Hot Deals

[Audio Shop] Focal Sopra No2 Floorstanding Speakers - Display Model Clearance - $14,999.99

Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19392 posts
6470 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I stopped reading at the suggestion to watch a video to demonstrate the sound.
Jul 5, 2008
551 posts
277 upvotes
Hmmm.... these or Edifier 2000's. Decisions, decisions.

By the time I upgrade all my gear to suit the speakers I could have bought a new C8. I know which I'll enjoy more. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1649 posts
359 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Lol, tax paid on this can buy a decent set of surrounding speaker system probably sound same, lol.
There is no end to high end./
<No political content in signatures>
Aug 13, 2020
167 posts
483 upvotes
A former co-worker spent about 25K on a sound system setup (With a streaming appliance.)

It sounded fantastic but what I don't get is why he didn't hookup his TV, Computer, ETC..... He only used it for music.
May 12, 2012
67 posts
50 upvotes
CALGARY
To spend this kind of $ on any audio equipment, one has to learn that the sound is only as good as your bottlenecked equipment on the chain. If a top notch set is fed with TV sound, you are getting TV sound. To really know how this speaker would sound, all upstream components have to be as good, if not better than, the speaker. This is going to need some serious planning and knowing your equipment. I would not be surprised, the connecting cables would cost more than a non audiophile person's whole sound system.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9810 posts
5841 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I stopped reading at the suggestion to watch a video to demonstrate the sound.
The video is there not for the audio demo...but there for the physical aspects and aesthetic.

(You didn't get far enough to the /s comments)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1583 posts
1160 upvotes
GTA West
I was wondering whatever happened to audiophilia. At one time "hi-fi" was all the rage and everybody wanted the best speakers and amps and turntables. Guys in electronics stores intimidated customers with arcane terminology and people one-upped each other with their specs. I guess it just moved upscale but WTF, $25k speakers?

Most people seem happy now with $1,000 TV's that have 2 inch speakers and cell phone audio!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9810 posts
5841 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I was wondering whatever happened to audiophilia. At one time "hi-fi" was all the rage and everybody wanted the best speakers and amps and turntables. Guys in electronics stores intimidated customers with arcane terminology and people one-upped each other with their specs. I guess it just moved upscale but WTF, $25k speakers?

Most people seem happy now with $1,000 TV's that have 2 inch speakers and cell phone audio!
Some moved to headphones... removing the room from the elements.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19392 posts
6470 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I was wondering whatever happened to audiophilia. At one time "hi-fi" was all the rage and everybody wanted the best speakers and amps and turntables. Guys in electronics stores intimidated customers with arcane terminology and people one-upped each other with their specs. I guess it just moved upscale but WTF, $25k speakers?

All that moved to Home Theater, but yes, we live in an age where everybody is happy using cell phones and tablets for everything just like it killed most consumer photography.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8092 posts
4598 upvotes
Kootenays
chatbox wrote: Some moved to headphones... removing the room from the elements.
Others moved to mp3s, removing the soul from their music!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1583 posts
1160 upvotes
GTA West
chatbox wrote: Some moved to headphones... removing the room from the elements.
I am not sure people even listen to music anymore. It is just background noise, or something to drown out other noises when you are on the subway etc. I don't know of anyone who settles in for an hour or two in front of a hifi tower to listen to an album or piece of music from a high quality system.

People seem to have such low standards these days! I keep a landline for the voice quality while others seem happy with narrow band and choppy cellphone audio, and the speakers in laptops. As I age and my hearing degrades, this is becoming really important. I have a pretty good quality speaker attached to my desktop and I put a sound bar on my TV that I can adjust for good quality.
Oct 23, 2014
277 posts
195 upvotes
Laval, QC
I’m sure these sound phenomenal with the right gear to go along with it. Market has always been there for the folks who can afford it.

I dream about systems like this and maybe one day I will have one ,but I’m not holding my breath..lol. For now I will stick to their headphone line which I can afford.