will have in stock. Check with them on price and then shop around from there.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... r-2020.pdf
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13980 posts
8388 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote:

At least 5+
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3225 posts
3504 upvotes
bembol wrote: What is the spec, for whatever reason I can't find it in the owner's manual. I sent an e-mail to Amsoil (Preferred Member) and was told NONE OF THEIR OILS MEET THE REQUIREMENTS?!? Okay. I'm surprised, they even have a separate European oil to choose from.

Thanks.

No. German Castrol, as Castrol Syntec 0W30 is known as, is a 50200 approved oil which is not to be used on your car. The only place to get oil for your car is from the dealer. No other place in Canada (retailer) stocks it. The car calls for 50800 approved oil.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18324 posts
2181 upvotes
Woodbridge
Nine. Not bad.

Thanks. It's financed. Looks like dealership it is.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
bembol wrote:
The first oil change, sure, if you want to get the manufacturing gunk out of the engine. But 15,000km is not very long for an oil change interval, and there is considerable risk, especially on a DI/GDI engine, of changing the oil more frequently than the manufacturer spec's and clogging up your intake.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6243 posts
1909 upvotes
BC
Various arguments can be made against performing oil changes more frequently than the automaker prescribes.

The most persuasive one is that today's oils contain many additives designed to work together in synergistic fashion (whole is greater than the sum of the parts).

That synergism doesn't come about right off the bat. The additives have to start breaking down a bit before they can provide maximum benefit.

An oil rated for a 15K km OCI (in the right application) getting replaced at 7 or 8K km may mean that you are dumping it out before it has reached optimal effectiveness.

Some theorize that the new oil you then put in doesn't even provide the same lubrication properties as the old oil because those fresh additives represent a significant proportion by volume.

Not sure that theory can be proven. Similarly, no one knows for sure if there is any measurable incremental wear during the first start with a new filter (whether or not you prime it).

Don't be guided by what seemed like a good idea 20 years ago when oils and engines were different from today's.

Even German Castrol has moved along and is now made in Belgium.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5450 posts
3025 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: No. German Castrol, as Castrol Syntec 0W30 is known as, is a 50200 approved oil which is not to be used on your car. The only place to get oil for your car is from the dealer. No other place in Canada (retailer) stocks it. The car calls for 50800 approved oil.
Not true,

https://germanoem.ca/parts/chemicals/ed ... l-cas.html

https://germanparts.ca/parts/83202ML

https://germanparts.ca/parts/483701OM
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10748 posts
2615 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Was going to suggest Germanparts.ca and it looks like they do sell the correct oil.
0_o
<_<
>_>
May 20, 2018
251 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a 2019 GLI and 2018 tiguan both calls for the same VW 508, The oil is currently quite expensive as it is not widely available.

Few people have done oil analysis at12k km and found the oil to be still good and recommended to do a change at 15k.

Yes germanparts does hold motul specific and Liquid molly .

For me i walk into a VW dealer to get the castrol.
But from what i hear the VW dealership is moving to Motul aswell. This because VW and castrol deal is done.
Once a petrohead always one ..
Nov 30, 2005
855 posts
258 upvotes
Belleville, ON
Isnt your first maintenance interval free at 8000km? Plenty of indy will do oil change for you with the right spec'd oil.