• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2017 9:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1781 posts
167 upvotes

Auto and Home insurance, auto insurance lapse

Shopping for house insurance for a new build closing Dec.19.2017. Depending on the rates I may need to switch car insurance companies to take advantage of discount and bundle insurance. Recently I've signed up with AVIVA for auto insurance, and they've informed me I had a break in insurance between Feb-2008 and July-2008. From July-2008 that was 9 years and 5 months ago. How long do insurance companies hold insurance breaks on file for? Though it was 9 years. I started having insurance around 2005.

Also the insurance company which is coming back with the best rates is Johnson insurance. Thing is about 7 years ago they have cancelled my insurance. This happened when I tried switching to them, after being 1 or so with Johnson, they've cancelled my policy. The reason was that I did not disclose my moms accident, which I did not even remember about or I'm not sure if they even asked that question. I bothered Johnson till the charge was dropped, which they did. Just not sure if this incident is on file at Johonson Inc? Or is it something I can just ask them about. Don't want to really be going through that process again though it was painful.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34559 posts
20604 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kanetinx.ca
Insurancehotline.com
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3238 posts
1865 upvotes
Edmonton
reggyDeal wrote:
Also the insurance company which is coming back with the best rates is Johnson insurance.
Johnson Insurance is not an insurance company, it's a broker. Double check to see what company it is.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3238 posts
1865 upvotes
Edmonton
reggyDeal wrote: Shopping for house insurance for a new build closing Dec.19.2017. Depending on the rates I may need to switch car insurance companies to take advantage of discount and bundle insurance.
The difference in house insurance among companies is huge and even bigger than before. Do not go based on price alone. Check to see if they have a limitation and/or higher deductible for hail and/or sewer back-up. Also, a big thing now is overland flooding.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5145 posts
2745 upvotes
Toronto
Check sonnet too and be sure to disclose everything.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
usually on the auto application it asks about accidents in the past 6 years. when a Broker quotes, we like to know how long have you continuously been insured, without interruption and based on this, your rate is calculated.
Cancelled policies for non pay for example are only rated (for auto) back 3 years..
Strange how they would cancel you for non disclosure... they would have seen the accident had they pulled an autoplus report. Was your mom even on your policy?

Perhaps shop around and speak to some brokers in person on the phone rather than doing online quotes
reggyDeal wrote: Shopping for house insurance for a new build closing Dec.19.2017. Depending on the rates I may need to switch car insurance companies to take advantage of discount and bundle insurance. Recently I've signed up with AVIVA for auto insurance, and they've informed me I had a break in insurance between Feb-2008 and July-2008. From July-2008 that was 9 years and 5 months ago. How long do insurance companies hold insurance breaks on file for? Though it was 9 years. I started having insurance around 2005.

Also the insurance company which is coming back with the best rates is Johnson insurance. Thing is about 7 years ago they have cancelled my insurance. This happened when I tried switching to them, after being 1 or so with Johnson, they've cancelled my policy. The reason was that I did not disclose my moms accident, which I did not even remember about or I'm not sure if they even asked that question. I bothered Johnson till the charge was dropped, which they did. Just not sure if this incident is on file at Johonson Inc? Or is it something I can just ask them about. Don't want to really be going through that process again though it was painful.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1781 posts
167 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: Check sonnet too and be sure to disclose everything.
I'm thinking down the road perhaps renting a room out to a tenant, sharing the kitchen. Do insurance companies need to know this ahead of time, do they need to know who exactly is in the house hold.

Not sure if I should cancel my car insurance policy and switch over to a single company (if needed) take advantage of bundle discount or go separate for home and auto insurance for now. Would have to pay the 1 month penalty for auto. Is home insurance the same thing, were if you cancel before the 1 year term is up, you get charged 1 month contract break fee? Or is there something more to it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1781 posts
167 upvotes
Another Q, if you drive occasionally during work, to meetings or visit different buildings, is this something you need to disclose?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3529 posts
2885 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: Another Q, if you drive occasionally during work, to meetings or visit different buildings, is this something you need to disclose?
Yes, you need to disclose this. You need to disclose everything that may affect your ability to receive insurance and that may affect a positive resolution in the case of a claim.

You want insurance to cover you in the case of an accident or claim and not to deny the claim because you failed to disclosed something. Failing to disclose something that could deny a claim means that you are paying a premium every year for what is essentially no insurance.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3529 posts
2885 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: I'm thinking down the road perhaps renting a room out to a tenant, sharing the kitchen. Do insurance companies need to know this ahead of time, do they need to know who exactly is in the house hold.

Not sure if I should cancel my car insurance policy and switch over to a single company (if needed) take advantage of bundle discount or go separate for home and auto insurance for now. Would have to pay the 1 month penalty for auto. Is home insurance the same thing, were if you cancel before the 1 year term is up, you get charged 1 month contract break fee? Or is there something more to it?
Yes, the insurance company needs to know who is living at the residence. They even want to know what pets are in the residence.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11256 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto
reggyDeal wrote: Another Q, if you drive occasionally during work, to meetings or visit different buildings, is this something you need to disclose?
If you drive to work and park there 8 hours and go home, that's normal.
You need to disclosure if you frequently drive to different sites, differences places for work and business reason, then you need to tell them.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
they will need to know if this person has a valid drivrs lic.. if they do, you will need to disclose it to your ins company as this person will be living in the same household as you and has access to your vehicle. You may be able to exclude them as a driver. You can save if you bundle the home & auto with the same company. If you cancel either mid term, you most likely will have a fee for time on risk.
reggyDeal wrote: I'm thinking down the road perhaps renting a room out to a tenant, sharing the kitchen. Do insurance companies need to know this ahead of time, do they need to know who exactly is in the house hold.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
absolutely you do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)