Shopping Discussion

Aukey and MPOW had their products removed off Amazon due to fake reviews

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2021 10:25 am
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
6427 posts
6870 upvotes
GTA
Menace wrote: Any of those big Chinese brands will have the same fate. It's a part of American take on the Chinese unfair trade practice. I have MPOW stuff, they are fine. However, my MPOW car phone holder broke in less than 6 months, they totally ignored my warranty request. Yes, I will try to stick with AmazonBasic if I can even though they don't everything under the roof.
I agree this could be part of the reason. To be fair, a lot of people shill for these products and give it an unfair raring boost. But on the flipside, there are good products out there, or products that do well at the given price point. Also there are bigger name products that will take advantage of any practice to garner better ratings too. They're just better at gaming the system or hiding it.
Lots of YouTube shills will praise a product or service, and be getting it for free or as a part of a paid sponsorship. Sometimes it is transparent, sometimes it is not. Writing off all cheaper Amazon products as "Chinese crap" is a very broad brush stroke that doesn't tell the full story.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
3067 posts
2911 upvotes
Guelph
So many online reviews are either fake or just not well written. I can't count the number of times I've seen "bad" reviews for a product where the consumer is complaining about something completely irrelevant to the actual product. As well, there are so many fake positive reviews out there, at least half of reviews for products must be fake. Sellers are the ring leaders in this, I've ordered so many products from Amazon just to have the seller send me a letter in the mail or with my package saying they'll give me a gift card for a 5-star review. I never take them up on this offer since I feel that my reviews should be legitimate, but I know many people are.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
3209 posts
2849 upvotes
Cambridge
Menace wrote: Any of those big Chinese brands will have the same fate. It's a part of American take on the Chinese unfair trade practice. I have MPOW stuff, they are fine. However, my MPOW car phone holder broke in less than 6 months, they totally ignored my warranty request. Yes, I will try to stick with AmazonBasic if I can even though they don't everything under the roof.
Not the same, but Amazon Basics isn't that great, by any means. Some of their cables have caught fire and they take products that sell well and just rip them off in near-identical copies. Also have mPOW wireless earbuds and love them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8636 posts
5590 upvotes
Mississauga
The best are idiots who respond to potential customer's questions with "Product looks good but I don't actually own it so I can't help you". :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
2213 posts
2007 upvotes
Ontario
mrweather wrote: The best are idiots who respond to potential customer's questions with "Product looks good but I don't actually own it so I can't help you". :facepalm:
"I don't know" gets me riled up every time
Virgin Plus ($35/20GB for 15 months)
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4649 posts
882 upvotes
RichRFD wrote: "I don't know" gets me riled up every time
It's because Amazon emails you and asks if you can answer the question.
Member
May 30, 2007
365 posts
518 upvotes
Markham
I have a few Aukey products around here, they are really good quality especially their Bluetooth speaker. Having that said, they weren't delisted for being bad products, they were delisted for bad practices. Good product or not its against the policies. But I can see how paying for reviews on top of being a good product can really give them a huge boost.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8581 posts
929 upvotes
Scarborough
orbitdesign wrote: Also have mPOW wireless earbuds and love them.
I have that too, and a Bluetooth speaker. I shouldn't expect too much from their warranty.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
2213 posts
2007 upvotes
Ontario
Kherani wrote: It's because Amazon emails you and asks if you can answer the question.
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. It's more that if you don't know the answer then don't "answer" it saying you don't know the answer. You're wasting your own time as well as everyone else's.
Virgin Plus ($35/20GB for 15 months)
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2517 posts
1851 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
The Aukey car charger I bought was probably the worst thing I've bought in the past decade.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2794 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: The best are idiots who respond to potential customer's questions with "Product looks good but I don't actually own it so I can't help you". :facepalm:
RichRFD wrote: "I don't know" gets me riled up every time
And then there's the "I gave it away as a gift." or "I returned it."

Some of the reviews are not much better. "I bought this charger but it only outputs at 1.0A so I'm giving it 1 star." Meanwhile, it says this on the product page.

Kherani wrote: It's because Amazon emails you and asks if you can answer the question.
"I don't know" is not a valid answer. If you really don't know then don't answer. You said it yourself. Amazon "asks" if you know answer to this question.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26833 posts
24311 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jacnel wrote: So many online reviews are either fake or just not well written. I can't count the number of times I've seen "bad" reviews for a product where the consumer is complaining about something completely irrelevant to the actual product.
Sometimes it's obvious the review is for a different model or even a different product. But I think some of that is Amazon's fault in that they consolidate reviews from older models into the listing for the current model. Presumably that happens by some algorithm that's far from perfect. Or maybe it happens at the seller's request. In any case they're trying to jack up the total number of reviews in order to make the item seem "hotter." Regardless, all of this just makes reviews even less reliable and even less useful.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26833 posts
24311 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
RichRFD wrote: Yes, I'm fully aware of that. It's more that if you don't know the answer then don't "answer" it saying you don't know the answer. You're wasting your own time as well as everyone else's.
Yabbut it would be very simple for Amazon to reword their email, to something like, "If you know the answer then please share it with others. If you don't know or aren't sure then please ignore this request."

I know it's common sense not to answer unless you know for sure, but there's far too little common sense being exercised, both by the recipients of these emails AND by Amazon.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7565 posts
8328 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I thought Amazon only sent out question requests for products you had purchased? How are people even seeing questions to answer if they don't even own it?
bylo wrote: Sometimes it's obvious the review is for a different model or even a different product. But I think some of that is Amazon's fault in that they consolidate reviews from older models into the listing for the current model. Presumably that happens by some algorithm that's far from perfect. Or maybe it happens at the seller's request. In any case they're trying to jack up the total number of reviews in order to make the item seem "hotter." Regardless, all of this just makes reviews even less reliable and even less useful.
tbh I was looking at a product at Walmart the other day and like half the reviews were for a completely different (but all referring to the same one) product. I guess keeping your reviews straight is easier said than done for everyone.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13453 posts
8833 upvotes
Markham
I would argue all Amazon Vine reviews are in the same category as those two companies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26833 posts
24311 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
chemicalxv wrote: I thought Amazon only sent out question requests for products you had purchased? How are people even seeing questions to answer if they don't even own it?
That's true. But just because I own it doesn't mean that I can answer every question that gets asked about it.

Suppose I buy an accessory for my brand x, model y computer and someone asks if it will work with brand a, model b. How would I know? And what real help am I if I just make a guess?

Or suppose I buy that accessory because I need some feature and someone asks about some other feature that I don't need and haven't tested. How useful is my answer if I'm not sure and haven't tested that feature?

Even responses like "I don't know" are unwelcome because they just waste everyone's time having to sift through them.



tbh I was looking at a product at Walmart the other day and like half the reviews were for a completely different (but all referring to the same one) product. I guess keeping your reviews straight is easier said than done for everyone.
veni, vidi, Visa
Newbie
Jul 26, 2016
35 posts
33 upvotes
Mhmmmm......I own numerous Aukey lights and Mpow bluetooth headphones / earphones . I have been using the lights for more than a year now, heavy use too and they work fine. My bluetooth and earphones are also used heavily for work and running..no issues at all. Maybe people are right, it is all about politics.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24801 posts
32549 upvotes
Menace wrote: Any of those big Chinese brands will have the same fate. It's a part of American take on the Chinese unfair trade practice. I have MPOW stuff, they are fine. However, my MPOW car phone holder broke in less than 6 months, they totally ignored my warranty request. Yes, I will try to stick with AmazonBasic if I can even though they don't everything under the roof.
AmazonBasics is sometimes worse, dare I say, often worse.
.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24801 posts
32549 upvotes
Very disappointing that two half-way decent popular brands were pulled.

They picked two out of a 1000 players cheating on their reviews, in a highly selective roundup.

If they're back on Amazon, great, but I'm not keen on the precedence of this selective enforcement.
.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)