Automotive

Auto Insurance

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2011 1:42 pm
Feb 6, 2011
1 posts
ontario

Auto Insurance

I had recently canceled my auto insurance(august 2010) as i had moved closer to work, my premium then was about 230.00 per month. Now I'm attempting to acquire auto insurance then quotes I'm given is in excess of 450.00 per month. How is this possible?
I'm 35years with no priors or claims.
Car 2000 Toyota Corolla.
How is this possible?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
pointy wrote: I had recently canceled my auto insurance(august 2010) as i had moved closer to work, my premium then was about 230.00 per month. Now I'm attempting to acquire auto insurance then quotes I'm given is in excess of 450.00 per month. How is this possible?
Car 2000 Toyota Corolla.
How is this possible?

This is because you had cancelled your insurance. Instead, you should have reduced your coverage to theft only in order to keep your policy going and then had your full coverage reinstated when you start driving again. When you had cancelled your policy any new insurer will treat you as someone who didn't have continuous coverage. Not good. You might want to call your old insurer and see if they can do anything for you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
Frankie3s wrote: This is because you had cancelled your insurance. Instead, you should have reduced your coverage to theft only in order to keep your policy going and then had your full coverage reinstated when you start driving again. When you had cancelled your policy any new insurer will treat you as someone who didn't have continuous coverage. Not good. You might want to call your old insurer and see if they can do anything for you.

Yup.

theft is like 50 bucks a month.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
pointy wrote: I had recently canceled my auto insurance(august 2010) as i had moved closer to work, my premium then was about 230.00 per month. Now I'm attempting to acquire auto insurance then quotes I'm given is in excess of 450.00 per month. How is this possible?
Car 2000 Toyota Corolla.
How is this possible?

yup, you had interrupted insurance coverage.
depending on where you live, $230/mth could be expensive for a rolla.
how many years of experience driving in Canada?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
$450 for insurance, ridiculous.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
it hasn't been that long, should affect that much...

shop around
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Apr 9, 2008
112 posts
5 upvotes
I don't know what's going on with insurance in Ontario but I just got my renewal.

I was paying from 850 to 900/yr for the past 5-6 years on my little beater...downtown Toronto...pleasure use...liability only.

no tickets, no claims, nothing...

I get my renewal today and it's $1499/yr...

needless to say, I'm SUPER PISSSSSSED and it looks like even at $1499, that's a good price!!
...Nothing will cook your goose faster than a hot tongue...
Sponsored Poster
Sep 20, 2008
1193 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Go to www.kanetix.ca and find yourself inexpensive insurance. It's the only website I have ever
Used.
Ray SimplyTire
Sponsored Poster
Sep 20, 2008
1193 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
loritom wrote: I don't know what's going on with insurance in Ontario but I just got my renewal.

I was paying from 850 to 900/yr for the past 5-6 years on my little beater...downtown Toronto...pleasure use...liability only.

no tickets, no claims, nothing...

I get my renewal today and it's $1499/yr...

needless to say, I'm SUPER PISSSSSSED and it looks like even at $1499, that's a good price!!

This is downright un-reasonable. You should be shopping around too. Call Allstate Insurance. They have offices everywhere and broker themselves.
Ray SimplyTire
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
It's a scam
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
The story does not seem to add up. 35 years old, no claims, 10+ year old appliance type car and $450 per month. I was paying $600 a year for a vehicle of that vintage. If your driving record is that good, you should be able to shop for better rates without issue. Make a few phone calls.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
just an FYI.....They're agents who work for that company and only sell for that company they don't Broker....

An Insurance Broker, on the other hand, works for the client and shops several markets for the client.
SimplyTire wrote: This is downright un-reasonable. You should be shopping around too. Call Allstate Insurance. They have offices everywhere and broker themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
just depends on what company you're with as some had higher increases recently than others .... but 450/ mo with that experience seems substantially higher than it needs to be..but all considered, there could be other issues which could be generating that premium that we don't know of..
will888 wrote: The story does not seem to add up. 35 years old, no claims, 10+ year old appliance type car and $450 per month. I was paying $600 a year for a vehicle of that vintage. If your driving record is that good, you should be able to shop for better rates without issue. Make a few phone calls.