• Dec 23rd, 2004 2:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 5, 2004
37 posts
Toronto

Authentic Japanese Restaurant

Do any of you know where I can go for an Authentic Japanese Sushi Experience? What I mean is during dinner you sit at these table where it is low on the ground and you sit on these mats and have dinner there.

I hear Nami is the closest as you can get to Authentic Japanese experience.

It doesn't have to be buffet, just want to try anything that is closest to being Authentic Japanese experience. :)
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5053 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
Nami and Hiro are good bets, but there's not a lot of places I know in TO where you sit on tatami mats. More in Vancouver.
May 21, 2003
88 posts
try gonoe on don mills and york mills ( southwest corner ) its right beside the all you can eat japanese restaurant.

Japanese Restaurant Katsura @ prince hotel don mills/york mills

Theres one at market village right beside city hollywood...forgot the name

a friend of mine recommended a one somewhere around steeles/dixie called kesiki (sp)... so I heard they take a pix of you and everytime you go, and have a 7 course tasting menu, and everytime you go the 7 course menu is different..be prepared to spend 100+ each person and couple hours for different
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1084 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
authentic or NOT... u cant beat sushi inn in yorkville for value!
[OP]
Oct 5, 2004
37 posts
Toronto
is it called Sushi Inn? Do you sit on tatami mats? How much approx. dinner for two?
mtevel wrote:authentic or NOT... u cant beat sushi inn in yorkville for value!
[OP]
Oct 5, 2004
37 posts
Toronto
Both Nami and Hiro sit on tatami mats? How much is it approx. dinner for two? Are there anything on the menu you would point out?

Thanks!
milhaus wrote:Nami and Hiro are good bets, but there's not a lot of places I know in TO where you sit on tatami mats. More in Vancouver.
Sep 27, 2003
9574 posts
2289 upvotes
Newmarket
Theres a couple restaurants in Tokyo---what were they called..
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1288 posts
38 upvotes
Just came back from Nami with my girlfriend. We sat at the Robata table and the chef was very helpful. We asked for his recommendation and we chose the Tiger Prawn & Black Cod. Absolutely fabulous, although the portions for the black cod were a tad small. We also ordered a sushi pizza, some sashimi, spicy tuna roll, bbq eel sushi and beef teriyaki. The sushi pizza IMO was a little bland & boring, my girlfriend quite liked it though. The sushi and sashimi was quite good. We also had green tea ice cream and green tea tiramisu for dessert. Green tea ice cream was quite good, as were PARTS of the tiramisu. They had a scoop of vanila ice cream with some kind of green herb in it. Not my cup of tea.

Also, I should mention we originally picked this place because we wanted the athentic tatami mats. However they mentioned they were not for tables of 2. While we were there we did see the tatami mat rooms and they were quite big so I would imagine only for a group. Very good service.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2004
37 posts
Toronto
how much did you pay for your meal? for the amoun of food you ordered, was it filling? I mean, you ordered a fair bit, so I was hoping it was filling, I don't want to spend a bundle and walk out of there still thinking about McDonalds or Wendys.. :lol:

how is the decor?
Oct 13, 2004
125 posts
1 upvote
Sounds like a good meal but if you want a TRULY authentic Japanese experience just hit your local Japanese noodle place. In Japan I never went to a restaurant once that served green tea ice cream (no dairy!) or sushi pizza or black cod or any of these things! They sure sound great though, but don't strive too hard for the authentic Japan thing cause you're just not going to find it....and no one sits on tatami matting anymore in restaurants except in the back rooms of local places or in super expensive traditional Edo-style restaurants.

I'd hit the local all you can eat Western-style sushi and have a good feast! Keep in mind too that nearly all of the Japanese restaurants here are Korean owned so an authentic experience will almost always prove elusive. :) That said, the sushi here is NOT like it is in Japan, but it can be pretty yummy so enjoy!
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
tokyoagogo wrote:Sounds like a good meal but if you want a TRULY authentic Japanese experience just hit your local Japanese noodle place. In Japan I never went to a restaurant once that served green tea ice cream (no dairy!) or sushi pizza or black cod or any of these things! They sure sound great though, but don't strive too hard for the authentic Japan thing cause you're just not going to find it....and no one sits on tatami matting anymore in restaurants except in the back rooms of local places or in super expensive traditional Edo-style restaurants.

I'd hit the local all you can eat Western-style sushi and have a good feast! Keep in mind too that nearly all of the Japanese restaurants here are Korean owned so an authentic experience will almost always prove elusive. :) That said, the sushi here is NOT like it is in Japan, but it can be pretty yummy so enjoy!
thought they we're all chinese owned and operated :cheesygri
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
'K™B.
wpooh888 wrote:Just came back from Nami with my girlfriend. We sat at the Robata table and the chef was very helpful. We asked for his recommendation and we chose the Tiger Prawn & Black Cod. Absolutely fabulous, although the portions for the black cod were a tad small. We also ordered a sushi pizza, some sashimi, spicy tuna roll, bbq eel sushi and beef teriyaki. The sushi pizza IMO was a little bland & boring, my girlfriend quite liked it though. The sushi and sashimi was quite good. We also had green tea ice cream and green tea tiramisu for dessert. Green tea ice cream was quite good, as were PARTS of the tiramisu. They had a scoop of vanila ice cream with some kind of green herb in it. Not my cup of tea.

Also, I should mention we originally picked this place because we wanted the athentic tatami mats. However they mentioned they were not for tables of 2. While we were there we did see the tatami mat rooms and they were quite big so I would imagine only for a group. Very good service.
sounds like a decent meal, but i think you were more imperssed with the decor and maybe the ambiance..

none of the food you had were traditionally-authentic Japanese dishes, if at the very most, only slightly Japanese influenced.
Mar 10, 2003
211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
noob888 wrote:Do any of you know where I can go for an Authentic Japanese Sushi Experience? What I mean is during dinner you sit at these table where it is low on the ground and you sit on these mats and have dinner there.

I hear Nami is the closest as you can get to Authentic Japanese experience.

It doesn't have to be buffet, just want to try anything that is closest to being Authentic Japanese experience. :)

you should go to Miyagi at hwy7 and leslie...it's in the CIBC plaza or Walker Hill Korean BBQ....the restaurant is right beside Golden Court restaurant...

the place is owned by japanese the last time i been there and they have an area where you have to take off your shoes sit on the ground or whatever it is.....

my favourite thing there was the sweet shrimp sashimi, but they only have that at certain times of the year, they have a small fish tank where they keep the shrimps and then prepare it fresh when you order...they fry the head for you, taste so good!
Mok
Feb 17, 2004
966 posts
19 upvotes
Where would one find such a place in Vancouver too?
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."