Hot Deals

[Audio Shop] Focal Sopra No2 Floorstanding Speakers - Display Model Clearance - $14,999.99

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9810 posts
5841 upvotes
IslandDeal wrote: Advice ?

I love "mobile" music with headsets and bluetooth speakers. For our home we went from my parent's 1980's amps, tuners and turntables to $100 computer speakers and a $200 "All-In-One" blue ray/amp/speaker combo for our TV.

What would you recommend I look at to get started on the audiophile path ?

Thank you !
Island Deal
Start from here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewRobinsonphoto/videos

Not a fan of the 'audiophile' term (as it often links back to price range and snake oil reputation in the general public's perspective...and there has been a lot of snake oil marketing in fact.). We're just people who like good music and good sound reproduction.

Also note that great sound doesn't have to be expensive.
Last edited by chatbox on Oct 18th, 2020 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27369 posts
7676 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I was wondering whatever happened to audiophilia. At one time "hi-fi" was all the rage and everybody wanted the best speakers and amps and turntables. Guys in electronics stores intimidated customers with arcane terminology and people one-upped each other with their specs. I guess it just moved upscale but WTF, $25k speakers?
$25k+ speakers are nothing new. Grande Utopias were over $30k USD the first time I heard of them, and that was back in the early 00s--I'm sure speakers of similar dollar amounts (and more) existed many years prior as well.
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Most people seem happy now with $1,000 TV's that have 2 inch speakers and cell phone audio!
Indeed but these type of speakers, even ones that are "only" $15k on demo/clearance are not for "most people". Most people aren't actually happy with "TV speakers" mind you, but they are satisfied with $100 soundbars on sale at Costblo; some even buying way overpriced Samsung, etc. garbaage soundbars thinking it's "hi-fi" and thinking the "Atmos" branding makes them totally worth it :lol:

One funny post I remember here was a guy that said having [real] speakers sucked because there were "too many wires" involved :lol: Or something like that. I think it was a person that had some half-decent budget speakers but refused to use them saying he needed a soundbar instead because, you know, less wires :lol:

Granted I'm not at all advocating buying $30k or even $10k speakers, unless you're a millionaire and have the cash to burn; but the point is this is not a deal/thread/product for most people or even RFD really, no matter which way you slice it.
Last edited by ES_Revenge on Oct 18th, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 10, 2013
356 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Audioville had Sopra No.3 for only 1k more if it hadn't been sold.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9810 posts
5841 upvotes
Just to be clear, I'm not one of those who can afford this...but thought it's something to share.

I mean, look at the property market. Somewhere, someone is living in a $3m+ home (and there are quite a number of them in TO and Van). It's a deal for someone. To them, it's probably not much different than us buying openbox QC35II.

Ulterior motive: If I can't get rich, maybe I can try getting others poorer by sharing deals. >-)
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3045 posts
752 upvotes
BC
IslandDeal wrote: A former co-worker spent about 25K on a sound system setup (With a streaming appliance.)

It sounded fantastic but what I don't get is why he didn't hookup his TV, Computer, ETC..... He only used it for music.
High end audiophile gear means the source matters. This is contentious for some, but an example is a toslink out with high jitter versus one with low jitter sound different even though both are digital. A Raspberry Pi with the correct hat and PSU is poplar as a cheap DIY audiophile grade source at the moment. At the price point of these speakers, I don't know if pimped out Pi would do them justice. https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione-sig ... layer.html
Jul 5, 2008
551 posts
277 upvotes
So not related directly to this deal but we're discussing high end audio so here's a link to some audio pron. :)

https://www.octaneseating.com/most-expe ... -speakers/

Personally, as I have tinnitus, I doubt I'd get any more out of these type of speakers than I do out of my 70's Pioneer units (535 -> 1050) and vintage turntables feeding old speakers (Paradigm & KEF). Nice stuff to look at though.
Oct 10, 2013
356 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MSRP of Sopra No2 was only $18000 a few year ago. With dealer discount, you are not really saving much compare to buying a new pair several years ago. This demo pair I bet have been on their floor for a while.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1956 posts
344 upvotes
Central Ontario
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I am not sure people even listen to music anymore. It is just background noise, or something to drown out other noises when you are on the subway etc. I don't know of anyone who settles in for an hour or two in front of a hifi tower to listen to an album or piece of music from a high quality system.
Guilty as charged. I have a dedicated 2 channel _analog_ set up with turntable, tube phono stage, etc., in my living room. My home theatre set up is entirely separate.
People seem to have such low standards these days! I keep a landline for the voice quality while others seem happy with narrow band and choppy cellphone audio, and the speakers in laptops. As I age and my hearing degrades, this is becoming really important. I have a pretty good quality speaker attached to my desktop and I put a sound bar on my TV that I can adjust for good quality.
You lost me here, but I get what you're saying... keeping a 3-4kHz landline for voice quality is a bit of a stretch.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14179 posts
5380 upvotes
Ottawa
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I was wondering whatever happened to audiophilia. At one time "hi-fi" was all the rage and everybody wanted the best speakers and amps and turntables. Guys in electronics stores intimidated customers with arcane terminology and people one-upped each other with their specs. I guess it just moved upscale but WTF, $25k speakers?
$25K speakers are nothing new

Look at these mid-80's babies
http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/ ... inal%20IRS.

Wilson Audio was $30K speakers in the 80's. Most of their speakers are 6 figure now.

Many more examples of speakers that cost 5 and even 6 figures.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1583 posts
1160 upvotes
GTA West
JustMike wrote:
You lost me here, but I get what you're saying... keeping a 3-4kHz landline for voice quality is a bit of a stretch.
You are correct - I have a number of other reasons to keep the landline around. But it does have a clarity you don't always have on a cellphone. Those Bell engineers did a pretty good job setting the standards for that old fashioned telephone service.
Potentially, digital service can be much better and my VOIP phone sounds just as good, but I do get latency issues from time to time.
Oct 23, 2014
277 posts
195 upvotes
Laval, QC
ES_Revenge wrote: $25k+ speakers are nothing new. Grande Utopias were over $30k USD the first time I heard of them, and that was back in the early 00s--I'm sure speakers of similar dollar amounts (and more) existed many years prior as well.
Well inflation has kicked in since the beginning of the 2000’s.. Grande utopia is a little more expensive now. The link is for a single speaker...LOL
Weigh almost 600 pounds per speaker..

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/focal ... akers-each
May 30, 2013
373 posts
290 upvotes
Markham
I am surprised nobody mentioned BOSE!!! LoL
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3611 posts
1918 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I was wondering whatever happened to audiophilia. At one time "hi-fi" was all the rage and everybody wanted the best speakers and amps and turntables. Guys in electronics stores intimidated customers with arcane terminology and people one-upped each other with their specs.

Back when Mr Bean used to work there.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2297 posts
1098 upvotes
Scarborough
Once you hear a properly set up sound system, it really is hard to go back. My wife is in no way an audiophile but after switching to a full atmos revel system, she says the movie theater experience “looks and sounds like shit”. I win. She let me get an OLED too Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes