• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2018 1:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes

Australia to ban cash payments over A$10,000

The Australian federal government has introduced a new law to ban cash payments over A$10,000 starting in 2019, as a means to limit tax evasion and black-market transactions.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/ ... 996d512f52
https://gizmodo.com/australia-bans-cash ... 1825946888

I wonder if the Canadian government plans to consider something like this, or they are just going to continue their policy of retiring high-denomination bills so that it takes a suitcase full of cash?
https://globalnews.ca/news/4052577/old- ... dget-2018/
38 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
949 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Exp315 wrote: or they are just going to continue their policy of retiring high-denomination bills so that it takes a suitcase full of cash?
https://globalnews.ca/news/4052577/old- ... dget-2018/
It's not a very foolproof policy. They just need someone to exchange with, and do black market transactions in a different currency that still has high value notes. Pretty sure this is already being done anyway.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1911 posts
683 upvotes
Kitchener
Not really sure that its going to work as they hoped. I would assume that for transactions that are legitimate and taxes are to be paid, people would not choose to pay cash, why would you considering a cheque or etransfer or credit card would be easier. If the transaction is trying to avoid taxes than as long as the two parties agree, whats to stop someone paying 25000 in cash for example.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6864 posts
1295 upvotes
Scarborough
So how will 3rd world corrupt politicians move their cash briefcases for deposits in western world if all countries do this, lol
They move cash, not via banking wire
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12051 posts
15237 upvotes
Seem like a stupid law because you can just put transactions below $10,000, like $9999. If it is a bigger amount, split them. eg. If it is a transaction for $27,000, $9000 each transaction.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6148 posts
2904 upvotes
Kingston, ON
LonesomeDove wrote: Seem like a stupid law because you can just put transactions below $10,000, like $9999. If it is a bigger amount, split them. eg. If it is a transaction for $27,000, $9000 each transaction.
$9000 gets you the car, but if you want the engine reinstalled, that’ll be $9000, and if you want doors and a hood, that’ll be another $9k :D
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
some Russian people/officials use large suitcases for carrying money. How they will split them by $10000?
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6005 posts
2274 upvotes
Toronto
nmclean wrote: It's not a very foolproof policy. They just need someone to exchange with, and do black market transactions in a different currency that still has high value notes. Pretty sure this is already being done anyway.
You just need someone to exchange with, you don't even need a different currency. If you and I agree on a cash transaction, we could easily do it. I am curious as to how they'd enforce it in practice.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
2969 posts
2114 upvotes
Calgary
The IMF estimates global illicit fund flows at 2-5% of global GDP. Conservatively, that's over $2 Trillion a year.
Government countermeasures are not even making a dent, with 99.9% of money laundering going undetected, full report here
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
arvind84 wrote: The IMF estimates global illicit fund flows at 2-5% of global GDP. Conservatively, that's over $2 Trillion a year.
Government countermeasures are not even making a dent, with 99.9% of money laundering going undetected, full report here
There are countries like Spain where almost everyone has both official money and "black" money (i.e., off the books), and when you do a transaction the seller asks whether you're paying with official or black money. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
2969 posts
2114 upvotes
Calgary
Exp315 wrote: There are countries like Spain where almost everyone has both official money and "black" money (i.e., off the books), and when you do a transaction the seller asks whether you're paying with official or black money. :)
Same in Asia and the Middle East. Especially when it comes to real estate. I have personally seen property purchases made with suitcases of cash Face With Tears Of Joy.
Though banks are tightening up, where there's a will, there's a way...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
851 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
There are probably more cash transactions like going on than people are aware of.
I sold a motorcycle recently and the guy gave me over a hundred $100 bills. Why? I have no idea and I didn't ask.
When I went to the bank the next day to deposit it, the person in front of me was making a withdrawal, all in cash and a heck of a lot more than I had in my pocket.
I'm sure bank tellers see a lot of this, but of course they aren't allowed to comment to the customer.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3276 posts
1957 upvotes
Kitchener
I agree with the other commenters here; seems like a useless law. It will only have an effect on those that do things legally. Think of someone needing to give their lawyer a $12,000 retainer - unlikely any criminal activity here. Now think of someone giving someone $12,000 cash for doing a major renovation on their house, but everything under the table, no way for the government to find out.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1536 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think it will make it a hassle to be a criminal, although it will not eliminate crime.

Even criminals buy legitimate goods and services, although the money was obtained illegally. I'm thinking of all the bills I have to pay... most of them would be difficult, and a few impossible, to pay with cash.

I can go to pretty much any store and pay in cash, so groceries and the drug store are taken care of. My landlord does not accept cash. If I had a mortgage, the money has to come out of a bank account, and of course I could deposit cash into the bank account, but putting in lots of cash every month will draw questions. I don't know if my dentist and eye doctor accept cash; in the latter case, I only need to go infrequently but the expenses can be quite high (although under $10,000, as not even eye surgery costs that much). I seriously doubt I could buy a plane ticket with cash.

How does the Australian health system work? Public, or private? If it's private it would be a nightmare for a criminal. Having insurance is better than not having it, but will the insurance provider accept cash?

My credit card company does not accept cash. If I wanted to buy something online, it would be harder (though not impossible) to do so; presumably I can buy pre-paid credit cards in cash, or use Paypal and link it to the same bank accounts I'm dumping cold hard cash into. I think this would be really important. Many places will not accept cash, but they're only interested in whether you can pay for it via debit or credit card. They don't need your bank statement.

My phone provider does not accept cash, but I figure a criminal will get a pay-as-you-go plan and could presumably buy phone credit at the store in cash.

A criminal probably wants an alarm system. Can you pay for that in cash? That's an issue if it's an expensive "legitimate" operation that looks the other way as the obvious criminal pays their bill.

Transportation would be a mild problem. No self-respecting gangster takes public transit or rides a bike. They could buy a car or motorcycle in cash, but gangsters don't normally buy reasonably-priced, lightly-used vehicles that cost less than $10,000. They buy flashy cars that provide status and respect, then upgrade them with powerful sound systems, tinted windows, custom engine jobs, etc. The criminal will probably have to go to a not-at-all legal car dealership (this truck fell off the back of a truck) if they want a respectable car.

This is both a bigger and smaller problem for a big criminal. They bring in more than $10,000 per month, or even per day, but they probably know how to launder money. I think it's an even bigger deal for a cash-only business that isn't paying their taxes. That cash-only business needs to pay the rent or mortgage, the power bill, and so forth; in other words, an illegitimate business still has legitimate expenses, and some of these expenses might exceed $10,000 per month (for a big enough business).

I think in general this would be a moderate inconvenience for a criminal, as cash would only be used to deal with criminals, and the criminal needs to get that money into "legitimate" circulation without drawing the bank's attention. Quasi-legitimate and legitimate marijuana dealers (depending on jurisdiction) have this problem, as even where marijuana is legal, the customers are used to paying in cash, and the bank doesn't like that. Even some 100% legitimate businesses run into this (there was a story from the US about a diner that was shut down for a while because customers paid cash and the diner owner was making large cash deposits). I think it would be a bigger problem for a tax-dodging "off the books" business that isn't an outright criminal enterprise.