Aukey and MPOW had their products removed off Amazon due to fake reviews

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2021 10:25 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6427 posts
6871 upvotes
GTA
RichRFD wrote: Yes, I'm fully aware of that. It's more that if you don't know the answer then don't "answer" it saying you don't know the answer. You're wasting your own time as well as everyone else's.
I think most people that respond are doing it conversationally, not maliciously. They are asked a question and don't quite understand that they don't have to answer, so they default to saying 'I don't know' out of politeness.
I am guessing they are older, or less inclined to understand the online etiquette of interacting with automated questions and responses.
What might be helpful is if Amazon filtered out the I don't know type of questions as an answer.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1724 posts
692 upvotes
The Capital
I've had no issues with the two brands, it's random stuff I have from a webcam to car phone holders. All are good.

I hope they don't do the same for Anker - I've just bought a ton of their stuff for refitting another office at home!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3067 posts
2914 upvotes
Guelph
Phat_cow wrote: I hope Anker doesn't get removed because I actually like their stuff.
Me too I have a bunch of Anker power supplies and charging pads and I love them. Now I'm reconsidering whether to keep my Aukey products after this.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2517 posts
1851 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Anker is a legit company making legit goods. Their stuff isn't cheap either.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6591 posts
3766 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: The best are idiots who respond to potential customer's questions with "Product looks good but I don't actually own it so I can't help you". :facepalm:
Or when Amazon says reviews with a photo are more useful, people who attach a photo of themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5719 posts
1424 upvotes
Good.

I bought an Aukey USB C hub, and the USB-A ports and memory slots went dead within first day of use.

Returned it.

formerly
Public Mobile $40 / 15GB

formerly
Fido $45 / 14GB (5 @ 5 months, 5 @ 18 months)
Dec 6, 2012
574 posts
356 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Wow, I got QC chargers from Aukey, both for the house and the car, I used them almost daily for 5 years without a problem...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6050 posts
5871 upvotes
Vancouver
Menace wrote: Any of those big Chinese brands will have the same fate. It's a part of American take on the Chinese unfair trade practice. I have MPOW stuff, they are fine. However, my MPOW car phone holder broke in less than 6 months, they totally ignored my warranty request. Yes, I will try to stick with AmazonBasic if I can even though they don't everything under the roof.
If that were the case, Anker would be in the news.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8581 posts
929 upvotes
Scarborough
I wouldn't be surprised if that happen. Biden administration isn't very kind to China either.
Spinner wrote: If that were the case, Anker would be in the news.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6050 posts
5871 upvotes
Vancouver
Menace wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if that happen. Biden administration isn't very kind to China either.
Or... it was because of the 7GB data breach on ElasticSearch that revealed this scheme.

This has nothing to do with trade. All these other parent company and child brands are still up.

Anker: Roav, Soundcore, Eufy, Nebula, etc.
Sunvalley: RavPower, Vava, Taotronics, etc.

Aukey is the one that really played the review system to the max. and this is Amazon clamping down.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16940 posts
33326 upvotes
Scarborough
caltran wrote: Anker is a legit company making legit goods. Their stuff isn't cheap either.
Never had a bad experience with Anker. Aukey on the other hand.... not so much.

I avoided mpow after repeatedly catching them trying to recruit members here to shill their deals (shout out to all the members who reported them).
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2137 posts
5352 upvotes
North York ON
Never got bribe cards from Anker products but Sunvalley does give "gifts" in $20 GC for a review.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6427 posts
6871 upvotes
GTA
Keith1411 wrote: Never got bribe cards from Anker products but Sunvalley does give "gifts" in $20 GC for a review.
Add "Yaber" to the list. I posted (it was removed lol) a mini projector deal that came with a bribe card too. And a strongly suggested note that a bad review will make it hard to process refunds...
Now that I am typing it out, I think I should report it to Amazon. It's too bad, because the projector is pretty decent, and was cheap, for these low-end affordable ones.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6388 posts
3097 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
mmagda wrote: I've had no issues with the two brands, it's random stuff I have from a webcam to car phone holders. All are good.

I hope they don't do the same for Anker - I've just bought a ton of their stuff for refitting another office at home!
jacnel wrote:
Me too I have a bunch of Anker power supplies and charging pads and I love them. Now I'm reconsidering whether to keep my Aukey products after this.
TomRFD wrote:
Never had a bad experience with Anker. Aukey on the other hand.... not so much.

I avoided mpow after repeatedly catching them trying to recruit members here to shill their deals (shout out to all the members who reported them).
Keith1411 wrote: Never got bribe cards from Anker products but Sunvalley does give "gifts" in $20 GC for a review.
I don't think Anker is on the hit list, even Apple sells Anker products:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/accessori ... 59d%2B4abd

If Apple selling Anker products isn't a good enough endorsement for Anker, I don't know what is. Slightly Smiling Face
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2787 posts
1949 upvotes
London
Kherani wrote:
It's because Amazon emails you and asks if you can answer the question.
RichRFD wrote: Yes, I'm fully aware of that. It's more that if you don't know the answer then don't "answer" it saying you don't know the answer. You're wasting your own time as well as everyone else's.
Blame Amazon on the method though.

It appears just to be a potential customer emailing another with a question.
It is not unreasonable (and even courteous) to respond back, even if it is "I don't know".
Amazon does not make it as clear as it should be that the email response is posted to the Q&A.

The email should direct you to the Amazon website Q&A, where you answer the question there.
Most of these dud responses would not get posted.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2787 posts
1949 upvotes
London
bylo wrote: Sometimes it's obvious the review is for a different model or even a different product. But I think some of that is Amazon's fault in that they consolidate reviews from older models into the listing for the current model. Presumably that happens by some algorithm that's far from perfect. Or maybe it happens at the seller's request. In any case they're trying to jack up the total number of reviews in order to make the item seem "hotter." Regardless, all of this just makes reviews even less reliable and even less useful.
Very true.

Sometimes the opposite can happen too.
Two products can be listed separately, and each have their own reviews.
The products are identical, except in colour (maybe black and white), and the reviews are quite different.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2137 posts
5352 upvotes
North York ON
https://techcrunch.com/2021/05/11/chine ... om-amazon/
Several accounts belong to the same parent firms, as it’s normal for big sellers, those with more than a million dollars in annual sales, to operate multiple brands on Amazon to optimize sales.

TechCrunch has reached out to Mpower and Aukey, whose Amazon stores are gone and were two of the most successful brands native to the American marketplace.

In total, the suspended accounts contribute over a billion dollars in gross merchandise value (GMV) to Amazon, said Kaziukenas.
So that gives you an idea of the kind of money we're talking about. Amazon must cut off a few sellers to look like they're trying. They can't cut off every offender because that would be like half of their entire marketplace.
Sep 10, 2007
522 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
That data breach article though, my goodness! The amount of customer accounts and info exposed. I mean, was it even worth it to these customers after all, just to get a cheap 'free gift'?
pmb

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3067 posts
2914 upvotes
Guelph
pmb6666 wrote: That data breach article though, my goodness! The amount of customer accounts and info exposed. I mean, was it even worth it to these customers after all, just to get a cheap 'free gift'?
Unfortunately people don't value their data as much as they should..
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16940 posts
33326 upvotes
Scarborough
Keith1411 wrote: https://techcrunch.com/2021/05/11/chine ... om-amazon/

So that gives you an idea of the kind of money we're talking about. Amazon must cut off a few sellers to look like they're trying. They can't cut off every offender because that would be like half of their entire marketplace.
“We take swift action against those that violate them, including suspending or removing selling privileges,”

I don't know what their definition of "swift" is but both of those sellers were doing this for a long time before finally being suspended.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]